• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Multi-band wire antenna

If your space is limited you could build a trapped dipole. I might still build one and put it up. I have not done any research on it yet but I plan on it.

My issue with a dipole is that I don't have as much room in the front as in the back and I don't have room for half an 80 meter dipole in the front <- that's why the offset feed is looking attractive.

My issue with a dipole is that I don't have as much room in the front as in the back and I don't have room for half an 80 meter dipole in the front <- that's why the offset feed is looking attractive.
Try a earch end fed. 9 to 1 balun and 30 ft of wire (you can change wire to suit )I use a modified version using 63 ft of wire and a choke on the coax run horizontal off the house . It works great ,in fact on 20 meters and 15 meters it outperforms a mono band dipole. No tuner required for 10, 15 ,20 or the bottom end of 80 Use a tuner on the other bands. like I said you can change the length of wire to get low vswr on your favorite bands .

Last edited:
80 meters has it's cliques, as well as all bands per say.
80 meter outlaws, most cliques sound like chicken band conversations, and are not worth even joining in the conversations.

back to the topic, I enjoy a fan or multiband dipole, single coax feed multiple bands I.E. a 20/40/80 meter fan dipole will allow 4 bands with 15 meters being used on the third harmonic of the 40 meter leg.

second fan dipole for 10/12/17 meters, two feed lines. 10 through 80 meters no antenna coupler (tuner) required.

Reactions: binrat
Not to go off, but if say one has a vertical style that base loaded, center loaded, or top loaded If I am not mistaken. My question is shortening a dipole as an end making it an end loaded design, how would one do it and be multi banded as much as possible and cover max amount of bandwidth as well. Question is can a dipole be top loaded? and if so how or any sites with how too and shorten it and make multi banded top loaded.

Last edited:
basically same, coils is pure inductance traps are capacitance and inductance, if I remember correctly(n)

if you do not have the room for a straight run on the leg of the dipole, then bend it around, make it fit in your lot it will work.

Explain exactly what you are trying to do please?

what bands you want to work.

I will have a better idea of what you are working with vs what you want to accomplish and you may get some more replies.

Basically shorten it but with full legnth like could but wide enough to do band but get away with as short as possible but still act as a full legnth but be top loaded. Now is it even possible? Or what will I sacrifice, I am just trying to get back into all this and asking never hurts lol.

Last edited:
inverted L with ground radials, i think that was mentioned may be your best bet for multi band use

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.