• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My old friend President Jackson.

The radio is equipped with dual-mosfet finals and a heatsink.
Supposed to be easily modifiable for 11m.
Just have to wait for the review, unless someone else can post the specs before I do.

Maybe they will bring back the 2510.
If it will sell; they will build it.

If they bring it back, I bet it'd be un modifiable.

If they bring it back, I bet it'd be un modifiable.

Some guy in his shack designed a chip replacement for the 2510. Chipswitch. Give it time and I bet a guy will do the same for the 980. If they brought back the 2600 and not the 2510, someone would find a way to mod it.

If Ranger has their hands in it, it will be modifiable.

Some guy in his shack designed a chip replacement for the 2510. Chipswitch. Give it time and I bet a guy will do the same for the 980. If they brought back the 2600 and not the 2510, someone would find a way to mod it.

If Ranger has their hands in it, it will be modifiable.

That's true!

I've always liked the style of these radios. Nice to see an attempt to revive the old school look. It's just a decent looking radio, simple looks and simple operation.

I've been encouraged by the recent rash of differing export offerings lately. Seems like manufacturers are trying to tap into the market. I've spent a great deal of cash in the past few months trying them out. So far, I've been disappointed.

Of course, I'll have to order one of these as well.

I've been waiting for a resurrection of a decent 10 meter all mode rig. I'd like to see a multi band all purpose rig. Something with 2, 6, 10 and 12 meters. If it covered the freeband section as well, it would be even cooler. A rig like that would need capital behind it. None of the big three would have anything to do with it, if it was modifiable for 11 meters and beyond.

I remember talking with a Ranger tech years ago. He said that they were looking at making a 2, 6 and 10 meter rig. Must have hit a wall somewhere.

Just have to wait for the review, unless someone else can post the specs before I do.

Did the guy tell you how to mod it?

Did the guy tell you how to mod it?

He just said that it was relatively easy to do; he was going to do it for the radio I ordered before he sent to me.

I will ask him how the mod is done and any info he has on it for the review . . .

EDIT:
A couple of the undesirable features of the original silver face 'Jacko' was an incurable poor AM transmit performance and bad timing on the AGC circuit/receiver overload.

Wondering if this SuperStar/RCI version worked those flaws out.
Either way - I'm gonna find out.

Last edited:

just got off the phone with dave at DTB and he says it doesn't use mosfet but a copy of the old 455( i may be wrong on the number) and that he believes it's the original board because it's using some components that aren't made anymore . his $169.99 price includes a alignment , conversion to cover 11 meters and a basic tune . says they're doing about 30 watts pep but vary a little from one radio to another . i asked how much to add a variable deadkey for use with different amps and he said $30 extra .

robb , i don't have a preference between a transistor or MOSFET final(s) and i'm very much looking forward to your review ....... and also hope the "incurable poor AM transmit performance and bad timing on the AGC circuit/receiver overload" problems you mentioned don't happen .

THANKS GROGAN ! :)

just got off the phone with dave at DTB and he says it doesn't use mosfet but a copy of the old 455( i may be wrong on the number) and that he believes it's the original board because it's using some components that aren't made anymore . his $169.99 price includes a alignment , conversion to cover 11 meters and a basic tune . says they're doing about 30 watts pep but vary a little from one radio to another . i asked how much to add a variable deadkey for use with different amps and he said $30 extra .

robb , i don't have a preference between a transistor or MOSFET final(s) and i'm very much looking forward to your review ....... and also hope the "incurable poor AM transmit performance and bad timing on the AGC circuit/receiver overload" problems you mentioned don't happen .

THANKS GROGAN ! :)
Hmmm . . . I have no doubt that DTB is right. His reputation precedes him. But Wayne at 'The CB Shop' has also been into several of these radio before shipping them out . . . So this mystery grows . . .

Think you mean the MRF477 for that part number; a 40 watt device. That device was used in the original Jacko and even the 2510 IIRC. They are an expensive part (between $50 to $60/apiece) to replace. From what can be read about, they are not exactly a trouble-free device either. Some seem to have no problem with this device and some go through them like a small bag of potato chips.

I hope it is the MOSFET in the new Jacko. The International Rectifier IRF-520N MOSFET can be had for as little as $6 a pair and are commonly found. The Radio Shack IRF-510 part can be found $2.50/each and can be substituted too. Personally, I think that would be a more practical improvement over the Motorola MRF477. Two IRF-520N's will put out as much or more than the original MRF477 will (two IRF's can fetch about 60 watts PEP).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
WOW !! given the cost of the fets vs. 477's and the problems you say the 477 has i'm hoping there are fets in them . i wonder if RCI found a bunch of the original boards and built radios with them ..... and have new boards with newer/currently available components for them after the originals run out ? if not it would seem there will be a finite number of these jacksons available ..... which would mean get them while you can .

Even if it's the MRF455 like some of the Lincolns used, that's an expensive transistor these days. Booty said Dave told him it was a copy of the 455, so maybe an eleflow part. This will be an interesting radio.

Even if it's the MRF455 like some of the Lincolns used, that's an expensive transistor these days. Booty said Dave told him it was a copy of the 455, so maybe an eleflow part. This will be an interesting radio.

i said i think he said 455 ........... having a good day here ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.