• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My old friend President Jackson.

I'd think a credit card company would help with a charge back for those that are disappointed.

DTB Radio seems to know where they come from. Just look at his description.

http://dtbradio.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=196&osCsid=2e2443d8dd97b6d89004693427586c43

Copper is cryptic (no surprise here)

http://www.copper.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=22_23_26&products_id=2045

CB Radios Plus is a little cryptic as well.

http://www.cbradiosplus.com/product_p/4025.htm

They should be up front with their customers: Hey! We got these old ass radios some hoarder parted with. They are like 30 + years old and stink. They work for now, but we can't warranty them or provide parts. Wanna take a chance?

Reactions: 2 people
A class action suit requires too many plaintiffs to be filed for the same complaint. This would also have to be filed in a federal court because the plaintiffs exist in many different parts of the country. The complaint would be for product misrepresentation. Anyone that bought this radio - the consumer, retailers, and perhaps distributors alike would qualify.

The 'unknown distributor' is known to the retailers. Bet it is their regular outlet dealer; so wouldn't be hard to locate and subpoena. If it isn't; then the added expense to hire a 'dick' to get to the bottom of it will just be accrued in the final judgement/settlement. No one will want to be left to hold the bag if they don't have to; so they will have to give up the info - or be the one that gets the suit.

The radio isn't illegal; it is a 10m radio and complies to Part 95.
That issue had been discussed and explained on this forum several times.

When several hundreds of these radios have been sold under the illusion of being new and then fail (my JA just failed the other day), it helps to know that this forum may have made it easier to get that remedy. How long does it take for a 30 year old radio to fail? Much sooner - than later. Again, this is not all based upon the radio failure; it is based upon the product being falsely represented. A while back, Shioda (forum member, private attorney) started a thread for those whom eBay had wronged concerning some radio gear. Ebay denied it all. Turned into a class action event. He won the case against them, and eBay had to pay off.

You would be surprised how people suddenly will 'kick the tires and light the fires' just to stay out of a legal entanglement. Including RangerUSA if they are the party that sold these radios to that distributor and telling them that it is a new product. It would be cheaper for RangerUSA to just honor the warranty than to pay the winning attorney and his clients out of their profits when they can so easily write all of these warranty repairs off of their corporate tax if they are behind it and continue to deny it. It really would be in their best interest to just warranty them.

;)

It complies with part 95?:glare: I think not. Show me the type acceptance cirtificate.....

It can be discussed till your blue in the face but I am affraid the radio is illegal just like all of the other 10 meter rigs are. Go and look at the FCC website and see for yourself. Any of those 10 meter radios that can be modified fo cb use IS illegal. It is right on their website.

I would be really supprised to see anything come out of this situation. But stranger things have happened.;)

Even the MRF455 is out of production.

This new job I have is taking me to new areas. Since I have been kicked out of the golden screwdriver's shack I used to go to, I have found new solder monkeys to mess with.

I have stumbled upon two shops from the "white list" and was surprised when they had no idea who Eleflow was.

The other shops it didn't surprise me.

I should probably get a life or seek help. I enjoy asking them questions that baffle them like "Did you check that radio for spurs?" Or, "I'm interested in this Galaxy, could I see it on the scope before I decide?"

Eleflow is a junk transistor. If you have used one and it has not smoked on you just wait. Your second or third surly will go up in smoke.

Those eleflow transistors that are made in the uk do work, but I have seen that they are not consistant from one to another. The gain on these is all over the place.

Good for use in a pinch, but I would not rely on em'.

It complies with part 95?:glare: I think not. Show me the type acceptance cirtificate.....

It can be discussed till your blue in the face but I am affraid the radio is illegal just like all of the other 10 meter rigs are. Go and look at the FCC website and see for yourself. Any of those 10 meter radios that can be modified fo cb use IS illegal. It is right on their website.

I would be really supprised to see anything come out of this situation. But stranger things have happened.;)

How about you link that page here?

The Radios are not Illegal, the FCC has admitted that in court, As sold out of the Box they are legal.
Ten Meter radios ( part 97) do not require a "type acceptance", you can build your own.
One of the Administrators here called the FCC and asked if it was legal to use a "export 10 meter radio" on the Amateur Bands, the reply was that , yes as long as you have a license for the bands(s) being operated on, it is legal.
The Famous list splashed all over the internet was written by a FCC field agent.
This is old stuff, but in his own e-mails he was confused about what a illegal ten meter radio was.
That Famous list can not be found on the FCC web site.
One example was the HR 2510, I bought my first one from AES as a very legit ten meter radio.
These same radios are often sold normally in other country's were the US FCC has no say in the matter.
Were everyone get`s confused is they are NOT part 95 CB radios
Regardless if they will work there or not.
If you dig around in the old postings you can find lots of info about this topic.

Jeff

Reactions: 3 people
IMHO, It is going to be tough to go after Ranger ....I am sure Shioda can bring something to the table if he see`s the thread.
It is just like when Ranger was Manufacturing the Early "Galaxy" line of Non DX Radio`s....The Pluto and several other radios that had Ranger Boards in them.
They were indeed built by Ranger, but they were built by Ranger Inc for the Nochman Bros. in New York. They also imported and sold the Pluto, Saturn, Saturn Turbo, Galaxy Melika and a few other non "DX" models. No contact number, no warranty written, expressed or implied and no returns.
I am curious, did the radio come with a Operators Manual, and is any warranty Info found in it?
The original Galaxy radio ( non DX models) had no warranty info in the back of the pamphlet as do the later DX models.
The other thing is that there is enough coin in the kitty for them to Buck The FCC, ( United States Attorney Generals office ) you better be prepared to dig deep to go after Ranger.
Anyone know now who is Really is behind the SuperStar line of radios now days?
Yes, Ranger builds ( built ) the boards but who is the principal behind the name?
Were is Northstar when you need a question answered......

You might well seek relief through a charge back via your card company simply by calling it a defective product, but a class action law suit is another thing.

Jeff

Eleflow is a junk transistor. If you have used one and it has not smoked on you just wait. Your second or third surly will go up in smoke.

I have used several Eleflow replacements and not had a problem, sure you got Genuine Eleflow, or Chinese knockoffs?

Jeff

The 575 m6 is an excellent choice.

Couldn't agree more,its one of the few thing us in the north of the Uk agree with those from the south like my pal Bob, the jackson combined with an astatic 575-m6 will give just about any hf set a run for its money on tx audio,I've lost count of how many people asked if I was on my ts50 or my mates icom 706 when all I was using was a jackson,an astatic 575-m6,a zetagi b300p and a sirio hp4000, the biggest bang you'd get for your buck new about 5 years ago when the radio and microphone were still available and the recession hadn't bit, from a decent location I could outdo just about every base station in my city,be it line of sight or dx.

Just preheat linear with a few quick bursts into a below 2.0:1 swr of fm carrier at level 2 then switch radio and linear to ssb, set linear to level 4 and your good to go for hours on end, peaks about 130 - 150w depending on your voice, and sounds just about as good as it gets on SSB if you set the microphone properly. If you want to batter it too level six be prepared to carry plenty 20mm 10 amp fuses and a screwdriver,it don't like that sort of abuse.

President Jackson is a DUCK on AM.. One of the worse sounding radios ive ever owned for AM use is my Jackson..

President Jackson is a DUCK on AM.. One of the worse sounding radios ive ever owned for AM use is my Jackson..

I wouldn't buy a Jacko, or even a 2510 for AM work. I wouldn't buy a Galaxy for SSB work. Radios like the Jackson are built for the SSB crowd, I would bet exclusively. Much the same way a Galaxy is built pretty much exclusively for the AM crowd.

Reactions: 1 person
My superstar ja is still going strong,i used it yesterday to talk to Australia.I really like mine I think im going to sell everything else i own. Im going to keep the jackson and my 2950 and thats it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated