• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My old friend President Jackson.

My Radio is still going also and I'm told it sounds pretty good on AM and I'm using a Crap Astatic D104 M6 with one of those switches that are about as awful and cheep as you can get. I still like the radio and do not plan on getting rid of it.(y)

President Jackson is a DUCK on AM.. One of the worse sounding radios ive ever owned for AM use is my Jackson..

was designed solely for SSB pirating of 11m, AM and to a lesser degree FM as its not too bad, it's far from perfect mind,are afterthoughts,

Ancient Modulation has little place in the 21st century anyway, only SSBOPHOBICS use it.

I received a coppers flyer and saw this Superstar JA for $150 I always liked the look of the old jackson's I have owen'd a few over the years I never liked the squelch circuit It was bit choppy no real hysteresis but that was just a minor complaint and I don't remember getting any real bad reports on AM. Since I can deal with any alignment issues or needed modes I will take a chance and buy one of these new/old radios, something new to play with. thanks to everyone for the good/bad reviews of this thing.

I believe cbradiosplus.com has a better price. Also, you may want to call beforehand, I think they are out of stock. Copper is bad about showing items that are not available.

Edit: looks like cbradiosplus.com is out of stock. I don't even see it listed anymore.

I had placed the order with Coppers today I guess i will find out on Monday if they have it still in stock.. Thanks

Jackson is a good rig.

Hello Gents,
I must tell you that I have gone through this entire thread, I found myself going in all different directions (in my head) from what you guys went through.
Before I go any further I would like to quickly tell you about myself: I am a tech that was forced by medical issues in '05 to end my love for electronics. I was so frustrated that I just stopped talking as well. Being that my eyesight has gotten back to normal...The bug is biting!
The guys here I see are humble good people that got ripped off with this fake Jackson (J.A.) I knew as soon as I saw that name there was going to be problems.
It would seem that this run of radios were being stored in a place that I would agree in the discussions in this thread the men here have had. I wonder if any of you still have your radios? if so would you be able to take a full picture of the pc board?
from what I could see it does look like a copy of the Jackson with a hint of the very early RCI boards. What the BS is with the case screws is beyond me.. I believe that if you can solve this issue it would "speak volumes". I am sure we can all agree that the case screws were changed either because the radios were repaired or modded, no matter what I think it is a stateside hack, and not RCI.
Now back to the Jackson, this radio is capable of some awesome AM TX audio ; I have two of them..I won't part with them. In addition a good practice is to "strap" all 6 IF cans plus the crystal filter, and crystal ( someone here did this thread). the last thing I would advise is when you "unlock" the fine clarifier.. cut the one diode, one end goes to board ground, the other end goes STRAIGHT to 8 VOLTS..NO POTS NO NOTHING! IF YOU DO IT THIS WAY FINE, AND COURSE WILL TRACK TOGETHER! If the fine is at 9 and the course is at three...they will still track exactly together.
Note: All of my records have been packed away...I am going by memory, so would someone please fill in the blanks. If anyone has questions..Please ask. I am only trying to be of help.
Larry

I still have my new president JA radio and it works great on both AM and SSB. AM was a little weak as with the jackson but there is 2 different controlled carrier mods that wakes the AM up. I have a jackson and a JA and would not part with either one. with the controlled carrier mods AM will swing almost as good as SSB and the audio is right up there with most of the other radios now. there is also a couple resisters you can swap for more audio also.

Larry what shop did you use to have. the only shop owner I know of was Larry at quack shack years ago.

Greetings Mr. Sonoma,
I am now intrigued by what you said about "carrier controlled modulation" I have seen any yet...but like I had stated 2005 is the last time I had anything to do with radios.
Please know something, I am very glad to hear that the "JA" is still running; I was starting to think all of the JA's you and the other fellows here got taken..Glad it worked out. btw.. did you unlock the fine clarifier? Also I see some of the guys are running radios at 5ow...It is just crazy to do this, the MRF 477 is a great transistor!
use the darn things at 30w and by a high drive amp.
I also find it amusing how the folks like the new stuff over the old Uniden exports. Look to each their own...But a oscilloscope does not lie..Also I would shoot
skip with my Jackson ohighr Grant and hold my own with the other high power radios. Oh and... the audio coming out of my TRC457/458 puts those; radios to shame. The older the better.
Ok as to your question..Never had a shop; I worked out of my house.

both of my Presiden mobiles swing about 28 watts on SSB and about 5 less on AM. I am not that into the new radios myself. I just stick to the older radios such as 858 PLL rigs as the washingtons . my personal mobiles are in the line of jacksons or cobra 148 , old versions, etc. I had posted one of the controlled carrier mods here in this posting which was the easiest to do and just included a jumper at D55 and one resister lifted. glad to hear you are getting able to get back into the radio era.

Where can one find one of these "new/old JA" radios as all the links, like the one posted for DTB's site when clicked on brings up a page with no item. Or is this just an old thread that has been revived?? Thanks for any and all replies. God bless and Happy Father's Day!!

Thanks Sonoma, I think I will stick to looking for and OG jackson. I know there are still some out there, just have to look around. I check all the cities I travel to for work. I am always on the hunt for great old radios like the Jackson. I said it earlier, I kick myself in the ass for selling the ones I had. At one time it was 3 total, 2 silver face and 1 black face. And with the swing mod done correctly, that radio rocked on both AM and SSB. A guy one night on AM long ago about got into with me because he thought I was lying when I told him how far I was from him and in a mobile. It was over 30 miles away and I was still giving him a good signal lol. He swore I was on a base nearby!! But anyway thanks for the info and Happy Father's Day! God bless and 73's. 222DBFL.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.