• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My old friend President Jackson.

I can't see pics very well on my phone, but is it just cutting a red wire?

You like it?

yup, just cut or remove the red jumper wire. not really any locals here, so i wont get to test it out till maybe tomorrow. the stock mic seems real cheap, i was listening to it on another radio here, i plugged in my original rk56 mic and it sounded much better. got it all mounted in the suv.

Interesting...

At least you saved 30 bills.

ya, no kidding,,lol..

i tried the clarifier as i listened with another radio,, the course is open, fine is locked

a quick check on the meter and it had 10w dead key on am and swing to just over 20w (i lowered the dead key and got it to swing to 25w)

and ssb is at 30w

both could be turned up more but this is where i left them

Reactions: 2 people
I wonder if it actually is a mosfet? I also wonder why the ceramic insulator is off to the side like that:eek: I am sure it isn't apposed to be that way.

Something in the way maybe?

yup, just cut or remove the red jumper wire. not really any locals here, so i wont get to test it out till maybe tomorrow. the stock mic seems real cheap, i was listening to it on another radio here, i plugged in my original rk56 mic and it sounded much better. got it all mounted in the suv.

Does the receive in SSB mode distort if you are listening to a nearby station?

Does the receive in SSB mode distort if you are listening to a nearby station?

dont know, i was just listening with another radio here with no antenna on it as i talked on the superstar ja

just ran to the gas station,, it is a quiet radio!! 980ssb had some alt whine on am, this has none, and wow is it quiet even with the rf gain all the way up, i reached over and turned the volume up a couple times to make sure it was workin,,lol

Sounds good so far.

Does the coarse clarifier have the center detent like Robb mentioned? Other than the mic, does the fit and finish seem decent. Also, are the common adjustment points clearly labeled?

Well, that's all I can think of so far, lol.

Sounds good so far.

Does the coarse clarifier have the center detent like Robb mentioned? Other than the mic, does the fit and finish seem decent. Also, are the common adjustment points clearly labeled?

Well, that's all I can think of so far, lol.

ya the course clarifier does have the detent, and when in the center slot seems to be on freq with the other radio i was listening with,, all common adjustments are labled... the rf gain/mic gain adjustments are a little tight, move one and the other knob likes to move with it.

i wasnt expecting too much for $149, but i said that about the 980ssb for $139 and that turned out to be a great little radio. we will see tomorrow if i can get some dx reports with it

9081d1360024710-my-old-friend-president-jackson-dsc00822-small.jpg

Looking at Camaro1's photo above; this isn't a dual final radio. I can see just one driver and final clearly enough in the picture. Wow; this radio really is authentic! I thought they would take the cheaper route and put in a couple of IRF-520N's in there instead of the MRF477. Cannot figure out why Wayne at 'The CB Store' said he was sure it had the IRF's in there.

Oh well; my radio should be here tomorrow or the next day.

So the only other question that remains is: 'did they ('RCI') modify the AGC circuit or leave it original as well'?
If not; then that circuit will need to be modified.

Bob85 said:
remove C31 (.47uf )

change R43 (10K) to 1k

change R41 (150K) to 270K

change R47 (1.5K) to 3.9k

for some strange reason the maker got the agc timing wrong from the outset and never bothered to rectify the situation throughout the production life of the jacko,
the above mod from lou franklins book fixes it nicely, i have done plenty for locals over the years, without the mod they are useless for talking to very strong ssb stations locally or in good dx conditions,

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Been looking for a replacement for my old Superstar 3900. This radio doesn't look like a bad candidate to do that. I'll wait until the reviews are in though.

How hard would it be to add my old PDC-256 frequency counter to it? Where would the test point be?

I noticed in the video that the word China is covered over with a sticker that says Malaysia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
got on the radio for about 30 min today on my lunch break,, made several contacts all said it sounded good. and seems to be on freq with the course clarifier in the center detent.

going to have to look inside again, removing the red jumper wire gives you normal cb on band D,, but when playin around today i tried the upper channels, band E,F, heard lots of cw on both bands and when switching between E-F the same cw is heard. so for sure bands E-F are not correct yet,,has to be another jumper or solder trace that needs to be removed to open up band E and F correctly

if you look at my pic in post 87 it looks like the red jumper on the right side also has 2 traces connected together with solder, im thinking this solder bridge needs to be removed for band E-F??

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.