• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My old friend President Jackson.

I got mine in today, i really like it so far.Is every body else's made in Malaysia?I thought i read earlier in the thread these were made in china?Its a good thing though i would rather buy a radio made in malaysia.All i have done to mine so far is pull the covers of and cut the red jumper.Buy the time i got it this evening the skip on 38 lsb had faded off so i havent gotten a chance to talk on side band with it.I talked to locals on am with it and they said it sounded good.Mine does seem to dim some but iv just been running it on the cigarette lighter. I need to run a heavier guage power cords strait to the battery.Last question with my engine turned off it dims even more and seems to make some noise on transmit,only with my engine off.It works fine and harldy dims at all with my engine running,is it possibl for the radio to make a slight humming almost a beep type squeal if its not getting enough power.it only does it a little bit with my engin off i mentioned it to the locals,and when i did they said they could here it also. When it does get enough power it does not make any noise.I think i just need to run it strait to the battery

Glad you like it. It does sound like it's starved for power. Should be fine once it's powered correctly.

Did you remove the solder bridge in addition to clipping the red wire?

No i have not removed the solder bridge yet but plan to soon.I just got in the mail this evening,i had planned on mapping the radio out before and after the conversion.But then i got impatient and just wanted to try it, out so i just cut the red wire and now band d is the standard 40.Btw my radio seems to be pretty close to on frequency from the factory,with the course clairifier in the center detent its at 27.38520 on channel 38

No i have not removed the solder bridge yet but plan to soon.I just got in the mail this evening,i had planned on mapping the radio out before and after the conversion.But then i got impatient and just wanted to try it, out so i just cut the red wire and now band d is the standard 40.Btw my radio seems to be pretty close to on frequency from the factory,with the coarse clairifier in the center detent its at 27.38520 on channel 38

27.38520 is really 27.385200. That means it is off by +/-200hz. On SSB, that can sound waaay off. On AM, you wouldn't even notice it. My radio was off by almost 300hz and made it very hard to understand on SSB. 10-20hz off is more like it and not beyond the ability of any tech to do with decent gear. Of course, the ambient air temp will affect this +/-. Keep in mind that the center detent won't allow you to move less than 150 on the coarse clarifier before it snaps back in the middle - because of the detent.

Last edited:
No i have not removed the solder bridge yet but plan to soon.I just got in the mail this evening,i had planned on mapping the radio out before and after the conversion.But then i got impatient and just wanted to try it, out so i just cut the red wire and now band d is the standard 40.Btw my radio seems to be pretty close to on frequency from the factory,with the course clairifier in the center detent its at 27.38520 on channel 38

Any chance you can map the other bands before you remove the bridge? I was going to, but my counter is not working.

Robb,

Which pots adjust USB and LSB frequency?

Is the alignment the same as for the President Jackson listed on CB Tricks?

Thanks

Yupp . . .
Just be sure to remove the bias board before you do the adjustment with VR6. Otherwise, you will chase your own tail and not get the right freq in TX mode. It must match the RX freq; or otherwise your TX freq will be different from your RX freq.

On another subject . . .
I have no idea if the following clarifier mod is right; as the wire colors are probably different in the new Jacko (maybe/maybe not - ???).
If anyone has done this mod to this radio - please help us out here . . . :)

President Jackson Unlocked Clarifier Mod.

Surprisingly there are still Jacksons in use with the fine clarifier unmodified. From the factory the fine clarifier only changes the receive frequency while the coarse control changes both transmit and receive. With this scheme it's almost impossible to find center slot. The solution is to unlock the transmitter so the fine changes both transmit and receive.

The following is a simple, effective way to unlock and increase the range of the clarifier:
Completely remove D58.
Follow the Brown wire from the Fine Clarifier Control and remove it from the Switch PC Board and connect it to constant +8 volts.
Follow the Blue wire from the Coarse Clarifier Control and remove it from the Switch PC Board and connect it to ground.
Realign on frequency with both controls in 12 O'clock position.
With a frequency counter connected to TP3 (R73) adjust the following:
L14 Controls AM/FM = 15.5100 MHz
L15 Controls USB = 15.5125 MHz
L16 Controls LSB = 15.5075 MHz

Those freq's cannot be right - for one - either . . .

CB World Informer December 1996 Issue, Midland 79-290 Review.

Last edited:
what about this one for the clarifier mod, its listed for the jackson and looks like it would work for almost any radio that has the course unlocked and the fine locked:

Attachments

• secret_cb_vol_20_pg29.pdf
    552.9 KB · Views: 43
I think less technical buyers should think of buying one from DTB. At a minimum, it will be expanded and aligned. We'll have to see what his fee would be to do the AGC mod in addition.

I'm sorry to be the wet blanket, dark cloud, whatever. But after reading this thread. I'm starting to think that the less technical buyer should avoid this radio entirely. If the radio comes out of the box off frequency and needing the receive fixed. That kind of cancels out its low price and makes it not the best choice for those wanting to buy a working radio..

Last edited:
I'm sorry to be the wet blanket, dark cloud, whatever. But after reading this thread. I'm starting to think that the less technical buyer should avoid this radio entirely. If the radio comes out of the box off frequency and needing the receive fixed. That kind of cancels out its low price and makes it not the best choice for those wanting to buy a working radio..

If your familiar with DTB, he expands and aligns your radio. His price, which includes expansion and alignment is the same as other vendors are charging without the channel mod. As I said, we'll need to see what his additional price for doing the AGC mod will be.

The AGC mod is simple and the cost of parts is pennies. I doubt it would break the bank whatever he charges. Maybe he is already including it in his price.

Just about every export needs an alignment and expansion by an
experienced tech. You still have to pay for it.

So, DTB still sounds like the cheapest route. At least it'll actually have the work done, instead of a phantom tune by Copper or elsewhere.

Does this radio have the board EPT00JA-10Z?
I have the Uniden/President Export service manual with this board listed with the original PB042.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.