• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My old friend President Jackson.

The fact that it has become far more stable can only mean that it is far more reliable than it was before the mod. How this translates to a cold mobile environment is not in my corner to determine. Not a gambling man; but my money is on it being more stable in a cold environment simply because what i consider a very serious deficit in the radio had been changed for the better.

Camaro1 said he would mod his radio and give it the test. We will have to hear from him and wait. Don't expect anything miraculous; just better than before.

Doubt there too many of these radios even being available from those that retailed them at this point in time . . .

I hear there is more coming soon

I saw the grounding mod in a video, my old jackson drifts as it warms up in the freezing temps. I may try this mod too. The vid I saw had all the cans connected, even the ones by the channel section, and to the chassis.

I saw the grounding mod in a video, my old jackson drifts as it warms up in the freezing temps. I may try this mod too. The vid I saw had all the cans connected, even the ones by the channel section, and to the chassis.

Should NOT be hooked to the chassis UNLESS it is usually hooked up through a .047uf ceramic isolation cap. Chassis ground and signal ground are two electrically separated entities. Hooking up those coils to that crystal as shown on the left side of the photo below is enough to do the job correctly.

9179d1360616785t-my-old-friend-president-jackson-pict0121-001.jpg

Last edited:
i did the ground ground mod, ill see if it helps any tomorrow. anything that can be done about the receive/transmit freq offset?

i did the ground ground mod, ill see if it helps any tomorrow. anything that can be done about the receive/transmit freq offset?

Did you re-align the coil freqs and center the Fine Clarifier?

This radio was only off by a measly ~30hz TX/RX by doing the clarifier mod; so I don't think it is a problem.
YMMV.

Last edited:
I hear there is more coming soon

That is what I hear as well, and retailers are snatching them up.
Rumor is that there were a lot of NOS boards stored somewhere.
Wish Dave would come over and spill the beans ..... but I think he is too busy selling SS JA`s.
Another rumor is that a popular on-retailer has 500+ on order.
In time I am sure the whole story will surface.

Jeff

That is what I hear as well, and retailers are snatching them up.
Rumor is that there were a lot of NOS boards stored somewhere.
Wish Dave would come over and spill the beans ..... but I think he is too busy selling SS JA`s.
Another rumor is that a popular on-retailer has 500+ on order.
In time I am sure the whole story will surface.

Jeff

Talked to Chip at Radio Shop Supply/Ranger about this today. He said it is coming from a private source but he had no word from Ranger/RCI HQ about it. Said that the radio still carries a two year warranty.

Last edited:
ya, i got it good now, dont know what happened before, wow is it quiet here, i put the radio back in the suv again,lol,, and talked from the car to a guy 30+ miles from me that i talk to all the time from the base, never tried from the car.

Robb...... 40 for sideband is Ok with me. My Hr2510 with MRF477 and Lincoln with MRF455 will only do that and they are turned down to about 30W and talk all over the place.

I just picked up a mint Uni Washington/Silver Eagle and a Grant! Now I can do side by side comparisons between my 2000/Wash and Grant/Jackson!

Good to see you on the Board Dave, have you looked to see if the wrong thread screws are being used in the case holes?
Also would like to ask if you agree that these are NOS boards that are being re-vamped for the current market.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.