• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Nasty static showing up all over town...anyone else?

I have found massive amounts of static ever since I converted the garage lighting to LED. Mess's with CB and stereo when the garage lights are on, maybe inherent of LED or might be just the china garbage we are forced to endure. I don't know which it is but it is bad.

Reactions: 357 and Rwb
Yep thats power line noise all right. Being out here in the Mojave Desert with high winds and land scattering sand and dust all the time, the lines and insulators get dirty and arc causing RFI all over the bands. Its all over the place and many times have to drive some what out of town to find a quiet place. I have called the power company many times and complained, and I even tell them what pole its coming from.

The latest noise is a pole about 150 feet from me, while listening to the noise in my 1977 luxury truck I slam the pole with a sledge hammer and the noise quits for a moment. I don't share that with the power company.

They have fixed about 5 noisy RFI problems in the local area. They showed up for the pole just across the street once, I came out and talked to them, There attitude was "go away son you bother me" but they fixed it so I cant complain I guess.

I bought a new Icom 7300 about 6 months ago, and it has a impressive noise cancelling functions Noise Blanker and ANL that works quit well. Looking into a some ferrites for the coax.....

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Had 7/9db and up static here in Central Texas starting in March, log book blank except for couple days where it cleared, no difference with base or mobil, conditions have gone from dry to wet with no change

Dead quiet in FN20, southeastern PA between Allentown and Reading. I do have the occasional burst of static from loose connections at the pole, or dirty insulators. Usually during high winds.

Reactions: 357
Hearing static noise also when the power line noise quits. Think its coming in as skip and stays pretty much in the radio for a few hours.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Reactions: 357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated