• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need to hide antennas

kc2prb

Mar 25, 2014
Ithaca NY
Hello all.. I live in NY and rent a house. I am lucky that my landlord let me put up a 6 meter beam and a Gr5v Jr. antenna. I will be moving to NC soon and unfortunately the landlord there does not want antennas. I will be moving into a ranch style house. Any suggestions on what I can use for antennas that I can hide. I am mainly on 2, 6, and 10 meter. Thanks.. John KC2PRB

not what you may want to hear, but,...........

there are a lot of OTHER rentals on the market.

heck, with the housing market as depressed as it is, consider BUYING instead.

Reactions: 3 people
You might consider putting antennas in the attic. 2 and 6 meter antennas shouldn't be much problem, the 10 meter antenna might be. Depends on what space you have.
- 'Doc

Attic is the best solution and a dipole or end fed can be "folded". How well it works will depend on how much metal such as ductwork is in the attic. Also, no go if it has a radiant barrier.

Another solution could be a vertical in the yard, fold down when not in use.

I used attic antennas the first two years I was married. We had the upstairs and attic of an old Victorian home modified into apartments. I had a three element 10m wire beam, a dipole for 15m and another for 20m and a two element quad complete with rotator for 2m. Those old Victorian homes were HUGE.

Reactions: 3 people
landlord patriotic? I just this morning finished tuning a 10M flagpole, works fairly well as a vertical. it's an imax that has been slid inside fiberglass poles and mounted to the corner of the house.

Reactions: 1 person
any trees,, the homemade wire gainmaster would work great for 10m,, I made a couple of them already. you need a tall tree as the antenna(wire) is 24' long

If you're like me, you've got a great attic... that is full of air conditioning/heating ducts, and aluminum tape everwhere. Not to mention the wires hanging all of it. Maybe a southern thang, I don't know.

A local runs one of these and really likes it:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10030

I am building my own soon, and hope to have good results as well.

If you're just on 10,6, and 2, it seems that you could hide dipoles pretty easily, too. 2 meters could use a slim jim or j pole. I've also seen some "roof vent" style antennas that are supposed to work ok for 2/440.

And then there's always the flagpole!

Brett

BCREWCAPTAIN CAN U EXSPLAIN.

How did you do that? Can u exsplain how and what u did with that Imax? I'm picturing an antenna slid into a fiberglass tube. Will that work without excessively high swr. Sounds interesting as a camouflage goes. Please exsplain. I would love to install an Imax on my front lawn. Flag poles allowed, antennas not. Thanks

You said the landlord doesn't want any antennas. It's his house, not yours. Therefore, you should abide by his wishes. I don't know why a ham would rent a house where the landlord didn't want antennas. I'd have found a different place.
If he's told you no antennas then to put up anything in HIS attic or in HIS yard doesn't seem like it's on the up and up.
If what you meant was he doesn't want to see any antennas, well, that's different. I've had great success with a 10 meter dipole in the attic. A 2 meter vertical should fit up there as well.

How did you do that? Can u exsplain how and what u did with that Imax? I'm picturing an antenna slid into a fiberglass tube. Will that work without excessively high swr. Sounds interesting as a camouflage goes. Please exsplain. I would love to install an Imax on my front lawn. Flag poles allowed, antennas not. Thanks

I will see if I can't get him to send some pictures over the weekend.
Basically it's 3 10" fiberglass sections(I'm fairly certain he picked them up at a hamfest). We trimmed the last one to just a tad longer than the IMAX. We cut the bracket and the low cladding off the imax and it allowed it to slide right inside the tubes at that point. There is a fairly substantial base, but he will more than likely also be using that for the centerpoint of a dipole, so he built in extra strength. Painted with some silver non-metallic paint, and from 5ft away, you'd never be able to tell it's not a prefabbed flagpole.

Thank you for all the responses. Couple things. There is one tree and I may be able to hide something there.. Also with no disrespect. It is not easy to just go and find somewhere different to live. If I had unlimited funding then yes that would be an option. The person wanting to rent the house only wants enough rent to cover her mortgage. 600 a month for a 5 year old house is something that I cannot pass on. But thanks for the suggestion. :)
Thanks
John

Talked to zl1pwr the other day he had been working several US stations on his attic dipole and ts-520s He has a single story house 18' high at the apex of the roof.If there is a will there is a way.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated