• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Negative Peak Compression boards for Cobra 29

I have to agree with you guys. It’s whatever sells radios. To most it’s good sounding audio. You have your talk on three channels at once guys. We have the do it yourself guys that have everything perfect on the scope. There are the guys who made their own mods to sell. There are guys that replace the new components in out of the box radios. There are guys with their perfectly tuned bench. In the future we may see radios that were tuned with tools blessed by Voodoo Witch Doctors. A radio tuned in a dressing room of a strip club so it will always smell like vanilla perfume and Coors Light. And then CBs upgraded with parts from the Roswell New Mexico UFO crash. It’s a big market. People prefer what makes them feel good. A good sounding radio does just that.

Last edited:
At 3:28
upload_2021-5-24_22-34-5.png
Stock...
At 5:10
upload_2021-5-24_22-35-6.png
Still Stock
At 17:02...
upload_2021-5-24_22-36-38.png
Now installed...
At 17:37...
upload_2021-5-24_22-39-9.png
Keyed up with Carrier ON LOWEST SETTING (ON Board pot)
At 18:11...
upload_2021-5-24_22-40-42.png
Still on LOW POWER Setting...
at 19:53...
upload_2021-5-24_22-42-55.png
There's something we need to talk about...
The above is LAG from Limiter and Mic (AMC loop)
upload_2021-5-24_22-45-23.png
More Detail...
upload_2021-5-24_22-46-48.png
No - PEP is LOWER!
@AudioShockwav - you're right!

There are several conditions happening here.

When you "turn down the carrier" - remember where the LIMITER is located - up stream from JP36, what you, the viewer are seeing, is the Limiter AMC doing its' job in the loop affecting HOW PEP will even rise, not by much, the radio is thinking it's full tilt back to the Driver and Final - this is not ALC working, it doesn't have such a feature - AMC is working before it gets to this board, nor how AMC would even care...

The Audio distortion and clipping is from the processing AFTER the Clipper diode.

You lose PEP when you run a lower carrier - the LIMITER is set for Full power, the Audio amp is only amplifying what it sees at the Mic. To work, the LIMITER needs to be modified to allow the swing and Peak to even work...AHEMN - remember we put a CAP on the Leads of JP36...

We're forgetting some key pointers...
upload_2021-5-24_22-56-34.png
The above, compare it, is nearly an Exact duplicate of the board, except the "compressor".
But CB Tricks did this up for their own site in early 2000's
Remember the board is now BONDING the Foil and Chassis (Case) grounds together.

IF you own any Sole-Battery powered vehicle Read Non Hybrid or Gas powered - in the near future - better check the Owners manual...the next key up could kill you...

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-24_22-52-22.png
    upload_2021-5-24_22-52-22.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 19
Has anyone ever done a shootout, or remember one being done with equal antenna setups? Let’s say 5 foot Firestik. Similar year Cobra 29s. One Cobra 29 4 watts dead key set to 4:1 modulation. And the second everything set to max, swing kit, blessed by the shining golden screwdriver. Say receiving station at 5 miles and let them go to see who can do it better. I can recall the antenna tests on Coppers Forum about the old oil can antennas and open coils.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Hooked mine up in a new 29, will post pictures soon. The stock limiter is definitely needed, and we kinda knew that. I am using the dead key adjustment on the board with a jumper instead of an external pot. The highest dead key I can get is 2 watts. I have another new 29 with no other mods that has the Nomad board that I use for testing amps. I will compare the two to see if this new board really has an NPC like feature.

More to come.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.