• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Negative Peak Compression boards for Cobra 29

I saw these too but they quickly sold out. This much be the next batch. Because they replace jp36, they are in series with the modulation and I don't know if NPC can really be done this way. I wonder how well it can recover the carrier between peaks? The picture they show is described as NPC like. The little board looks like it has two transistors and some inductors and capacitors on It? I am going to get some to try too.

Last edited:
spchclip.gif

AA-FIG1.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
The only information we can glean from the pictures used to show - Q2 must me underneath - as shown in the photo the site supplies to promote the product. At least they are honest, one of the mounting holes show a standoff - but the Dimmer Pass Transistor that comes with the radio - is buried (covered) underneath - at an offset to a different location but covered by this board - so to me this signals that there are more SMD work underneath

The board itself looks to be incomplete install - on purpose, for if they were to install the Variable, those 3 terminal holes below the trimmer pot, it appears that they would then take place of that trimmer, which I can only presume is the actual carrier level setting - so it tells me there's more support (jumper header for example) to add on this board for external variable control.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
here what it states on site=
Cobra 29 Variable Power Control Negative Peak Compression

This listing is for 2 boards.

Simple SMD (Surface Mount Device) board, boosts peak and average power compared to old super modulator kits.

Adjustable board mounted variable resistor allows Dead key adjustment.

Prevents/Reduces Over modulation negative peaks. Old school Super Modulator kits would allow Negative Peaks to drop to ZERO watts output. This causes a loss of average power, and higher distortion levels of your transmitting modulation.

NO electrolytic capacitor that could result in power loss because of ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance). This is how other variable power kits can cause you to loose peak power once installed.

Uses Power Metal Oxide Technology to give the highest possible peak power output.

Bonus: Instructions on how to use variable control in front of radio, for adjustable dead key. It's designed into the SMD board!

Simple three wire hook up.

Drill a mounting hole, hook up three wires, and it works.

This may be a less expensive modification that has similarities to asymmetrical modulation. You may even consider it negative peak compression.

Although this board may adapt to multiple AM model CB radios, instructions only included for Cobra 29 CB radios.

Comes with Mounting screws and brass stand off.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.