• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Negative Peak Compression boards for Cobra 29

While you have that thing on your bench, measure the DC component of the JP36.

Then SOLDER a cap across the JP36 where it goes into the Cobra, then do this again.
  • That cap is the missing component of any Swing Mod using the Variable carrier.
  • See post # 80 - (Oh man! this threads gotten long...)
  • - remember the Diode may be a Zener - causing a condition of "quick and fast hold" clamp action - it would explain the ramp you have at the end of the signal. The effect is amplified because the AMC it's self has a Peak and Hold - so you see that trailing slope like those shown on the other shots from the YT bench vids.

Last edited:
While you have that thing on your bench, measure the DC component of the JP36.

Then SOLDER a cap across the JP36 where it goes into the Cobra, then do this again.
  • That cap is the missing component of any Swing Mod using the Variable carrier.
  • See post # 80 - (Oh man! this threads gotten long...)
  • - remember the Diode may be a Zener - causing a condition of "quick and fast hold" clamp action - it would explain the ramp you have at the end of the signal. The effect is amplified because the AMC it's self has a Peak and Hold - so you see that trailing slope like those shown on the other shots from the YT bench vids.
I just installed a 100 micro farad capacitor across the JP36 wires. It doesn't seem to have made any difference. It still has the funny flat bottom DC levels.

Forgot all about this diode mod until it popped up in another thread. Has anyone tried it?

I've had fixed a lot of bad caps on radios that use this mod

I've had to take and fix regulator issues due to the problems it can cause.

The thing multiplies voltage - careful on this because people tend to "volt up" radios - which adds to this effect.

Can damage VCO/PLL due to spikes the thing can make.

This Diode mod Reminds me of the "fine print" in those "contracts" during a Job interview...
"This list is incomplete and will be supplemented as necessary"

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.