• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Negative Peak Compression boards for Cobra 29

nomadradio this might help about the ground i sent him a message about when he was getting more and about the ground here is his replied=
New message from: radiojoe757 (1,401)
Chassis mount ground is because the board is mounted to the chassis. In the old Cobra 29's the chassis was floating, to protect against positive ground vehicles. I don't think they have made any positive ground vehicles in 80 years so this is no longer an issue. I believe Cobra has stopped making floating ground radios, so mounting this board to the chassis of the radio would cause no problem. But if you have an older radio, you will need to add a ground wire, to DC ground the board.

I found two more sets of boards and will be listing them shortly. Ordered more parts, and boards assembled, but that may take many weeks to come together.

Doesn't appear to need a connection to the radio's circuit ground. The pad marked "ground" goes to the chassis, not to the circuit board's ground. Every trick I know to do this needs that connection.

Got me baffled. Gotta buy one next time they come up.

Ugh...this is not good...

I believe Cobra has stopped making floating ground radios, so mounting this board to the chassis of the radio would cause no problem. But if you have an older radio, you will need to add a ground wire, to DC ground the board.

You want better advice?

Try that heat sink panel - the one the Final and Driver mount to - that is at the same potential as Negative FOIL BOARD Ground - drill and mount...

(...I can't believe this...)

(it's the 80 years part that; "No, you don't know Datsun and Subaru very well..." - It's why Datsun went bust and got gobbled up by Mitsubishi and Nissan to name a couple...)

Reactions: secret squirrel
ok so how is this voltage regulator suppose to make my modulation better compare to the old school tip-120 and a 100pf cap ??

why andy why wait today it's a good day for it, here is my idiotic 2cents i just don't see it jp36 is just a voltage path to the final how in earth 2 or 3 ic chips resister suppose to clean up mu audiooooooooo LOL

You're just sending (throwing) your money (pocket cash - burn money) to someone else...

I have some thoughts on this but it will have to await another day...

The traditional jp36 mod puts a capacitor and resistor combo in place of jp36 in order to create more "swing" for the watt meter in an effort to make a cb amp more linear in operation and is effective in waking up a sleepy amplifier.

The resistor value in the combo sets the dead key. If a variable dead key is needed, then the addition of a transistor controlled by a pot on the front of the radio is the reliable way to do it.

This new board does all this plus NPC or negative peak control. Compression of the negative peaks in the modulation envelope, allows the positive peaks to exceed %100 without clipping the negative peaks. Keeping the negative peaks from exceeding %100 and flat lining will keep it from sounding like a scratchy over modulated dump truck radio. This technique is also used to improve cb amp use. But this board description claims a type of pseudo NPC, we won't know what that actually means or how effective it will be until someone here can get one and report back.

This is the way I understand these three modifications and I will be doing a side by side test of them soon.

nomadradio this might help about the ground i sent him a message about when he was getting more and about the ground here is his replied=
New message from: radiojoe757 (1,401)
Chassis mount ground is because the board is mounted to the chassis. In the old Cobra 29's the chassis was floating, to protect against positive ground vehicles. I don't think they have made any positive ground vehicles in 80 years so this is no longer an issue. I believe Cobra has stopped making floating ground radios, so mounting this board to the chassis of the radio would cause no problem. But if you have an older radio, you will need to add a ground wire, to DC ground the board.

I found two more sets of boards and will be listing them shortly. Ordered more parts, and boards assembled, but that may take many weeks to come together.
This guy clearly does not know his automotive history! Europeans were big on positive ground. The only reason the USA and our negative ground won out was because we were a bigger market for European brands than Europe was! LOL In the 1980's and 1990's I was still working on the occasional old + ground vehicle. My grandfather who has been dead for a long time actual drove commercial vechiles that sometimes had positive ground systems.

In fact it is just like various fasteners that did not follow " Righty Tighty-Lefty Loosey" was not isolated to British products and bicycles Chrysler did that with their lug nuts for a while in an attempt to generate sales for parts at dealerships to keep people from buying cheap and widely available leg nuts some place else!

In fact in the 1980's and 1990's you could still buy after market audio radios, cassettes and CD players that would work with positive ground systems and audio amps.

Reactions: Handy Andy
Very interesting. I would love to try this little board in my Uniden 78XXX. I can never recall the letters that follow it only that it is almost identical to a CObra 29 and mine was not made in China it was one of the last ones not made in China! LOL It is NOS and it would be perfect for this!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.