• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Antenna Bill HR 1301

milkman21218

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Aug 12, 2006
Central, Maryland
Here we go again! But this time we have Both Party's wanting to pass HR-1301. This allow everyone to put up antennas no matter where you live! So we all need to contact our Representatives even if you don't have a problem do it for other radio operators.
I would like for every member here to read this information. Then contact your Congressman and ask them to vote for bill HR-1301 even if you do not live in a CCR or HOA or any place that does not allow antennas. Because this will still help your Brothers and Sisters that do! It is for the Hobby of Radio. Also for the good of the Country since Hams do provide so many valuable services to all of the Citizens of the Nation. And "PLEASE" ask everyone that you know to do the same. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO BE A HAM! Do Both write and Call!

Just added a copy of Bill
HR-1301
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Legislative Update Newsletters/Issue 8.pdf

Last edited:

How would you feel if you lived in a restricted housing subdivision with small lots and someone put up a 140 ft tower right next to you? People live in housing subdivisions for security and rules that make the area pleasing.
People who decide to live in subdivisions and then complain about not being permitted to put up towers are fargin iceholes because they knew the rules.
I would never live in a deed restricted area because I don't care for restrictions.
I hope that action crashes and burns unless it is amended to not include deed restricted subdivisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eastside
I think your missing the big picture. Its not about shoving a 140 ft tower in your neighbors face and that's not what this bill will do. It's about allowing hams to maintain workable antennas systems in restricted private communities and maintaining a communications infrastructure in the US. Cell phones, computers and most other comms will be useless if power is knocked out in a catastrophic event. I think with world events unfolding as they are it's a damn good ides to have amateur radio options all over this country.

As for the fellow wanting to stick the giant tower up his neighbors hiney...he'll still have to negotiate a reasonable accommodation with the entity restricting his ability to put up an antenna. It's not as simple as waiving the bill under someones nose while the crane hoists up the tower.

Last edited:
Reactions: 543_Dallas
Wow, going straight for something that will likely not be a problem as a reason against it... Go figure... Apparently to you every ham that lives in an HOA type community will be in a community that has tiny lots, and they will obviously put up a huge tower, and not even consider other, more reasonable, options.

I don't see people wanting to necessarily put up a massive tower, even a wire antenna is against most HOA type organisation rules. Also, I don't think it would prevent an HOA organisations from ensuring it was installed safely and properly.

There are plenty of neighborhoods with HOA's around here that you could easily put up a 100 plus foot tower and if it did fall over it wouldn't touch a neighbors property.

The reality is very few ham's will put up a tower that is over 50 foot tall to begin with, and further, they follow other common sense rules as well.

To say that one possible, and very rare at most, occurrence, should limit everyone else in an HOA situation is just asinine.

The DB

The point is.......if you want to live in a deed restricted project, read the rules.
There are a couple of locals who got a big settlement in a slip and fall case, they bought a $200,000 home in a project with tough rules.
They still put up a tower and now they have a lien against their property.
For $200,000 they could have bought a decent house on 10 acres around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eastside
There are plenty of neighborhoods with HOA's around here that you could easily put up a 100 plus foot tower and if it did fall over it wouldn't touch a neighbors property.

while that's true, there are HOA's around here where you can put up no external antennas what-so-ever.

HOA,, screw them.

If a licensed amateur wants to put up a tower within reasonable height, ( usually it can not leave his property if it falls over) then so be it, the smaller the lot the smaller the height of the tower.

There has been and will be a need for emergency comms. The amateur community has proven time and time again it is ready to assist as needed in times of emergencies.

The more towers installed the more stations to assist in E comms.

Don't leave the rest of the non licensed out. It sucks but I understand why they do it. The HOA's that is. But on the other hand, not being able to put an antenna up period is not the answer either even if it's for fun. I do beleive an agreement of what can be placed wouldn't be a bad idea as there are some small lots here and a large tower is just going to cause a lot of shall we say "hatred", maybe toward another neighbor. But in the end, I hope it passes. At least let the hobby have a chance!

Last edited:
Reactions: milkman21218
.... Its not about shoving a 140 ft tower in your neighbors face and that's not what this bill will do...the fellow wanting to stick the giant tower up his neighbors hiney...he'll still have to negotiate a reasonable accommodation....

"...directs the Federal Communications Commission to extend to private land use restrictions its PRB-1 rule relating to reasonable accommodation of Amateur Service communications......it requires HOAs and other private land use regulators to extend reasonable accommodation to Amateurs.....

thats the problem with this bill, it NEVER defines the word "reasonable".

.... and I have a tower that is 182 feet (plus the actual antenna), seems pretty "reasonable" to me , but I own 25 acres

I suppose the word "reasonable" suggests that people can be reasoned with. Not much of that happening anymore without help from courts and attorneys. I agree that on your property the big tower would be reasonable but in a smaller neighborhoods where lots are more like .25 acres...not so much.

Reactions: 222DBFL
reminds me of that x-files episode......anyone who broke the crr a big monster would come and kill them...ha ha

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated