• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

Im sorry but i forgot to add that two of the guys had sirio antennas and when they switched over to the 10k i was able to see atleast 1 s unit of signal increase.Please keep in mind i was using a yeasu 101e and a antron 99 at the time.As im sure you know a real ham radio not an export requires 6db per 1 s unit.A cb is also different. And the guy was maybe 40 miles away by air.Power levels did not change nor did antenna height from each test acording to him.So let me ask you this i have read that the 10k is better for local talking but the sirio is better for dx.Dont you only use a omni for local talking/rag chewing and for dx a beam atleast on cb.So wouldnt you want the hottest antenna for local talking.Also one last thing doesnt the sirio because it is a higher wavelengh create more interference.Have you tested these antennas side by side.What are your thoughts on this.

That may be the case with some of the longer aluminum antennas. I've always thought it was unacceptable to use two screws to hold each section of aluminum tubing together. I found spending a few minutes with the hack saw or Dremel to slice the top of each section for use with a hose clamp and one screw makes a big difference. Some of the thinner tubing towards the top could be heavier too. To be fair, I have to say the Gain Master does not suffer any of these mechanical weakness problems. It has taken winds that have destroyed two other antennas that were on the same mast before. It also holds its own as a top performing vertical omni.

While the Vector is equal to the gain of the Gain Master, no other omni on the market is going to provide more gain then either of these two antennas where you want it. Including all 5/8 wave groundplanes. This is not based on opinion or some S-meter radio check taken at different times. It's done with a calibrated field strength receiver that gives a digital signal reading down to the microvolt level and compared with accurate attenuators against a reference 1/2 wave vertical dipole. Antennas under test are swapped out within 1 minuet of the previous test on one mast that is 1 wavelength above ground. This gives the ability to measure differences within a fraction of a db and removes any variables I'm aware of.

so you performed this test with a sirio and the I-10k

so you performed this test with a sirio and the I-10k

I have owned and tested all of the antennas mentioned on several bands. The one exception is I have not owned the I-10K and used my old Hy-Gain Super Penetrator for that comparison. Since both models are known to produce the peak 1.2 to 1.25 db gain over a dipole that this design can, they are equal in performance although the I-10K is superior in it's mechanical construction.

With respect to the FT-101 calibrated to 6 db per S-unit, be aware there are no two omni directional CB base antennas that have a 6 db difference between them. That would be a power gain of 4 times. If you want the best line of sight range with the least interference from your FT-101, buy the Gain Master and don't think twice about it. It is specifically designed to reduce RFI to the absolute minimum while producing more gain then any groundplane.

The beam would beat it in DX but then again a beam would do the same thing locally if it were in the right polarization. Keep in mind horizontal antennas benefit from increased gain due to ground reflections. Even a cheap dipole made from wire can easily outperform any of the vertical sticks in DX if the dipole is in the correct physical orientation.

What type of impedance match does the hy-gain super penetrator have at the feed point. Thank you for your response.

I was told that with a sirio antenna and some others that the swr will change as you raise it above the ground.Is there any way to get around this.If one were to have just a stock radio i dont think a 1.5 or so swr would be a big deal but if the person had more then a stock radio wouldnt the coax start to radiate.Im weighing all my options i still dont know what type of antenna i would like to buy.Thank you shockwave you have been very helpful.;)

I was told that with a sirio antenna and some others that the swr will change as you raise it above the ground.Is there any way to get around this.If one were to have just a stock radio i dont think a 1.5 or so swr would be a big deal but if the person had more then a stock radio wouldnt the coax start to radiate.Im weighing all my options i still dont know what type of antenna i would like to buy.Thank you shockwave you have been very helpful.;)

Right now my Sirio Gain Master is about 24 feet in the air (to the feed point) and I have a 1.1 to 1 match (the needle just barely moves) with 110 ft of LMR400. I intend on putting it on my roof and then the feed point will be about 50 feet off the ground. I have never hear that the swr will raise on a Gain Master when you raise it.

Scott, the Penetrator uses the same match as your I-10K. Jay just bends his in a different shape to get an imaginary 3 db more gain. What Jay told you about tuning a Sirio is an exaggeration and not a problem for most people. You just follow the instructions and you usually end up with a nice 1.1:1 VSWR. The new Gain Master doesn't even require any tuning and has the same gain as the Sigma design beating all 5/8 wave ground planes by 1 db.

So after 75 pages of posts I don't know how much more can be added to all this but here goes.

I will be doing a comparison test of the A99, Imax 2000 and Sirio Gain Master.

I plan to spend a Saturday in a open field and set up using a temporary 20' mast. I'm going to use the same radio, coax and mast and tune and mount each antenna one at a time.

I'll have my MFJ analyzer handy.

I'm just going to go with a Uniden Grant for the radio, 50' of simple mini 8 coax for the test since it's the most common used by CBer's. This should put my vehicle roughly 30' away from the antennas and it will remain in the same position throughout the testing so hopefully it will not be considered a variable.

I'm going to record the meter at my home station on video and have two other stations take readings as I do the testing.

Not the most exciting way to spend a Saturday but maybe it will shed some light on the subject.

I think I'll also take the chance to put a 10K and 102" SS up against each other as well for some perspective.

Since I'm taking the time to do this if anyone has any suggestions prior to my setup that they believe will help eliminate any heresay afterwards please let me know :)

i dont know if ya been following this but it seems the sirio needs to be alone
in the sky when doing tests.other antennas up do have a affect on it.
hopefully im not too late on this. im curious to what u see .i watch all your vids
and appreacate your time and efforts

Cleaned up the trolling by Bigman and the resulting mess. Thread is now reopened for discussion.

As one wrote before in this thread:

"the best vertical antenna is not the best antenna for everyone"

And I agree to 100%.But for sure the GM is one hell of antenna(y)
Is small and very handy,very low swr thru many megs and the best part
no RFI:D

Thank you Moleculo. (y)

I didn't want to start a new thread just to report,
I had a 139 mile contact using the Gain Master the other night.
12:30am no noise the guy said he had been listening to us talk and asked for a break to find out where we were at.
From Escondido to Ventura Ca, is a 139 miles in a straight line.
Not bad for 4 watts, Channel 12AM and a Gain Master.
Escondido sits down in a bowl like valley and then there are a
big bunch of them California Foot hills between me and Ventura.
Man I like this Antenna.(y)

Stock Radio: Galaxy 2547
Stock Mic
Antenna Hiight:24 feet to the Base of the Antenna.

Last edited:
the more i learn about antennas the more i think we really dont know what the heck they are gonna do till they are installed . it seems that we can get a general idea of which antennas can perform the best in the majority of locations . but we dont KNOW if were in one of those locations that presents a set of conditions that will favor a (for instance) antron 99 over a imax or maco till its tried there . ive read post on forums by folks i believe to be giving their honest reports saying their 99 out performed x-brand of 5/8 antenna .

the more i learn about antennas the more i think we really dont know what the heck they are gonna do till they are installed . it seems that we can get a general idea of which antennas can perform the best in the majority of locations . but we dont KNOW if were in one of those locations that presents a set of conditions that will favor a (for instance) antron 99 over a imax or maco till its tried there . ive read post on forums by folks i believe to be giving their honest reports saying their 99 out performed x-brand of 5/8 antenna .

I am with ya there... researched Gizmotchy beams for months now and being the nostalgic kind of guy I am was seriously wanting to try them out. now after reading what seemed like hundreds of different opinions from folks that think they are only mediocre to others that think they are the best thing since sliced bread I have come to the conclusion that I just won't know until I try them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.