• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

I am with ya there... researched Gizmotchy beams for months now and being the nostalgic kind of guy I am was seriously wanting to try them out. now after reading what seemed like hundreds of different opinions from folks that think they are only mediocre to others that think they are the best thing since sliced bread I have come to the conclusion that I just won't know until I try them.

moverider, can you tell us something specific you found in your research on the Gizmotchy?

Several have been and are being discussed on this forum, and I think these discussion leave the reader with more questions than answers, buy far. In fact Happy Hammer an administrator has a 4 element he was trying to give away a while back with certain understanding regarding the transfer of the antenna.

Look him up, you can't hardly get it any cheaper, and if it's still available.

Last edited:
moverider, can you tell us something specific you found in your research on the Gizmotchy?

Several have been and are being discussed on this forum, and I think these discussion leave the reader with more questions than answers, buy far. In fact Happy Hammer an administrator has a 4 element he was trying to give away a while back with certain understanding regarding the transfer of the antenna.

Look him up, you can't hardly get it any cheaper, and if it's still available.

Not wishing to hijack the Sirio GM thread with Gizmotchy trivia but to answer your question... no nothing specific, either some love them or others are skeptical. I posted in the thread for the unfinished review that Happy Hamer was doing that I was a little concerned that it appears it was assembled improperly and I have seen some information on a dealers website concerning front director element length that conflicts with manufacturers spec's.

Not that I understand all the info generated by the EZNEC software but would love to see the model for a correctly assembled G45 11 meter Gizmotchy v/s shortening up the front director to 97" as some suggest

I saw in a post on March 21st where Happy Hamer offered up the one he was reviewing and received a reply, not sure what transpired with that but would have loved to have seen that review completed with a properly assembled antenna before I purchased mine.

I am just getting back into the radio business after about an 18 year hiatus but have Run PDL II, Moonraker IV and stacked V-Quads back in the day and was pleased with them all... just wanted to try something "different" this time around and the Gizmotchy looks to fit that bill.

Good luck on your progress to discover what the Gizmotchy is all about. Keep us posted, OK?

the more i learn about antennas the more i think we really dont know what the heck they are gonna do till they are installed . it seems that we can get a general idea of which antennas can perform the best in the majority of locations . but we dont KNOW if were in one of those locations that presents a set of conditions that will favor a (for instance) antron 99 over a imax or maco till its tried there . ive read post on forums by folks i believe to be giving their honest reports saying their 99 out performed x-brand of 5/8 antenna .

You nailed it man, every install is different. I recently did a test of 4 mobile antennas and the 10k beat the 102". On a different vehicle with the same setup the 102" beat the 10k. So we can't blindly say a 102 is the best antenna for every install. But over time we can come to some resonable conclusions like "generally speaking a 102" will outperform other antennas in most installs".

But I think there are always variables and as stated previous the antenna that works the best for YOU is the best antenna :)

scrap

bought a overated ,overpriced gainmaster had it up @ 50ft for 2 weeks could not wait to get it back dwn sold it straight away in my opinion a total heap of scrap but back up my 10yr old 827 all back to normal

DAVE.DX

You nailed it man, every install is different. I recently did a test of 4 mobile antennas and the 10k beat the 102". On a different vehicle with the same setup the 102" beat the 10k. So we can't blindly say a 102 is the best antenna for every install. But over time we can come to some resonable conclusions like "generally speaking a 102" will outperform other antennas in most installs".

But I think there are always variables and as stated previous the antenna that works the best for YOU is the best antenna :)

I am willing to bet the 10k wouldnt win crap if I tested it vs a 1/4 wave. Where can you intall a 10k on a vehicle that it will outperform a 1/4 wave.

bought a overated ,overpriced gainmaster had it up @ 50ft for 2 weeks could not wait to get it back dwn sold it straight away in my opinion a total heap of scrap but back up my 10yr old 827 all back to normal

DAVE.DX

Thankfully your experience is vastly different then others who have experimented with this antenna.

MrSurburban - used same setup on both vehicles - tri-mag mount center of the roof. 10K beat out the 102 on 1 vehicle and the 102 won on the other vehicle.

The difference between was so slight if I hadn't recorded it in HD and analyzed it afterwards it almost would have been impossible to tell. Width of a needle.

Once again - these are just basic testing results. I'd love to have 50 different vehicles and I'd also like to try some tests at further distances but don't have the time right now.

I'd venture to say that the 102 will beat out the other antennas a VERY HIGH percentage of the time (we could guess 90-95%), but after doing my test I would not claim it will work better than a coil (10K,MM, etc) in all cases. There are so many variables at play. Coils are slightly shorter, easy to tune in most cases, and don't bend at highway speeds so for certain people these factors make them a better antenna than a 102".

Once again I wasn't trying to make any wild claims about coil antennas I just wanted to show that every install can prove to perform different and things don't always line up exactly the way we'd expect.

MrSurburban - used same setup on both vehicles - tri-mag mount center of the roof. 10K beat out the 102 on 1 vehicle and the 102 won on the other vehicle.

The difference between was so slight if I hadn't recorded it in HD and analyzed it afterward it almost would have been impossible to tell. Width of a needle.

Once again - these are just basic testing results. I'd love to have 50 different vehicles and I'd also like to try some tests at further distances but don't have the time right now.

I'd venture to say that the 102 will beat out the other antennas a VERY HIGH percentage of the time (we could guess 90-95%), but after doing my test I would not claim it will work better than a coil (10K,MM, etc) in all cases. There are so many variables at play. Coils are slightly shorter, easy to tune in most cases, and don't bend at highway speeds so for certain people these factors make them a better antenna than a 102".

Once again I wasn't trying to make any wild claims about coil antennas I just wanted to show that every install can prove to perform different and things don't always line up exactly the way we'd expect.

Thanks Mr. CBRadio for adding yet another example from a really curious and interested individual showing some real anecdotal evidence of their testing and comparing results. Your tends also seems to show a lot less difference in actual performance than the words from many of these big claim guys on the Internet...as they go skipping down the imaginary lane of their imaginations, muttering the words from the song, "My Ding-a-Ling." :laugh:

My Ding A Ling Lyrics by Chuck Berry

ive found the cb mag man to be very level headed and i really appreciate his reviews and i have a lot of respect for him .

ive said it before and ill say it again ....
thank you cb mag man for your efforts and lack of sensationalism (y)

Bob, if them two you mentioned, drove into my back yard to get a fair comparison of their antennas, I'd probably have to pull em' back from smellin' the grass, cause I sure would hate they got into a real live patch of high quality "Mary's green" growin' out of one of ole' Rojo's deposits...where the weed flourishes. We don't call him Rojo for nothin'.

I doubt ole' George would make it over here though, seein' the problems with flying these days, he wouldn't make it through the first gate. :D

Have ya'll seen Rojo singing the blues? Click on my YouTube channel below.

Bob, if them two you mentioned, drove into my back yard to get a fair comparison of their antennas, I'd probably have to pull em' back from smellin' the grass, cause I sure would hate they got into a real live patch of high quality "Mary's green" growin' out of one of ole' Rojo's deposits...where the weed flourishes. We don't call him Rojo for nothin'.

I doubt ole' George would make it over here though, seein' the problems with flying these days, he wouldn't make it through the first gate. :D

Have ya'll seen Rojo singing the blues? Click on my YouTube channel below.

seeing as my country is now growing that much mary green they are exporting it now, flying isn't something i have problems with,

i prefer puffing weed and flying to drinking and driving, you spill too much drink driving.

old Rojo sounds like my type of dude,lol.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.