• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Forum... New Rig!

And have the AL80B hooked up now...

It's very nice. I am only running it on 110v for now, and seeing 1000 out on 40 meters. I have 220 ran now, and will convert the amp when time permits. It runs just barely warm when I'm jawing with the "locals" with 110 vac. I will drop the drive from the rig and try to keep output around 500-600 watts, but wanted to see what she'd do. My meter is not very accurate on the MFJ-989C, but I just ordered a Palstar AT2K today to remedy that and my troubles getting accurate tunes with the MFJ. After that, I'm pondering a heavy duty dummy load. My wife may divorce me if I spend any more money!

Brett

Also, I've had quite a bit of on air help getting the audio right. I currently run the W2IHY 8 band eq and EQ Plus with a Radio Shack 33-3001 mic. http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5864 I get very good reports with it after adjusting both the W2IHY settings and making some adjustments to the internal parametric EQ. The FTDX-3000 will transmit 4k wide, but I've found the sweet spot for 3k and 2.9 as well. Nobody likes bass when DX'ing. :) I have also ordered an MXL R144 ribbon mic on recommendation from a good friend. We'll see if it outperforms my cheapo RS mic that I picked up for less than 40 bucks.

Brett

Also, I've had quite a bit of on air help getting the audio right. I currently run the W2IHY 8 band eq and EQ Plus

I run that audio stack also :) I also use the iPlus for switching between rigs while using the same mic/speakers. It works great.

Reactions: 2RT307
I run that audio stack also :) I also use the iPlus for switching between rigs while using the same mic/speakers. It works great.
Julius rocks. Best customer service EVER. I just use the switches on the back to switch rigs. A little cumbersome, but it works.

Palstar came today... already found the tuning points for it and it's working well. Probably going to put it underneath the rig since it's a tad bigger.

Brett

Got the MXL mic in, and she's a sweetheart. Moleculo, here's a pic of the W2IHY stuff:

New mic that was supposed to be blue-ish/purple and chrome, but they sent me the special edition pearl white and gold since they were out of stock:

REALLY had to readjust the settings for this mic. I've had some very good on-air help with it, and seem to have it narrowed down to where it sounds very good.

Brett

Hated the big hoop pop filter being in my face, so ordered a WindTech PopGard:

I like it a lot, and it doesn't block my view! Very light, so it doesn't weigh the boom down.

Brett

Seems like a legitimate question to me, since bad seams would get oil everywhere.

On Edit: I guess I should have done a search... found Robb's old thread and your response:

"My Cantenna is so old that I'm sure it has the nice PCB goodness. It's starting to rust along the bottom and has a few war wounds. I got a new lined can with bail that's all shiny looking. I'm gonna powder coat it and change everything over. I popped the lid today, the old oil is nice and dark, looks heavy and barely has an odor. I guess it should be okay to use."
Mudfoot,Aug 22, 2012

I think I am going to get the MFJ one.. doesn't seem to be any difference between theirs and the Ameritron, other than the label slapped on the can.

Brett

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.