• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Forum... New Rig!

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
Well I see we have a "new" forum. In the meantime while the upgrade was coming... I got my upgrade rig. I decided on the Yaesu FTDX-3000D. Very nice rig so far, and I really like the receiver. The DSP is not annoying like a lot of rigs I have listened to. Yes, you still get some of that phasing sound, but it's really not bad. You can make signals "pop" out of the noise with all the features it has. I haven't gotten the transmit audio worked out yet, as I have the W2IHY 8 band eq and Eq Plus outboard audio equipment. Doing some preliminary settings via the monitor through headphones, but I know that's not really accurate. I'm going to have to do some on-air checks to get it just right. Internal tuner is kind of weird, but it is tuning my delta loop on 40 through 6, and actually tunes my end fed random wire on 80 and up. So far, I'm very happy with it!

Brett

Whoa! Nice new rig! When you get the whole thing set up with the W2IHY gear, let's see some pics. In the mean time, give us a review...I haven't had the opportunity to use this rig yet!

Reactions: 2RT307
Brett: I've had mine(FTdx 3000D) now since last September. I have really enjoyed operating this rig. The DNR circuit settings are extremely functional. The FT-950 was good, I thought.
I have found the FTdx 3000 a vast improved circuit. I will tell you this also, if you have found the DNR pleasant, just wait till you hear the receiver on 80-60-40 meters with a MTU in-line.
Having the ability to actually tune(or detune) the first IF stage gain and slope is really pretty damn amazing.
I use no extra outboard audio on mine, strictly radio with the Heil Gold Elite using the "studio" element. I could send you my settings as a base reference, however if your using outboard processing they will not help. I would think you'll keep the 3000 totally "Flat" and do everything outboard.
I played with mine for about a month and when I got it to where Op's come to me in-person and say "You sound in-person just like you do on the air" I got it!
I at first thought the real time band scope was a interesting "thing". I have found it very useful on 10m and especially 6m when just listening. You can simply park somewhere on the band and with the VFO set in Fast when you see a signal; the scope shows you where to go to find it. Then with Fast tuning and the scope in real time, you can quickly dial right to it while watching the peaks above the noise floor. Pretty friken cool tool!
I have not programmed a single memory after almost a year, with the radio remembering up to (3) frequencies on each band simply using the band push-buttons; why bother!
I did turn down the brightness and back-lighting on the displays to level (3) from default (10), I found it way to "HOT". No sense keeping the display that warm when it's not to my liking.
Well enjoy the new "Boy" toy, I am glad I made the jump and would recommend the rig as a "Keeper". I still say that about the FT-950 also.
All the Best
Gary

Very nice, but there is something wrong with it. I know, you are not using it enough if you got time for pictures. Seriously, very nice radio, hope you enjoy using it.

Brett: I've had mine(FTdx 3000D) now since last September. I have really enjoyed operating this rig. The DNR circuit settings are extremely functional. The FT-950 was good, I thought.
I have found the FTdx 3000 a vast improved circuit. I will tell you this also, if you have found the DNR pleasant, just wait till you hear the receiver on 80-60-40 meters with a MTU in-line.
Having the ability to actually tune(or detune) the first IF stage gain and slope is really pretty damn amazing.
I use no extra outboard audio on mine, strictly radio with the Heil Gold Elite using the "studio" element. I could send you my settings as a base reference, however if your using outboard processing they will not help. I would think you'll keep the 3000 totally "Flat" and do everything outboard.
I played with mine for about a month and when I got it to where Op's come to me in-person and say "You sound in-person just like you do on the air" I got it!
I at first thought the real time band scope was a interesting "thing". I have found it very useful on 10m and especially 6m when just listening. You can simply park somewhere on the band and with the VFO set in Fast when you see a signal; the scope shows you where to go to find it. Then with Fast tuning and the scope in real time, you can quickly dial right to it while watching the peaks above the noise floor. Pretty friken cool tool!
I have not programmed a single memory after almost a year, with the radio remembering up to (3) frequencies on each band simply using the band push-buttons; why bother!
I did turn down the brightness and back-lighting on the displays to level (3) from default (10), I found it way to "HOT". No sense keeping the display that warm when it's not to my liking.
Well enjoy the new "Boy" toy, I am glad I made the jump and would recommend the rig as a "Keeper". I still say that about the FT-950 also.
All the Best
Gary

Thanks Gary! I didn't realize you had one of these rigs. I knew Ratso was going to get a 1200. Really fell in love with the two of these rigs when I stopped into HRO. I've been working on getting the rig to talk to my software so far, and finally got it all working today. You might be able to tell from my pic that my "shack" is a shed. Getting it wired here in the next 3 weeks, and will also have a dedicated AC line for my AL-80B. In the meantime, it's real hot in there during the day, even with a fan blowing. So yes, I'll be adding a window air conditioner too. I have set the internal settings the same as this guy did in the video:

I had to detune most of my previous settings, as this rig seems to have a pretty "hot" tx audio section. Still working on getting an on-air check from a trusted source... but hoping to get that done this evening.

Also caught some vids from a FTDX1200 owner on YouTube with a smart way to go... saving the extra money from the FTDX3000 and investing in a SDR receiver. I'm really considering going with a Funcube Dongle Pro Plus at this time with a dedicated receive antenna. Need to do some research on it, but the thing is only 200 bucks!

Brett

Did the tx audio settings as described in the video, and my "normal" settings via the W2IHY 8 Band and EQ Plus. Very good 40 meter on air report back! :D

I considered the FTDX3000, but I decided to go for the FlexRadio 6300 instead.

The kit has already been reserved and once the antenna etc is setup, its off to ML&S to pick it up.

I considered the FTDX3000, but I decided to go for the FlexRadio 6300 instead.

The kit has already been reserved and once the antenna etc is setup, its off to ML&S to pick it up.

The Flex rigs are cool, but two things kept me from considering one. First, I like knobs and a rig on my desk. Second, I didn't have a new enough/fast enough computer to run it with... or the money in my budget to buy one. I hope you enjoy yours, and please post up a report on it when you get it.

Here's a pretty shaky video of me fiddling with settings on the Yaesu. You can hear the DSP really working without distorting the incoming signal.

Brett

You do not need a powerful computer to run the latest FlexRadios compared to the previous generation apparently. The processing load has been taken from the PC and now takes place in the radio itself. Should be OTA next Saturday, British weather permitting. The thought of being able to see 7MHz of spectrum and being able to pounce on a signal sold it - a signal that could be missed with knob twiddling. There are still things to fiddle with, but just on the PC.

73s de G4DWV/4X1LT

New easy upgrade via the Yaesu site... adds power output control to the compressor knob in SSB mode. Just did it yesterday without a hitch.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated