• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New guy needs help with base station

jmammo

Jan 8, 2007
Joliet,Illinois
Hi guys I am new to this site.
I recently got interested in CB and HAM Radio. I figured CB would be the to pursue since it doesn't require you to take a test.
Since I am only 15 and don't have a car yet I am going to set up a base station in my room until I am 16 and can drive.
So I need some advice on what to buy and where to buy it from I only want to spend around 150 but 200 is max absolute max.
I need the whole she-bang the radio,coax,antenna, and power supply.
By the way my dad does not want me to hang anything from the house so the only thing I can get away with for now is an indoor antenna. The tower is right next to my window but running the coax through the window will ruin the seal.
Any tips would be helpful
Thanks,
Jack

run coax thru window only when its open. i use to do that i my parents house when i was your age. and i had my a-99 in the tree next to the house. had grandads president washinton. mazn those were the days.

so anyway cheapest base set up i can think of is find a antron99 on ebay they go on there sometimes for as little as 20 dollars. great starter antenna and real easy to set up just stand it up and hook the coax to it. then get you some rg8 coax off ebay or at radio shack. then get what ever radio you can find a mobil or a regular base of what ever you can find that hasnt been all hacked up. you can run a mobil with a small power supply. make sure it is at least a 40 cahnnel cb. if you really are thinking of eventually become a ham you might want to get a cb with SSB aswell as AM modes of talking.

only differentce in base and mobil cb's is the power supply being built in on the base units. most radios even use the same boards with just different options built in.

hope that has helped you out. 8)

I recommend the following for a very tight budget (if buying new)

Pyramid PS14K Power supply $43.95 (R&L Electronics)
Cobra 19 $34.96 (Wal-Mart)
Astro Plane (Top One) Antenna $49.99
50ft RG-58 Rat Shack $22.99 (Not the greatest coax)
Grand Total $151.89 (minus shipping for the ant and PS)

There are several ways to get that coax outside. You could as suggested, operate with the window open and then toss the cable outside when not in use (connectors are not waterproof). Or you can use a small piece of strand-board or plywood near the bottom of the window (running the full width of the window at least 3" in height) and drill holes for the coax through this board and the window closes/shuts on the board. You would need to stuff some foam insulation (similar to the insulation that comes with a new window air conditioner) where the window opens near the top.

You could use one of the indoor dipoles or a mag-mount antenna on the fridge, cookie sheet, or stove but I would recommend an outdoor antenna. By far the best money will be spent on the antenna, and the Astro Plane doesn't need to be very far off the ground to work (10ft) but I would keep it away from rooftops (considerable distance).

Granted the radio isn't the best (Cobra 19) but it fits within the budget if buying all new equipment.

Good Luck!

jmammo said:
By the way my dad does not want me to hang anything from the house so the only thing I can get away with for now is an indoor antenna. The tower is right next to my window but running the coax through the window will ruin the seal.
You have a tower right next to a window but want to run an indoor antenna? :?: :!:

There's a guy who sells the base conversion unit on Ebay-Get yourself some metal fence post sections at home depot [one thet fits inside the other] use those for a mast and secure to the house with a strap or wires.Clamp an A99 antenna to it and run a ground wire to plumbing or a ground rod.Then just run coax to radio and you're set.Look on Ebay or local flea or yard sales for a decent radio-a used Cobra 29LTD would be good or even a sideband radio if you can find one cheap enough.I use a 99 and can talk around the country on sideband when the skip is good.Indoor antennas are a waste of time-I never saw one that could get out well.A decent antenna is more important than the radio.Try to get a radio with SWR meter or buy a meter-you will need one.

Master Chief said:
You have a tower right next to a window but want to run an indoor antenna? :?: :!:

It makes no sense I know but he seems to think that I would be breaking the seal on the window if I ran the coax through and closed the window.
Now obviously I can leave the window open and when I am done disconnect the wire an hang it on something that is protruding from the house.

jmammo said:
Hi guys I am new to this site.
I recently got interested in CB and HAM Radio. I figured CB would be the to pursue since it doesn't require you to take a test.
Since I am only 15 and don't have a car yet I am going to set up a base station in my room until I am 16 and can drive.
So I need some advice on what to buy and where to buy it from I only want to spend around 150 but 200 is max absolute max.
I need the whole she-bang the radio,coax,antenna, and power supply.

Thanks,
Jack

Here's my two cents:

1. Buy used
2. Stay away from the stuff made in China (if it's an older base you won't have to worry about it)
3. Figure out if you just want to start out on AM or AM and SSB. If you're alert, you can pick up a AM/SSB base for under $100 on EBAY.
4. Don't get caught up in "Mods" (especially the modulation clip mod)
5. Don't get too caught up in the "Slang". Talk on the radio like you were talking to someone face-to-face
6. Used brands to look at: Sears Roadtalker SSB, Robyn, Teaberry/ Stalker, Uniden, Courier.

Good Luck!!
Woody

jmammo said:
I have found about 60ft of coax in my basement (which is more then enough) so I do not need to buy that anymore. Is there a better radio that anyone can suggest?
Does anyone know anything about this power supply?
http://www.walcottcb.com/mbps-base-station-power-supply-p-1000.html
What is the best way to secure the antenna to a structure?
Thanks for all of your help and quick responses.

Well I'll be darned. That looks pretty good. I have never seen something like that before.Usually the power supply is the ugliest thing in the shack.Except for some of the operators of course. :LOL:

jmammo said:
I have found about 60ft of coax in my basement (which is more then enough) so I do not need to buy that anymore. Is there a better radio that anyone can suggest?

Yes, Cobra 148GTL (SSB)... Cobra 29, Cobra 142 (has built in power supply)

Yes I have seen them, and they are good for a startup station, but I do have reservations on the power supply they use.

I use an Antron A99 (and I am planning on switching to an Astro Plane soon) and it has the tendency to bleed or have nasty harmonics. I use a couple of TVI filters, and an RF ground to rectify the problem.

A good RF ground is essential which consists of braided strap or solid wire (heavy gauge) and a ground rod driven about 8ft into the ground. You can construct a counterpoise ground out of coax wire (around 9ft to start) if you do not have access to a true ground (of course I would consider this as a last option).

This should be good for a laugh. My first base CB, or first CB of any kind, was an old Pace 23 channel with a clothes-hanger shoved in the antenna socket as an antenna. This was (obviously) before I really knew anything at all about CB's. Needless to say, the finals went quite quickly. An older local user offered to have the radio diagnosed, which is how I found out it was the finals. Well, I decided I could change them easily enough myself, so I promptly went to Radio Shack and ordered what I thought was the finals. I ended up changing out the audio amp transistors, not the final, lol!. I got my first real base radio right after that (Cobra 139XLR), and finally learned about SWR's at the same time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.