• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Guy...

BTW it's all on me the not understanding of radio use and of course I accept that. I have the patience of a tse tse fly landing on a hot skillet.

Obviously or perhaps not, I need to go HF now. I assumed HandyTalkie, then grow into a base or mobile unit. Wrong approach. Not interested in spending hour after hour, day after day, ----> month after month playing kiddie games, although I'd like to, but at my age I need to jump into the deep water. I assume there are many of my Brothers that are experiencing this stage of our lives, understand. Messed up in my decisions regarding Ham Radio. Oh well not much money lost. If you were to set up a nice shack allowing for 5 grand or so what would you do? HOA Centurions standing guard at my doorstep, dressed in moo moos, guard dog poodles snarling, and an ever ready phone camera at their hip. Reminds me of the descriptions during the Cold War of Soviet Apartment dwellings having the Party rat bastards ratting everyone out, supplying info for a small block of cheese. Anyhow, right after this Extra exam, which I'm taking 2/27, I'll begin to build. The antenna is the challenge. I can run some sort of Dipole in the attic, as well as setting something up, and taking it down each day, that doesn't bother me either. I've a friend across the street and he has some sort of vertical pole lying along side his home that he lifts and sets up whenever he feels like it. I wish he were available more often but he does live in two places. Looking forward to a reply. 73

Obviously or perhaps not, I need to go HF now. I assumed HandyTalkie, then grow into a base or mobile unit. Wrong approach. Not interested in spending hour after hour, day after day, ----> month after month playing kiddie games, although I'd like to, but at my age I need to jump into the deep water. I assume there are many of my Brothers that are experiencing this stage of our lives, understand. Messed up in my decisions regarding Ham Radio. Oh well not much money lost. If you were to set up a nice shack allowing for 5 grand or so what would you do? HOA Centurions standing guard at my doorstep, dressed in moo moos, guard dog poodles snarling, and an ever ready phone camera at their hip. Reminds me of the descriptions during the Cold War of Soviet Apartment dwellings having the Party rat bastards ratting everyone out, supplying info for a small block of cheese. Anyhow, right after this Extra exam, which I'm taking 2/27, I'll begin to build. The antenna is the challenge. I can run some sort of Dipole in the attic, as well as setting something up, and taking it down each day, that doesn't bother me either. I've a friend across the street and he has some sort of vertical pole lying along side his home that he lifts and sets up whenever he feels like it. I wish he were available more often but he does live in two places. Looking forward to a reply. 73
Dipole in the attic...does your attic have metallic ventilation ducts, maybe a bit of extra electrical wiring or foil faced insulation batts? Those can be showstoppers.

@Beetle Upon further examination the attic is not going to work. It does not go through end to end. I have a 25' run then it cuts out to allow for high ceilings in the living room and kitchen. We have tile roofs with I believe the foil backed insulation. An outdoor removable antenna will have to work. I'll try a vertical 25-30' mast or some sort of covert antenna.

Chief Warrant Officers were due much respect in my day.

@Beetle Upon further examination the attic is not going to work. It does not go through end to end. I have a 25' run then it cuts out to allow for high ceilings in the living room and kitchen. We have tile roofs with I believe the foil backed insulation. An outdoor removable antenna will have to work. I'll try a vertical 25-30' mast or some sort of covert antenna.

Chief Warrant Officers were due much respect in my day.
Thank you, RedRiver11.... how high are those ceilings :)

When I first started, my station was in our garage and my antennas in our attic. It is FULL of foil-covered A/C ducts, electrical wiring, A/C and Heating Unit, and boxes piled high with who-knows-what. Started with a 41' MKII Endfedz 10/20/40. Hung it horizontal with a big bend in it. Worked great on all three bands. This was followed by an assortment of wire dipoles and some CB antennas made from 4' Firestiks. Had great success with all of them. Were they as good as something outdoors in the clear? Of course not. But I was on the air and making contacts. You just never know till you try. :giggle:

Reactions: RT431

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.