• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Guy...

RedRiverII

BANNED
Jan 8, 2022
Hi, I have the license and don't know how to use the radio. KO4JLU, call sign. I received my Tech and bought a Baofeng, ah this doesn't work. Studied some more and received my General, bought a Yaesu, ah this doesn't work. It reminds me of a friend who was married and divorced four times, he finally said " maybe it's me." So in simpatico with my buddy, maybe it's me and not the radios.

Just for a say so, I'm a good man. I'm married to the same gal for 32 years. I'm connected to my community in several ways, I have had three rescue dogs, four rescue pussy cats, and saved over 100 stray and injured animals. I did not want to get involved with rescuing them but what's a fellow to do other than lend assistance? I served in the USN 70-72, operated ECM equipment, listed to the Soviets in Cuba searching for new unknown signals. That is all.

I'm retired and tried all sorts of activities to get some needed reasons to get up in the morning. So now it's Ham Radio. Since we are celebrating the Holidays many of the Ham clubs near me won't really have a meeting soon, and I am an excited guy and can't wait I'm reaching out here for help. I'm in Florida.

The question is how do I make my first contact? Thank you in advance!

Gary thank you. I have a Yaesu FT60R with it's antenna and added a Diamond SRH77CA antennae, that is all I have for now. I'm looking to further my interests but need to get a handle on Ham in general.

Reactions: Rwb
Hi, I have the license and don't know how to use the radio. KO4JLU, call sign. I received my Tech and bought a Baofeng, ah this doesn't work. Studied some more and received my General, bought a Yaesu, ah this doesn't work. It reminds me of a friend who was married and divorced four times, he finally said " maybe it's me." So in simpatico with my buddy, maybe it's me and not the radios.

Just for a say so, I'm a good man. I'm married to the same gal for 32 years. I'm connected to my community in several ways, I have had three rescue dogs, four rescue pussy cats, and saved over 100 stray and injured animals. I did not want to get involved with rescuing them but what's a fellow to do other than lend assistance? I served in the USN 70-72, operated ECM equipment, listed to the Soviets in Cuba searching for new unknown signals. That is all.

I'm retired and tried all sorts of activities to get some needed reasons to get up in the morning. So now it's Ham Radio. Since we are celebrating the Holidays many of the Ham clubs near me won't really have a meeting soon, and I am an excited guy and can't wait I'm reaching out here for help. I'm in Florida.

The question is how do I make my first contact? Thank you in advance!
Welcome!

Reactions: Rwb and RedRiverII
Gary thank you. I have a Yaesu FT60R with it's antenna and added a Diamond SRH77CA antennae, that is all I have for now. I'm looking to further my interests but need to get a handle on Ham in general.
Run away from HT's (walkie talkies) and get a mobile or multi band HF radio, put up a wire dipole and you will find many to talk to. Your situation is why I NEVER suggest starting out with a HT, you may never make a contact with anyone. Welcome to the Forum, you will find a lot of good people here!

Last edited:
Welcome.

Have you programmed in some local 2 meter/ 70 cm repeaters in your radio? That will get you talking to the locals. There are several options for HOA stealthy antennas, a dipole or long wire in the attic or a tree. Depends on how rabid your HOA is. All my antennas are in the attic. If you have trouble programming your radio, get the frequencies/tones/offsets and then search YouTube for your radio and follow along with them putting in a channel.

Take care.

Jim (H1driver)/W4LSH

Reactions: Rwb and RedRiverII
Thanks @midnight special , @w9cll, @H1driver. Yep I'm getting to the point where I'm going to buy the damn HF rig and have a go at it.

I have downloaded all the frequencies from radio id. I don't know how to add that second or receiving freq.

@H1driver I will seek out the antennae in the attic solution. How do you put an antenna in the attic? Where do I find the correct antennae? Can I hire some company to do it for me?

I have to say this and let it be determined how coo coo I may be. I tried Golf and bought the gear, gave that away after walking longer, back and forth on the green, that I did on the fairway. I picked up guitar and bought a Fender, Gibson, Epiphone, two small company guitars and a small amp then bought a tweed version for $2g's. Go big or go home. They are collecting dust, Fishing poles and gear, please don't ask. Since I moved to Florida I get sun stroke every time I go out fishing. Guns oy' another collection of beaucoup dollars sitting in a safe. Well at least they're safe. We talking like$30 grand worth of " let me find an interest Dear Lord." This was all to lead up to this, I went on the cheap with this radio stuff. After the tech license---Baofeng. General ---YaesuFT60R. Not bad mouthing the Yaesu thank you in advance. I need to solve this challenge and get on the air and meet some folk.
Thank you all for your response.

Very cool and helpful responses and I appreciate them. I'll be brought up to speed because of your help/ Yesterday was like banging my head against the wall and a frustrating two hours trying to get first contact.

welcome to the place. try scanning 2 meters simplex. somebody is there somewhere

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.