• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Guy...

Thanks RWB, I wouldn't know Simplex if it had teeth and bit me in my ass. But I will look into it, thank you once again.

I wanted to express to you all that I don't and never have thought this Ham Radio stuff was easy. I was a plumber for forty years and probably know a thousand different fittings off the top of my head. I'll get a handle on this stuff but it'll take some time. I do appreciate the help. Sooner or later an Elmer will appear in personal contact with me, however I am struggling at present and will not give in anytime soon. This field can be rich and rewarding both in friendship and removing some wrinkles from my brain. It's tough stuff but I learned to read Shakespeare at ten from reading it over and over.

Welcome RedRiverII
Look to see if there is a Ham club local to you.
If so then I'm sure one of them will be an Elmer to you & getting you going.
A lot of great people here with tips & tricks.
Google has always been a GREAT help for me with how to videos.
Someone in front of you I think is something everyone needs at first.
Best of luck with the hoppy.

I've watched every recommended video, thank you all.

Good! Did they help you finish the programing of your 2/HT's?
The Homebrew antennas I left links for will increase the range of the HT's 10-fold. The "rubber duck" antenna(s) are only good for a few miles at best, unless using thru a good local repeater system. Get those frequencies programmed, listen for activity.
Here to help
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

PS: Plummer hey!!!:whistle:(y) Almost 40 year IBEW Journeyman here!!! Now retired!!! 73

Reactions: Rwb and 2RT307
FLA Repeater map.jpg

Florida : Florida ham radio clubs - The DXZone.com

Reactions: Rwb
Welcome to the hobby. AB7XX here. Locally we have a very active 146.520 simplex group. There is always someone calling out during the day. If that isn't the case where you are at start calling out. Here we just say something like KJ7EFC monitoring. For us that is an invitation for a QSO. You could also call out a CQ and ask if anyone is listening? Hopefully you can get the ball rolling for simplex in your town.

Then when you get into HF look into POTA. Parks On The Air. There is a web site for the activity and it is a hugely popular ham activity.

You can listen to some local or regional nets and get the hang of how they interact. Call out and check into the net when they ask for any visitors. You can get your name added to the list if you want.

Find and join a club. I imagine your area will have a number of them to chose from. Go to the meetings and find a group that is a fit for you. That is how I chose a club I am with.

Another activity I love is FT8. Someone in a club can help you get started with this. There is also a ton of youtube videos on the activity. I have had a blast with it.

Have some fun with the new radio be it VHF/UHF or a HF rig. Build an antenna or two. I built several for my station to get an idea of how they work. I bought a used 6BTV and got it on the air. I built a 6 meter Moxon and work the magic band when it is running.

I have a 1/4 wave vertical antenna in my attic hooked up to my HT that I use at my computer desk. I can yak with those who call out on simplex for 20 miles around. I can also reach all the repeaters in my area with that set up.

My shack is a converted garden shed. My wife encouraged me to put it there. She now tells everyone I took it over. Whatever but I am having a blast out there. Whether talking local on simplex 2 meter or 220 or doing HF work that shed is a load of fun for me.

Hopefully we can meet up on the band somewhere someday.

RedRiver, in one of your earlier posts you mention not being able to add the second or receiving frequency. I do not have a Yaesu, but all the radios I have, Icom, Kenwood, TYT you only enter one frequency, the radio will automatically go up or down based on the offset you put in when you key to transmit. Maybe I am not understanding what you meant.

Reactions: Rwb and NZ8N
Thank you @Alan Blackmon Thank you @H1driver. I did see a few vids regarding 1/4 wave home built antennas, seemed simple enough. I assume the dam will break soon and all the frequencies will be available. The dam being the blockage I am experiencing now. I need to break the ice. @H1driver my challenge or frustration was assuming I didn't have the second frequency set up. The Yaesu I believe has that covered. Once again thank you both.
I had a radio once that was about 7'x5' with terrific antennas and a mighty mast.I used all frequencies, from TV stations to transmitting radars. I wonder if the USN would let me borrow that old rig? HaHa!

Before I drop out once more, because of lack of patience, I'm posting. Man o man do I need an Elmer. I'm on my way to the Dr. and taking along my HT. Let's see if I get any reception.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.