• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New HF Rig?

fogdog

Aug 29, 2013
East Tennessee Mountains
I'm in the market for a new HF Rig. I'm not a contester, and never will be. I don't have any immediate plans to go digital, and I don't do CW. I also rarely spend more than 2 hours in the shack, particularly in the warmer months. I also don't want to buy a radio that is going to be obsolete, so I'm not opposed to having options like digital mode access, or SDR. I also have a small budget of $1,000 for the radio. I have been looking at the Yaesu 991A, FTDX1200, and the Icon 7300. I will probably use a wire antenna that i will build. I also want a built in antenna tuner.
If you have one of these radios listed above, do you have any supporting info on why you like your particular radio against another better, and what antenna did you find to work good on a particular radio. I'm kinda leaning towards the ftdx1200. Cost is one factor. At $824.00 shipped. I would just like to get into HF communacations with the least amount of cash.. I'm not a rich Ham, and Ham radio isn't my only expensive hobby, but I do enjoy it more everyday. I can see that if I did get a decent radio, I'll probably be spending more time in the shack particularly this Winter. Thanks for any supporting information. I've been reading EHAM reviews and others for 3 straight days, just can't decide.

Fogdog,
BJ Radionut has the FTDX-3000 and speaks highly of the 1200. I've been looking at it as well. Especially at the current sale price. Don't know what your working space is but the 1200 is much larger and twice as heavy as the 7300.

Fogdog,
BJ Radionut has the FTDX-3000 and speaks highly of the 1200. I've been looking at it as well. Especially at the current sale price. Don't know what your working space is but the 1200 is much larger and twice as heavy as the 7300.
I have plenty of room, and I really like the size of the FTDX1200. Thanks for the reply.

The 1200 is a good rig. There have been a few sold on qrz for around $600. Don't sweat the digital mode thing. Digi can be done with almost any ssb rig if you have the right interface.

What band are you trying to get on? A simple dipole is often the cheapest and best solution.

Reactions: fogdog
Just keep in mind that when viewing the spectrum scope "live" on the 1200, the audio is cut since the radio has only one receiver. This is not the case with the 991A and 7300. Personally, that's not a big deal to me.

All three get great reviews. Let us know what you decide! (y)

No doubt the scope on the 7300 is better by far from what I've read and seen on YouTube, but it's not quite a deal breaker for the other radios. The 991a seems to be a bit of a compromise when it comes to the display. Kinda of in the middle of the 7300 and the 1200. At least that's what I see, but I could be wrong. I know there's no perfect radio, but I'm trying to get close.

Reactions: Riverman
The 1200 is a good rig. There have been a few sold on qrz for around $600. Don't sweat the digital mode thing. Digi can be done with almost any ssb rig if you have the right interface.

What band are you trying to get on? A simple dipole is often the cheapest and best solution.
I'm trying for all the band's I don't already have really, which is just 10 and 12 meter. On the online SDR Radio websites, I hear a lot of activity on 17,20,30,40, and 80. I guess I'm not sure which bands are better for me. I'm not a nite owl, so that may make some of the band's not so important, but then again how would I know because I can't listen to them now except for what I hear online. Ultimately I want to contact a few of my friends that are all the way across the country.

The 7300 receiver is junk when operated in a noisy RF environment, other than that, it is a decent starter radio. A second antenna output would be nice.

No, I am not an ICOM "basher", just telling the truth about that particular rig.

I have a Kenwood TS-440 I would loan to you for as long as you want.
As far as your requirements, no comment other than it is a good radio.
Thanks Tallman, but
I have a Kenwood TS-440 I would loan to you for as long as you want.
As far as your requirements, no comment other than it is a good radio.
Thanks Brother for the solid offer, and I know you mean it. I've got my heart set on getting one on my own, and I'm funded for it. Going to order one soon while Mama is still in the festive spirit. Know what I mean.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.