• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New HF Rig?

fogdog,
I've been wanting a new radio for some time now. Reading your posts encouraged me to get off my duff and order one.

Preferring a classic look and buttons and knobs in lieu of a touch screen, I chose the Kenwood TS-590SG.

Will post a pic when I receive it and have it set up.

Thanks again for the nudge! (y)

Jim

K
fogdog,
I've been wanting a new radio for some time now. Reading your posts encouraged me to get off my duff and order one.

Preferring a classic look and buttons and knobs in lieu of a touch screen, I chose the Kenwood TS-590SG.

Jim

That's great, but don't blame me if you find yourself playing with your new radio for hours on end.:D
All I can say is that there a lot of folks on the air using 7300's now. Im not saying there there the greatest thing out there, but there's a ton of them out there, and everyone comments on the audio in a positive way.
Today I was on AM 20 METERS 14.327. That was cool. Qso from east TN to northern WA. Love my new Radio. I hope you will enjoy yours as much. 73

fogdog,

Jim
I totally understand wanting a particular look in your equipment. Rock On, I'll see ya Down the log.(y)

Reactions: Riverman
It's here!

Kenwood TS-590SG Love it!

TS-590SG.JPG

Also decided to get a new power supply. My MegaWatt was rock steady and never missed a beat but the fan ran continuously and was finally a little too loud for me.
I chose an Alinco DM-330MVT. Four main differences:
The Alinco is HEAVY!
It has a lighted volt/amp meter.
The fan only comes on when needed.
The fan is QUIET.
Time will tell if it holds up and performs as well as the MegaWatt.

DM-330MVT.JPG

Here's my new setup.

Setup.JPG

Like fogdog, am havin' fun now!

Then you need a monstrous tube amp to heat your shack.

I got all I need! and they all work sorta, kinda, well maybe? and since I'm smarter then the average bear I can make them work on any frequency I want just need some fence wire and some caps and 10 low pass filters.
AMPLIFIERS-1.JPG

K

That's great, but don't blame me if you find yourself playing with your new radio for hours on end.:D
All I can say is that there a lot of folks on the air using 7300's now. Im not saying there there the greatest thing out there, but there's a ton of them out there, and everyone comments on the audio in a positive way.
Today I was on AM 20 METERS 14.327. That was cool. Qso from east TN to northern WA. Love my new Radio. I hope you will enjoy yours as much. 73

The SDR rigs usually sound very good on AM. The older rigs were built with ssb in mind and were usually to narrow banded. Most had to be modified to get a respectable sound on AM.

Keep a lookout for the upcoming AM events that take place in Winter. The AM rally starts Feb 1st.

Reactions: fogdog
It's here!

View attachment 27192

Also decided to get a new power supply. My MegaWatt was rock steady and never missed a beat but the fan ran continuously and was finally a little too loud for me.
The Alinco is HEAVY!
The fan is QUIET.

View attachment 27193

Here's my new setup.

View attachment 27194

Rock on Man! Nice Rig.

It's here!

View attachment 27192

The Alinco is HEAVY!
The fan is QUIET.

View attachment 27193

Here's my new setup.

View attachment 27194

Been using the same power supply for about a year now with my 7300.

Hash noise is nonexistent on the Alinco power supply. As is any noise from the internal fan. Excellent little supply.

Have fun with your 590.

Looking forward to the AM contest.

Good deal. It's not a typical contest where people exchange 59 signal reports. People actually have a qso and some don't even log any contacts. Don't be offended if someone says youre piss weak. It's not meant as an insult. Just means they can't hear you very well and it happens to everyone.

Reactions: drgrant and fogdog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.