• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Palomar Ceramic Microphone

The radio sounds pretty narrow so it masks the difference in mics but they still all sound different,

palomar sounds average, not much trebble or bass,

ranger sra has more bass & similar trebble/mids

rk56 has more mids/trebble, more articulate & readable in noisy conditions

cr577 sounds ceramic nothing offensive or outstanding, better than turner

turner m+2 sounds flat and dull & its set lower than the others
back in the day they always sounded too bright / tinny
probably suffering from old age or inactivity
I think the CR-577 is still an outstanding mic. The one I have recently had a cable failure that I have to fix, but it has been one excellent mic in that mean time - IMO . . .

Reactions: JoeDirt and camaro1
I think the CR-577 is still an outstanding mic. The one I have recently had a cable failure that I have to fix, but it has been one excellent mic in that mean time - IMO . . .

The hinge on the key broke on mine. still works but you have to press it just right.

I lost my CR-577 somewhere and now im kicking myself in the butt. I never found it assumed that would be a mic you would be able to buy forever!

I once hooked it to my rack gear an was really surprised on how nice it sounded!

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Im not knocking the cr577 Robb,
just saying how it sounds on that rig at those settings vs the other mics in the test,

the one i think sounded best. was the echo mic.
normally i don't like echo. but you had it set right.

I like my 2018 with just a touch of doubletalk, I'll make a video of mine sometime soon. I need to buy a new one as the one I have is several years old. The new 2018s are getting expensive. Probably 15 buck more then I paid a few years ago.

Last edited:
Are you saying you're having problems with it after just a few years?

I guess I didn't explain why...the switch is screwy on this thing and I have had it fixed once, it still works,but I have to press the switch just right for it to key. I'll keep the old one for a backup. I have dropped and banged this mic for years now, I'm kinda surprised it still works. I took the dials for the echo controls off when I got it sound the way I like it.

Last edited:
In which video? in the first one with the 6 different mics, ....
In the second video you said the bass roll off was not being used, was it used in the first video (the 6 mic one)?

The Palomar does seem pretty comparable to the RK56 in that video, for those looking for an alternative now that the Turners ain't what they used to be this may be it.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Yep. You are right StrangeBrew. And as far as desk mics, the one Grogan has the thread going about, might actually be a decent mic. Time will tell. Someone will have one here soon I'm sure and a vid will be made. Thx to the poster for the comparisons. Helps other pick a mic.
I'll say this, if they are as rugged as they look, they may well be a good replacement mic for mobile use!!

In the second video you said the bass roll off was not being used, was it used in the first video (the 6 mic one)?

The Palomar does seem pretty comparable to the RK56 in that video, for those looking for an alternative now that the Turners ain't what they used to be this may be it.

Yes, in the first video the roll-off is in, and it's out in the second.

The 2018 settings were delay 3/volume 2 in the first video. going from 2 to 1.5 makes a pretty big difference considering how little you move the dial. Rather than removing the dials, I cut a mark into them at the sweet spots, that way I can keep the settings and still kill the echo when I go to SSB.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated