• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Palomar Ceramic Microphone

just to get this about the mic, theres 2 videos on you tube about this mic. one video say theres a adjustment for audio i didnt see any in pic?? eric is this correct?? just curious

Sorry for the late reply to this thread and request! Hopefully you were able to get the requested info from somewhere. If not, I have attached 2 PDF files. The mic schematic and a PDF covering the 2 internal adjustments on the mic. The SL41 has a variable mic sensitivity (gain) control as well as a bass roll off feature. This info is covered in the attached PDF.

Attachments

• Palomar SL41 Internal Adjustments.pdf
    915.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Palomar SL41 Schematic.pdf
    155.1 KB · Views: 88
Good stuff Eric. Appears to have a good sound to it from the videos I watched. And IDK if those mics were modded or not as it wasn't stated they were. I.E., a pot for mic Gain adjustment and also soldering of the pins. Will have to give one a try.
If it's anything like my RF Limited 2018 Extreme, it should be a good mic!!
Hope you do well Eric! Keep quality products coming out and good CS as well and you'll do just fine!!
73 and God Bless!!

Reactions: 2RT307
Mine will arrive tomorrow, Mark @ fine tune did a nice video on them they are worth a try

I will follow up with an on air recording
i will use the 4 pin adapter on the lincoln for now until the 6 pin version is ready..

They all do sound pretty much the same. Only difference is he used some echo on the 2018 extreme. They do have a little bit of a different sound, but not much. If you didn't know which mic was which, you'd have a tough time telling someone which ones were which. The SL41 doesn't sound bad. It's clean and clear at least.

Keep in mind that the audio circuits in both the transmitting and receiving radios are going to effect the sound, if either of these audio circuits passes a narrower bandwidth than the mics it will filter out any differences and make them all sound the same.

To my ear the 198 and 577 had a little more bass to them and the JM+2 sounded a little cleaner than the rest, I suspect the JM+2 sounded as it did because it was set to not drive the radio as hard. The differences are very slight though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
My ears aren't real good anymore. Even at 41, they are not good. Too much loud music 20-25 years ago!! It does kill your ears for sure!!! The differences weren't real different like you said. And it's probably the radio as well. Would like to hear it on some different radios. Guess only way to find out is to buy one. Maybe?? I have too much stuff as is! But I guess it's never enough truly LOL!

I didn't think it sounded that great at all,, maybe it was his radio or the way he was recording it,,, it sounded way "LISSPY" if that's how to explain it,, the 2018 sounded good IF he would have turned the ECHO OFF,,, and the JM2 sounded the best if he would have had a little more modulation out of it, maybe turned up the mic gain just a bit. the others just didn't sound natural

The radio sounds pretty narrow so it masks the difference in mics but they still all sound different,

palomar sounds average, not much trebble or bass,

ranger sra has more bass & similar trebble/mids

rk56 has more mids/trebble, more articulate & readable in noisy conditions

cr577 sounds ceramic nothing offensive or outstanding, better than turner

turner m+2 sounds flat and dull & its set lower than the others
back in the day they always sounded too bright / tinny
probably suffering from old age or inactivity

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated