1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

New Palomar Ceramic Microphone

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Grogan, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

I had a couple of the old palomar effects boxes I got on trade back in the day. They sat on a shelf for years til I saw what they went for on ebay. I got rid of both of them fast. From what I understand the guys south of the border love em...

Hurricane95 likes this.

2. DTB Radio

DTB Radio Well-Known Member

I've run the new SL41 for a little while now on my shop radio, and I've gotten nothing but good reports from it. I'm pleased with its construction, and the tone quality. It is obvious that a lot of thought went into this microphone! I, too, look forward to seeing what the reincarnated Palomar brand will have to offer in the future.

hotrod likes this.
  3. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

About the electret cartridge.

They are made both with and without noise cancelling construction. If Eric says he used a NC cartridge, you can probably trust him.

Gotta try one. Should be easy to tell. A so-called 'noise-cancelling' mike is really just a distance-cancelling mike. Hold it an arm's length from your mouth and it becomes a voice-cancelling mike. Only the sounds that are louder at the front of the cartridge than in the back should be heard, if it's built right. This is why you have to hold it close to your mouth. Sound from a distance enters the cartridge equally from the front and rear holes, and gets cancelled.

But only if it's built right.

rabbiporkchop and tecnicoloco like this.
  4. psycho

psycho Running a special on our rooms!

The Workman 4 pin coffin style mics are way better than that Palomar. There is no reason to buy noise (audio) cancelling mics if the radio has a mic gain control.

5. space cowboy

space cowboy Quack Quack

Why would you want to reduce your mod in an attempt to reduce background noise?

I run a noise canceling mic with the radio's mic gain wide open and I can drive with the windows down with full mod. If I had to turn down my mic gain I'd be quieter and still have the same relative amount of road noise.

6. psycho

I never heard a noise cancelling mic that provided loud enough audio to interest me.

7. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew Sr. Member

Noise cancelling mics are made for eliminating background noise in your TX when operating from a high noise environment, if background noise isn't a problem you don't need one. If you try to use the mic gain to control noise in something like the cab of an R model Mack the best mic in the world will have less audio than a decent noise canceller.

8. psycho

Disagree 100% from my experience.

9. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

I started using a noise cancelling mic in high school. I drove an older truck with no AC so the windows were always rolled down.

A noise cancelling mic is not some kind of hoax but some work better than others. The new rk56 sucks. Picks up as much background noise as a stock mic and sounds worse.

rabbiporkchop and Robb like this.
  10. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

copper has them on sale 45.00

Robb likes this.
  11. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

You have to be careful with copper. They get you on the shipping sometimes.

12. Robb

Robb Yup

Yup. Just checked. $15 for shipping/USPS priority rate.

13. psycho

Sometimes Copper will also debit your credit card for a product on back order and not tell you.

14. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

When I used them a lot they would still take COD. It's been a while.

15. sonoma

sonoma Sr. Member

no kidding. I wanted just a stock face plate awhile back and they wanted 15.00 to ship it. way to high for some thing you can put in a regular invelope.