• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New President Antennas

Is anybody running a bell's cb radio? I'm sure there are somewhere... That link just points to the site, not a product on the site. Are you sure that isn't supposed to be a bit more specific?

The DB

The link goes to the page that all products are listed on. The President antenna lineup is in the middle. You want me to link all 4 antennas with 4 different links?

I would have... I didn't actually read the title of the thread before coming in here so... Make of that what you will...

Anyway, they will work about like any other antenna with their given lengths. As much as manufacturers will try and tell you otherwise, in a mobile installation an antenna's length is the end all and be all of performance. If you have a shorter antenna that outperforms a longer antenna mounted in the same space, then your longer antenna has a problem that needs to be dealt with.

The New York will be crap. Its simply not long enough to work well. If you just want to talk to someone a few car lengths away it will be fine, but if you want to do that there are cheaper antennas available... The Iowa will work better, but still not great. Its not even four feet long, and generally you will be told to use a five foot minimum antenna. Below this length performance really begins to drop off fast.

The Maryland, being near five feet long, is the shortest of their antennas I would consider, that being said, it is not a 5/8 wavelengths antenna as they claim, it is a 1/4 wavelength antenna like its shorter cousins. This is not the only company that tries to claim a 5/8 wavelength mobile antenna. I'm not sure what bs they will try and use to claim it is a 5/8 wavelength antenna, but to get the actual benefit you see in a 5/8 wavelength antenna it needs to be a physical 5/8 wavelengths long. That is a must. A wire that is 22 feet long (about 5/8 wavelengths) but coiled up into a five foot package does not a 5/8 wavelength antenna make, period, end of story.

The Texas. It will work about like a Sirio 5000, and they claim that it can handle more power. It is near the same length. When it comes to their claimed 7/8 wavelength bs, see my 5/8 rant above. Seriously though, the Sirio 5000 is a known quantity to me, this brand is not. The Sirio also costs about the same...

Two antennas of the four actually look surprisingly close to Sirio's antenna equivalent designs. I wonder if that is just a coincidence... Wait, I don't believe in coincidences...

The DB

It's interesting to see new antennas hitting the market, there must be some consumer demand, unless they were already produced in the UK and they just opened up to the US. I was just curious about them. It's a 10K world for me, unless a Sirio somehow falls onto my car. :)

Reactions: 2RT307
Yep. And from what I have heard they aren't that good. They should just stick with making radios, or at least get s different antenna builder/supplier. Sirio performer 5k, or even the 4K high power or rigid. Even the trucker performer 5k, are most likely a better antenna. That shiny bright chrome plating wouldn't last too long where I am. Salt air would make it rust fast! Stick with your predator 10k antennas. That or a 102" or even a 102" whip and stinger. Physical height of antenna is what really matters. Not BS claims. Like said, a piece of wire coiled up at the bottom of the antenna doesn't make it a real 7/8 wave. That is snake oil. Get a real 1/4 wave 108" whip. That is a true quarter wave. The only antenna that they have that is truly close is the TX antenna. And it's just too shiny for me. These are JMO's, and my own experience with using mobile antennas. Physical length of antenna is what makes it work well. That and a good matching network that doesn't have a lot of loss. I use the Sirio performer and turbo 5k antennas as mobiles and with a stock uniden 980 on top of an E-350 work van, hard mounted with a 3" one hole Breedlove mount just about center, I can talk about 30 miles back to a base with 8-10 watts of pep power. Granted this is not when the DX is pounding us, but nowadays it's not hard to talk locally LOL! At any rate, 30 miles isn't too bad for flat landers. Base is a 3 element beam as well. It's up at 85ft which helps him a bunch even locally. I could hear him out to almost 50 miles, just not enough power to get back. I got to about 35 miles and he lost me completely. At 30 miles he still had good copy on me. Anyways, again, don't fall for the bait they throw out. Fancy words and false statements!! A bunch of BS LOL! And the power ratings, that is funny!! JMHO's about it all!!

Reactions: midnight special
Though the "Iowa" looks intriguing, I doubt I'd run any of them, I've discovered it's necessary to elevate the coil well above the vehicle metal for maximum performance.
I'd take a Wilson Trucker 2000 / 5000 over ANY base loaded antenna, including the Sirio.

Reactions: midnight special
Hard to beat these stainless/copper antennas for a tractor trailer.
20141231_141512_zpshpkmgdsj.jpg
20141231_141523_zpsbcpufvfn.jpg
20150114_093318_zpskf76vikg.jpg
FB_IMG_1450051880981_zps4deq0gob.jpg

Just a shame that in the above two pictures they've not got a groundplane worth a damn. Quite sure it meters great but that meter is DC....
For us "Lorry" drivers and like a lot of other mobile operations too, ground planes aren't always achievable due to limited antenna mounting areas. But it doesn't mean are setups can't be more than adequate for what we are running. :cool:

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Hard to beat these stainless/copper antennas for a tractor trailer.
20150114_093318_zpskf76vikg.jpg
In this pic, Is the horizontal antenna element part of a mobile dipole setup? If so it should be equal lengths to each other and the horizontal has no mast under the coil like the vertical element.

Also I'm curious to know if you ever checked the the impedance at the antenna feed point with a analyzer since you are using two 50 ohm coil matched antennas and probably using 50 ohm coax if the analyzer reading was still 50 ohms. My guess would be a 100 ohm load and a mismatched impedance with 50 ohm coax unless using a 2:1 balun.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated