• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New president lincoln 2

I'm awaiting a reply from a vendor on the Lincoln 2 to see if he's getting any in soon. The guy already has Grant 2's for sale. I wonder if and when info will be supplied about the data port and associated software/hardware.

A little stipulation from the owner's manual in the pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I know there has been discussion about the Grant II vs Lincoln II but it's really comparing two completely different animals.

The main concern we seem to be having on UK forums is the audio of the Lincoln II sounding like it has a warble with strong signals/nearby strong signals on SSB on all the videos on Youtube done by British users such as this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICstO3gT_9c

Is this actually the case?

The main concern we seem to be having on UK forums is the audio of the Lincoln II sounding like it has a warble with strong signals/nearby strong signals on SSB on all the videos on Youtube done by British users such as this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICstO3gT_9c

Is this actually the case?

Well for your information Connor, I use a £400 HD video camera,no trickery with my videos just "Real World" operation.
I find turning the RF Gain back a little with strong stations does help a bit (it was wide open in all my review videos though)

I see on the UK Forums that people have started to show hidden menus.
I found these the day that video was filmed two weeks ago.

I decided NOT to show them, not that I don't wish operators to know the fact, but it's a double edged sword, people with no ability and even less test gear fiddling with things they don't understand.

Hopefully they won't be fiddled with.......or there will be an influx of F@@ked up Lincoln IIs been shipped back to them due to Screwdriver or Menu experts.

Last edited:
God help us. Worst part about service menus is there's no indication they've been screwdrivered other than they don't work.

Brand new from the shop it is then if I want one.

Kinda what I've been reading.

Same league as the CRE and Anytone. No apparent upgrades or fixes of earlier reported issues.

I'd sure stay outta those service menus without a map or clear reset procedure to default.

TURD

Last edited:
Yes, but can you confirm that service menu changes are defaulted by the reset?

In my experience, it doesn't.

I bought a used Yaesu 897d that had the service menu messed with. The results were not pretty. The radio did like 150 watts pep on SSB. The radio was so out of wack due to the previous owner tinkering in the service menu.
I was not happy.

So after seeing the videos on the original Lincoln vs Lincoln II receive I wanted to see if I could reproduce the issue. I had been doing most of my testing in the mobile so far so I hadn't scrutinized the receive to that extent.

Indeed, today during testing when very strong DX signals came in I could tell there was some distortion in clarity until I adjusted the RF gain down slightly. I tried an external speaker (recommended with this radio as well because of the small stock speaker) and the issue does seem to be in the receive section.

It only seemed to be an issue with really strong signals, and I didn't find it as noticeable as it was in the videos online, it isn't a deal breaker but I think this is part of why I thought the receiver on the Grant II was better.

Check out this quick video I shot with my phone receiving some strong stations on 10 meters...maybe slightly noticeable on 10 meters. I think when you put these radios up against the old HR2600, 2510, Lincoln the older radios receive will definitely win but that's been the case for most of the new radios vs those old radios. The Anytone, CRE, and even the 2950 receive doesn't sound as good as my old 2510 did so I'm not super surprised. The receive on my old Madison in fact sounds better than most modern day CB's.

Lincoln II Receive - YouTube

I find it to be unfortunate. I'm also not surprised. I would even wager that the CW buffering issue is still present.

Given the price point of this radio and the obvious lack of warranty support, what clear advantage does this unit have over the CRE and Anytone offerings?

I was told by an importer a couple weeks ago that I wouldn't like/want this radio. Looks like he was right.

I understand the fuzzy feelings and yearnings for a modern President offering. I hope the RF gain pot is heavy duty.

It only seemed to be an issue with really strong signals, and I didn't find it as noticeable as it was in the videos online, it isn't a deal breaker but I think this is part of why I thought the receiver on the Grant II was better.

After listening to them several times I think that the warbling sounds like auroral/multi-path. I've certainly heard it before on my amateur HF gear such as my Kenwood TS590 and we've certainly had some interesting numbers in the Solar Propogation Reports.

I noticed in your video you had the noise blanker and ANL on. I know on my Icom 7000 when I crank up the NB level it distorts the audio.

Think its one of those things where I'm just going to have to play with one in the flesh.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?