• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New President Walker radio

It just ain't gonna happen with the cheaper Ham radios on the market today. By an FT 891 and be done with it!
Smaller, more powerful and more features than any export CB you will ever see. And more expensive too, but not too much. Remote head means it can fit anywhere in your vehicle.
Yeah but most modern hf rigs sound like shit on am. A cobra 19 plus talks better .

Reactions: Mudfoot
One overlooked reason ham HF radios perform poorly in AM transmit has to do with the radio's ALC.

Nearly every CB has a separate circuit to sense your AM modulation level. It limits the audio level alone, without affecting the carrier.

Just about every ham HF transceiver has one limiter circuit only, the ALC used for SSB transmit. It senses the peak RF output level and turns down the entire RF signal chain to keep the radio below the limit.

In AM transmit this causes the carrier to "dive" when your voice peaks reach the RF-power peak limit. It doesn't reduce the mike gain in response to audio peaks. It reduces the transmitter's "RF Gain" instead, carrier and modulation peaks both.

Makes it touchy, and suppressing the carrier globs up the audio quality.

Never have come up with a proper AM-modulation limiter add-on for those radios. Would improve the usability on AM. Wouldn't be as touchy about peak audio level.

The HF transceivers that sound best on AM have a speech processor that remains active when selecting AM, and a "processor level" control you can set just below the radio's ALC trigger point.

One overlooked reason ham HF radios perform poorly in AM transmit has to do with the radio's ALC.

Nearly every CB has a separate circuit to sense your AM modulation level. It limits the audio level alone, without affecting the carrier.

Just about every ham HF transceiver has one limiter circuit only, the ALC used for SSB transmit. It senses the peak RF output level and turns down the entire RF signal chain to keep the radio below the limit.

In AM transmit this causes the carrier to "dive" when your voice peaks reach the RF-power peak limit. It doesn't reduce the mike gain in response to audio peaks. It reduces the transmitter's "RF Gain" instead, carrier and modulation peaks both.

Makes it touchy, and suppressing the carrier globs up the audio quality.

Never have come up with a proper AM-modulation limiter add-on for those radios. Would improve the usability on AM. Wouldn't be as touchy about peak audio level.

The HF transceivers that sound best on AM have a speech processor that remains active when selecting AM, and a "processor level" control you can set just below the radio's ALC trigger point.

That's why the Ts-570 & Ts-480 work well for AM,the processor works in AM mode &
has adjustments for mic gain in and out..
The newer rigs disable the processor in AM

And most every HF transceiver made since 1980 or so.

I guess it depends on your interpretation of "newer".

The ts-570 were made in the late 90's the ts-480 were released in 2003-2004
even the yaesu ft-840 which appeared in the late 80's to early 90's had a functional
processor in am.
ic-718 released in 2000 had one also. probably more models that am not familiar
with also.
excuse me not using caps broke two fingers on my right hand, the one i use for the
shift key.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.