• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Sirio Tornado 27

Ok I went ahead and put it at 34" just to see what happens.

Ch 1 1.4 and Ch 40 1.2 Radio
Ch 1 1.2 and Ch 40 1.9 Workman HP201S

So what do you think?

I think something is wrong with your in line meter. IMO it is not the antenna since you report a similar issue with another antenna...and that is not likely.

Just to be sure, are you re-calibrating your HP201S meter on each reading?

My Eznec model suggest this antenna produces a narrow bandwidth, but I don't believe that is the problem noted here either.

959, if you have to take your antenna down in order to adjust your tip length again, could you measure the length from the very bottom at the base of the mount up to the top of the 5 element telescopic whip below section "L"?

Tell me how long is the mounting area below the radials too.

Thanks,

I think something is wrong with your in line meter. IMO it is not the antenna since you report a similar issue with another antenna...and that is not likely.

Just to be sure, are you re-calibrating your HP201S meter on each reading?

My Eznec model suggest this antenna produces a narrow bandwidth, but I don't believe that is the problem noted here either.

959, if you have to take your antenna down in order to adjust your tip length again, could you measure the length from the very bottom at the base of the mount up to the top of the 5 element telescopic whip below section "L"?

Tell me how long is the mounting area below the radials too.

Thanks,
Yes I will measure it for you if I take it down again. I'm done for now with it set at 35". You can see may last post before yours to see the results. I was re-calibrating for each reading yes.

I have to tend to agree with Marconi here. My tornado was set it and put it up pretty much. Not much playing with it as all that was needed was the top whip adjusted. But every install is different and that is what makes every one a bit different to trouble shoot. Having a good baseline reference to go by is a good thing. If you have a 50ohm dummy load, place it at the end of your coax run where the antenna would connect and see what readings you get. Should be flat on the VSWR. Or 1.0:1. This may help determine if it's truly the antenna and not your meter being the issue. JMHO.

Reactions: Galaxy 959
Here is what my MFJ259 says. I know the ohms isn't right and wont be unless I have a 1/2 wave cut coax. On the SWR if I go up or down from the 11 meter band the SWR just increases. Its 1.4 or less across the whole 11 meter band.

Attachments

• 12552876_725015580931225_3922149124431123559_n.jpg
    12552876_725015580931225_3922149124431123559_n.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 8
Here is what my MFJ259 says. I know the ohms isn't right and wont be unless I have a 1/2 wave cut coax. On the SWR if I go up or down from the 11 meter band the SWR just increases. Its 1.4 or less across the whole 11 meter band.

959, is the tip section still set at 35" inches?

Reactions: 222DBFL
Maybe your antenna is too close to the house, being so low if it is mounted like the image you posted in the beginning of the thread. Is you siding metal?
Vinyl siding. Metal roof. Maybe my coax ends are not done properly. I stripped and folded ground back and screwed 259 down on the ground and cover. Just soldered center pin.

Vinyl siding. Metal roof. Maybe my coax ends are not done properly. I stripped and folded ground back and screwed 259 down on the ground and cover. Just soldered center pin.

The metal roof could be the issue and if the house uses metal studs that could also be a problem being so close. The other antenna looks further away...how does it seem to match?

I've used the same idea for installing connectors for years and never had a problem except maybe wear due to wind. I have my connectors installed using a crimping device and I've never had problem there either. Soldering may be best, but it also is problematic concerning the dielectric problems with heat. The center pin needs soldering.

959, I know a lot of post have been made in your thread so far. I believe you are good to go...working your new antenna and your match is about as good as I see here with my Eznec model. That is never a true comparison, but that is all I can do in this case. I think a few others have reported similar matching results with their T27, so you should feel it OK to work the antenna and it working about as good as possible.

Do you think you understand why maybe both your antennas required unusual settings in order to get a good match at your location?

How is you antenna working, and how does it compare to your A99 in performance and noise?

Good luck, and keep us posted.

959, I know a lot of post have been made in your thread so far. I believe you are good to go...working your new antenna and your match is about as good as I see here with my Eznec model. That is never a true comparison, but that is all I can do in this case. I think a few others have reported similar matching results with their T27, so you should feel it OK to work the antenna and it working about as good as possible.

Do you think you understand why maybe both your antennas required unusual settings in order to get a good match at your location?

How is you antenna working, and how does it compare to your A99 in performance and noise?

Good luck, and keep us posted.
I'm really not sure why about the unusual settings unless it needs to be above the trees. The one is real close. Limbs almost touch the radial. But my antron had no ground plain.
The tornado works awesome. Better than my antron and hardly any noise.

959, you might try an added coax jumper and see if the VSWR changes. This might work to help with the VSWR issues you think you have. If you feel as if you are good then leave it be, if you feel like experimenting, try adding a 3,6 and even a 9ft jumper to see what difference it makes in your VSWR readings. You might be suprised at what you see.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio