• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Sirio Vector 4000 on the Tower.

Alexis

when grounding & un-grounding the antenna changes vswr it indicates you have common mode current flowing on that wire & radiating, either when its connected or when its disconnected,

my money would be on you have increased cmc on the wire when you connect it because 20ft is closer to an electrical 1/2wave than it is odd 1/4wave multiples (3/4wave)

if it was closer to 3/4wave i would have said the opposite, disconnecting it from the ground rod would cause an increase in cmc,

electrical 1/2waves of any conductor such as the mast, outside surface of coax braid & ground wires that are connected to ground at one end & the antenna radial coax junction at the upper end, have a low common mode impedance,

that promotes high current & unwanted radiation,
most of the difference people see in signal when comparing vertical antennas at the same tip height is due to this unwanted radiation not the antenna istself.

when you can't adjust vswr very low by pulling the gamma rod & radiator length you have to adjust the gamma strap/dogbone up or down a little & readjust the other two again.

good luck,

I miss being able to put my antenna up in a tree. 25 years ago I lived on a hill and had huge cedar and evergreen trees all around and I pushed a A99 on a pole out the top of a 80' tree and I could cover crazy distance in all directions with 4 watts. People thought I had a huge amplifier :)

10 years ago I lived on another hill with big trees and put a dipole up 60 feet up between two trees and again just put out a great signal.

Now, no more hill and no trees. Have to rely on watts.

IMG_20211209_193310928.jpg

The vector is up 20ft on a pushup pole. Finally got moved and settled in Huntsville. Now time to plan for a tower!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.