• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Uniden 980's on sale

The cobra 29 is the one to have for what I wanted out of a mobile radio. For AM only I will still take one of my old 29s over most anything else on the cb/export market. I was curious about the 980 and bought one. It's a nice rig. Great on ssb but just ok on AM.

Understood. But the days of AM-only are over.

Last edited:
Reactions: KD2GOE
Woke up today and ordered one. Too good to pass by. May order a couple more if supply holds out till I’m ready. The basic (backup) radio for big truck, pickup and travel trailer. I can think of three more such uses without trying. Wouldn’t bug me I’d spent $600 for six radios.

As America has a few million working CBs, it’s the default radio these days. Conservatively, it’s better than 97% of those.

Wonder how many bricks of .22-LR a NOS 980 in an Apache 3800 case would bring should the hammer come down, hmmm? A general purpose antenna pair (mobile & fixed) would be the icing (in their own carrier). Let’s bump the offer to 7.62x51.

Better yet . . Xmas is coming.

And, thanks for the thread, Mudfoot. The girl at customer service was sure you had enough points to cover shipping to Texas for me (Ha!).

I bought one, and yes it was brand new.

It went right back to Amazon because the radio is useless for daylight mobile use. The freaking screen is not legible. Tried setting day and night mode all the way up to 15 contrast and 15 brightness, and that did not do a thing for daylight mobile use.

All the reviews about bad screens are real!

It went right back to Amazon because the radio is useless for daylight mobile use. The freaking screen is not legible. Tried setting day and night mode all the way up to 15 contrast and 15 brightness, and that did not do a thing for daylight mobile use.

As well, readability while driving in daylight hours was my biggest issue. The McKinley and / or Grant II Premium seem better (in that order).

I forgot about the non-working adjustable RF gain. On the older 980SSB, the RF gain was adjustable, but the latest ones the RF gain adjust is simply a DX local on and off. There are no adjustment levels.

Reactions: Slowmover
I forgot about the non-working adjustable RF gain. On the older 980SSB, the RF gain was adjustable, but the latest ones the RF gain adjust is simply a DX local on and off. There are no adjustment levels.

I don't use the rf gain much, if any, however it does allow some adjustment where you can set the level you want to switch to and toggle back and forth between it and I'm fine with that.

Reactions: snippits75
Yes that's a very good price.

Don't get me wrong. It's a nice radio except for the screen...it's a deal killer for me. I can get use to the cheap plastic knobs. The noise blanker works great. Transmit and receive worked fine too. I thought the microphone was pretty good too.

I agree with your comment relating to the screen being difficult to see. There aren't too many options where to install a CB in a new F-350 with bucket seats and a center console. I attached my 980 to the driver's side on the side of the console with Velcro and my knee blocks the speaker. At first, I attached the radio where the face was parallel to the top of the cup holder and I could not read the screen during the day or night. I tilted the radio at about a thirty-five degree angle and now I can read the screen. Green seems to be best color for me to select. Now I have to find a location for an external speaker.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.