• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Uniden 980's on sale

I forgot about the non-working adjustable RF gain. On the older 980SSB, the RF gain was adjustable, but the latest ones the RF gain adjust is simply a DX local on and off. There are no adjustment levels.
Keeping the RF Gain button depressed and depress the mic button will increase or decrease the bars. (If you can read the screen...ha! ha! )

Y’all got me worried so I opened and installed the $99 980 in the Peterbilt 579 factory location. Only difference is in the coax run thru the cab.

I can’t tell any difference on the screen brightness from the 880 and the 885. As it’s overhead, thus shaded, it’s ideal.

Have the SE GoldenRod 45 up, and the ANL seems to cut the worst noise so that Squelch can be backed out with Gain maxed.

Have to make a new power line (from a pair of binding posts out) to include the DSP Speaker and RM amp.

Only detectable noise is thru coax (expected). Grateful nothing seems to be coming thru the factory power.

Going to run ABQ to AMA pretty soon. Usually not much traffic on 19 until I hit the farming areas in the Texas Panhandle 220-miles ahead on IH40.

Will stop 560-miles ahead in OKC. Always a good crowd there. If I get amp & spkr working, I can try antenna/mike swaps/gain, etc, with them.

Tomorrow I’ll be down to the rural part of SE OK I’ve mentioned is awesome after dark. But I’ll be there too early for that.

Instead I’ll place & remove ferrites/filter in coax to see if any improvement for this setup. Daytime, then again at night.

I agree with your comment relating to the screen being difficult to see. There aren't too many options where to install a CB in a new F-350 with bucket seats and a center console. I attached my 980 to the driver's side on the side of the console with Velcro and my knee blocks the speaker. At first, I attached the radio where the face was parallel to the top of the cup holder and I could not read the screen during the day or night. I tilted the radio at about a thirty-five degree angle and now I can read the screen. Green seems to be best color for me to select. Now I have to find a location for an external speaker.

Daylight Green
Nighttime Amber

Didn’t work for me. Can’t believe there’s not a work-around. Read the manual, but it’s not there..

Did not work on the one I got either. It seems the latest RF gain adjust work like a basic two way local and DX button switch. Pretty sure after reading over the questions and answers the RF gain adjust has been changed.

I’m waiting in Armadillo for someone to find a pickup number. (Hell, it’s trash: compressed bales of cardboard).

980 sounds okay. The Signal Engineering GR-45 seems to maximize the transmission.

SWR is 1.10 on 40
and 1.10 on 1.
1.00 on 20.

Separate meter showed fine on 20.

ANL “on”
Squelch above half

I picked up a couple of O/O s behind me 3-4/miles and they passed getting out ahead as far. Seemed to be good
(Road tractor pulling 53’ van; antenna on back of sleeper; gets 6” above tractor and a few less above trailer). This was at state line.

Radio shows signal strongly compared to “weak” sounding transmission.

I expect the WM Radio ClearSpeaker to work it’s usual magic.

The same day delivery showed up right after I pulled in the driveway after work. But I was not expecting some random car to be the delivery. It was a Dodge magnum with the windows blacked out so I was a little concerned until I realized what they were up to. There were at least 3 people in the car as far as I could tell......

Anyway I hooked it up and checked it out. It does appear to be new and not refurb and I am satisfied with the new condition. I put it on the scope and it does about 70% modulation and the dead key is about 2.5w swinging to about 15w pep on my Autek meter. This is just with an unscientific "AAAAAAAUDIOOOOO" into the mic. So the power meter says it is over 100% but the scope says no. Not sure what to make of it.

The stock mic doesn't sound bad listening on my 148GTL monitor radio with headphones. The D104M6B really makes it kick and sounds a little better too. I have not played with the mic gain setting yet. And it does come with the 4 to 6 pin adapter which saves me from having to rig something up.

The RF gain is two modes: regular and local. To set the local level you have to hold the button for a few seconds to put it into the adjustment mode.

And somebody please tell me how to turn that infernal key beep off.....

Reactions: Slowmover
No kidding. Someone was playing music on 38lsb yesterday. Every time I tune in to that frequency some fruit loop is showing his ass or the band is closed.

It is the Children's Band of course the Children are being Children.It will never change because there is another Moron born every minute & a few will always find a CB & think it's a Toy & be the next Child on the air.

SIX-SHOOTER.

I’m waiting in Armadillo for someone to find a pickup number. (Hell, it’s trash: compressed bales of cardboard).

980 sounds okay. The Signal Engineering GR-45 seems to maximize the transmission.

SWR is 1.10 on 40
and 1.10 on 1.
1.00 on 20.

Separate meter showed fine on 20.

ANL “on”
Squelch above half

I picked up a couple of O/O s behind me 3-4/miles and they passed getting out ahead as far. Seemed to be good
(Road tractor pulling 53’ van; antenna on back of sleeper; gets 6” above tractor and a few less above trailer). This was at state line.

ClearSpeech DSP Speakers & DSP Modules ar rhe BOMB for any receiver.I use them on every single radio I use that has AM or SSB because they make any of them better including my ICOM 7600 that was $3000 New.

SIX-SHOOTER
Radio shows signal strongly compared to “weak” sounding transmission.

I expect the WM Radio ClearSpeaker to work it’s usual magic.

I have the Original 980SSB & love it.I don't need another one or another CB since I already own about 160 of them or more.Only thing mine needs is the drive you Crazy beep thing disabled & it requires pulling the cover & clipping an unneeded part in the Original unlike the new model.I use an Astatic power microphone & it sounds great & the receiver is great as well.1st thing I did when I got mine home(Used) was figure out how to turn the Useless & Stupid Echo Crap talkback OFF.It's one of the best mobile CB's I have ever owned or used & the list is very very long.I see no issues with the display & it's my personal choice for a mobile CB hands down while my Cobra 148 GTL's sit on the shelf & Yes they are all side microphone models.Along with the ClearSpeech DSP speaker it's a great combination into my 102" stainless steel whip with No Spring & No Riser & the SWR is AWESOME. :barefoot:(y)

SIX-SHOOTER

Some morons skip the cb completely and get a callsign.

At least on amateur radio you can find a frequency without a bunch of people acting like a bunch of morons but it is very difficult on 40 channels on the CB to do the same.No matter what channel you go to on the CB you will hear noise toys radios playing people singing people screaming and acting like they should be in the zoo as an exhibit not as a visitor. I often ask myself why I still talk on the CB at all because it is beyond ever recovering and becoming anything close to normal. I hear a few places on amateur radio like that but there are very few when you compare head-to-head between amateur radio and CD radio it is no comparison CB radio is a zoo.

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.