• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Uniden 980's on sale

At least on amateur radio you can find a frequency without a bunch of people acting like a bunch of morons but it is very difficult on 40 channels on the CB to do the same.No matter what channel you go to on the CB you will hear noise toys radios playing people singing people screaming and acting like they should be in the zoo as an exhibit not as a visitor. I often ask myself why I still talk on the CB at all because it is beyond ever recovering and becoming anything close to normal. I hear a few places on amateur radio like that but there are very few when you compare head-to-head between amateur radio and CD radio it is no comparison CB radio is a zoo.

SIX-SHOOTER

I understand where your coming from. My local cb group isn't too bad but there are troublemakers. Most of them are decent people that you can have a good qso with. Half of them are hams that got a bad impression of amateur radio from the local repeaters.

My receive range isn't all that great [yet] with the 980 in the factory location and factory mount as above (the “big” pair of radios continues as a project), but on the Plains — for the most part - it’s either businesslike or friendly.

Hours of ordinary chatter. And some decent stories on hunting.

Which makes me wonder why many of you want to live in places too crowded for rats. As with lab experiments, they turn into homos and eat their children. Cockroaches and other vermin increasing daily.

Don’t ignore the warning sign. The grid goes down and all those peckerheads are the in-your-face reality of where you live.

Go down to the drivers license office. Spend a few hours. Take a count. Of the hundreds, maybe (what?) one or two you’d pass the time of day with will come in.

Whole states this way now. Both Carolinas, for example. They’ve adapted the baby daddy attitudes of the invading army. I don’t care how expensive their pickup or what monopoly company they work for. What branch of the service. Divorce is about the same as never have been married.

The way they drive — alone — tells me the selfishness & stupidity of a life in front of a TV has ruined them. The ones on the radio are just a fringe.

Co-operation isn’t considered. Yet it’s a requirement on the highway. I see it a few times in a 10,000-mile month. I hope you’ll think on that.

There’s an Enemy,
and he’s laughing.

They jus don't realize ...."Ye, who hath the largest wheels, wins".

I agree Slow, the d attitude of drivers. No patients, no respect...pass you on the rt hand side before you can get over to the rt, and cut in front of you only to slam the damned breaks on. Uh, duh! That's why the big truck was slower.....obviously, there was another vehicle in front.

Nothing like a broken air line ignored by the last driver or three to pull this trailer. Attached paperwork in a Wally bag to the primary? Four times. Yank it loose (Duh!).
That’s 2 trailers out of 3 this week.

So, since I don’t have to be in Del Rio till late Monday, I took the time to make a new power cord.

— With a stock-type soldered end 3-prong, made a double junction to install amp power and speaker power. Each end (4) has a quick disconnect.

— Added a WORKMAN 28A Coax Static Drain just behind the radio, and cut a terminal to fit the Neg binding post.

— Used scrap split loom to encase the GPS truck locator wiring.

— Added a BHI Groundbreaker to the WM Speaker. This killed mike pop and made volume control easier.

The project has taken far longer than I’d like to admit. I’m slow. But this was glacial. Ha!

OTOH, with ANL “on”, RF Gain wide open, Squelch killed and with Spkr Filter at about 11:00 (normal),

everyone in Armadillo running along IH40 or talking some trash at the truckstops is sitting here next to me.

Radio silence between transmissions.

Haven’t gotten to the antenna yet.

Last edited:
8BF622AA-C1B3-46C9-895C-1AA64461E51C.jpeg CA205D5C-392E-4A07-8DCA-67715D74CAC4.jpeg

Happy enough with this get-down-the-road-install in the 579.

Speaker above left ear is gold. Can’t recommend that highly enough. ALWAYS worth any trouble taken in a mobile.

Note to Self: Whenever at a Texas Panhandle truckstop . . there will be cattle trucks. Other passengers include flies that make the lazy ones in Florida look like they don’t move. Close the windows!!

Last edited:
The Signal Engineering GR-45 antenna I bought back about 1998 is currently on a spring. Waggles even at rest. So I paid the truckstop price for a 5” Wilson SS Antenna Shaft to replace it.

As in another thread, no, at nearly 14’ high it may not survive. I’ll write up a whopper of a story and print that on a museum display card for Undertakers museum if that happens.

I’ll do some of my own waggling with the antenna ears (cap hat) while its down. See if I can’t get a match on 1 & 40. (Already decent; below 2.0).

I need to do a little coax re-routing, and — for AM purposes (USB & LSB tests to come) — the STOCK LOCATION whups any fine tune radio will be done.

The $99 radio, it’s a killer!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard U812
I forgot about the non-working adjustable RF gain. On the older 980SSB, the RF gain was adjustable, but the latest ones the RF gain adjust is simply a DX local on and off. There are no adjustment levels.
My error! You are correct! I was thinking about adjusting the Mic Gain and not the RF gain.

Reactions: Slowmover
My error! You are correct! I was thinking about adjusting the Mic Gain and not the RF gain.

I look forward to testing the Local/Distant RF Gain. Hit a metro area and see if it cuts off too much distance (so to speak).

Things can get right weird with two or three Interstates with close junctions. San Antonio, for instance. IH35, 37 & 10.

Someone gets to hollering BRAKE CHECK you want to know, where?!

Reactions: Woody-202
View attachment 31925 View attachment 31926

Happy enough with this get-down-the-road-install in the 579.

Speaker above left ear is gold. Can’t recommend that highly enough. ALWAYS worth any trouble taken in a mobile.

Note to Self: Whenever at a Texas Panhandle truckstop . . there will be cattle trucks. Other passengers include flies that make the lazy ones in Florida look like they don’t move. Close the windows!!

Your setup looks great!

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.