• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base New V4K vs Conventional J-Pole

Marconi

Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.
Oct 23, 2005
Houston
1. New Vector 4K

2. My idea for a conventional J-Pole

Bob, the question has been asked...what would the New Vector 4K look like if we could see more of the model using CST.

Here is what I find using Eznec to compare these two antennas.

IMO, this similarity noted may well account for the simple reason why Sirio describes their NV4K as a coaxial J-Pole.

Other than a little skewing due to the design with the J-Pole, do you see the similarities?

Attachments

• NV4K vs. J-Pole.pdf
    948.9 KB · Views: 22

very similar,
a j-pole has most gain in the direction of the short leg due to unbalance at the top of the stub causing some in phase radiation from the short leg as seen in your model,

in this model the vector has about the same gain in all directions.

Reactions: Marconi
very similar,
a j-pole has most gain in the direction of the short leg due to unbalance at the top of the stub causing some in phase radiation from the short leg as seen in your model,

in this model the vector has about the same gain in all directions.

The V4K is more symmetrical, and that is good.

NV4K wTHwGamma wnMwlSO 36'xxx
Slice Max Gain Beam width 4.39 dBi @ Elev Angle = 172.0 deg. (???)

J-Pole ,50w w/Choke mount 36'
Slice Max Gain 4.45 dBi @
Elev Angle = 8.0 deg.

Why does this model show huge angle differential...Seems strange???
Couple the other models have strange elevation slices similar.
172 degs would have most radiation where?

Does this effect occur due to feedpoint location?
Any explanation?
Thanks
Gary

The plot is 0 degrees on the right through to 180 degrees on the left so 172 is the same as 8 degrees in the opposite direction, 172+8 = 180,

vectors don't have the lob sided pattern that gets more lob sided the wider the stub is spaced like j-poles.

NV4K wTHwGamma wnMwlSO 36'xxx
Slice Max Gain Beam width 4.39 dBi @ Elev Angle = 172.0 deg. (???)

J-Pole ,50w w/Choke mount 36'
Slice Max Gain 4.45 dBi @ Elev Angle = 8.0 deg.

Why does this model show huge angle differential...Seems strange???
Couple the other models have strange elevation slices similar.
172 degs would have most radiation where?
Does this effect occur due to feedpoint location?
Any explanation?
Thanks
Gary

Hey Bub. The pattern gain report basically shows the wire images generated in three dimensions, height, width, depth and it is the default look for the antenna pattern generated. Other views are available, but I stick this the ARRL Type default.

It is as as though we are standing on the ground looking at side of the antenna.

The geometry of the physical wires design (dimensions) determines the relative strength for radiation internal to Eznec...using the NEC engine. The math is Vector analysis and is a basic, point in time display of the currents and voltages as plotted, from the feed point source for one cycle. Thus we hear this described as Methods of Moments Modeling.

I refer to the difference we see in the J-Pole pattern as skewing of the short side open to the air stub that is working the RF generated against the radiator and this creates an imbalance of sorts.

If I were to re-orient the wire dimensions input to the spread sheet just 25* degrees in a circle or arc...the pattern would change its look by a modest amount...and you would see another side of the results and some peak or null would look a bit different.

I could also call this perspective too.

Bob explains the difference correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: bob85
Eddie
can you add 4 radials to the vector model above ?, W8JI & Henry HPSD have said it benefits from radials.

Bob,
1. here is the NV4K in Free Space showing a perfect AG Test = 1.

2. here is my model of the NV4K with and without 4 x 109" radials just below the feed point.

3. I added overlays for each model to compare gain and angle.

I do not see any advantage in adding radials.

Attachments

• NV4K vs, NV4K with 4 x 109'' horizontal radials.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • New Vector 4K model xxx.pdf
    364.9 KB · Views: 9
Bob,
1. here is the NV4K in Free Space showing a perfect AG Test = 1.

2. here is my model of the NV4K with and without 4 x 109" radials just below the feed point.

3. I added overlays for each model to compare gain and angle.

I do not see any advantage in adding radials.
That's exactly what I found in field tests with the FM version of this antenna. Adding the radials causes a slight decrease in gain on the horizon. This antenna does not like horizontal metal directly under it and performance is horrible when mounted directly over a metal roof. This pushes more energy upwards in the higher lobes.

Reactions: HomerBB and Marconi
i agree Donald with what you found in your testing. If I had added an overlay of these two antenna...we could have seen these pattern compared and pushing the high angle lobes up even higher...just like you describe.

Below are the overlays of my models of the Vector with and without radials below at 16.5" and 3" inches below the feed point.

Again you can see in these patterns what Shockwave describes, the radials push the maximum gain up high, and the lobe near the horizon shows less gain as a result.

Bob, I think I've posted this before, back in the days when Henry said radials might benefit the S4/NV4K.

W8JI & Henry HPSD have said it benefits from radials.

Bob, I know that Henry said the Sigma 4 with radials might benefit from the their use, but W8JI? I would be surprise.

Attachments

• Vector 4K with and without radials..pdf
    936.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Eddie,
its in the discussion on eham that bootymonster started years back when he made his homebrew vector 4000, https://www.eham.net/forum/view?id=topic,75921.0.html

W8JI said

"When the mast and feedline is included in the model, the "Dominator" falls apart. The exception to this is if we add a groundplane at the junction of the cone and the mast and coax. Many antennas get modeled without proper representation of feedlines"

Eddie
can you add 4 radials to the vector model above ?, W8JI & Henry HPSD have said it benefits from radials.

Eddie,
its in the discussion on eham that bootymonster started years back when he made his homebrew vector 4000, https://www.eham.net/forum/view?id=topic,75921.0.html

W8JI said

"When the mast and feedline is included in the model, the "Dominator" falls apart. The exception to this is if we add a groundplane at the junction of the cone and the mast and coax. Many antennas get modeled without proper representation of feedlines"

Bob, is the above quote suggesting that W8JI was talking about Donald's Dominator?

I agree, a model without a feed line can be a bit misleading if the results are altered. Truth is, we see models like this all the time on the Internet and this forum.

Adding a feed line is rare, but sometimes in my models I see very little difference on adding the line to the model. IMO, that is the way it should be but I can't predict it.

To me this issue, without a feed line, becomes important when a model shows CMC that are bad enough to alter the pattern and gain. Then it becomes necessary to mitigate the CMC somehow.

Bob, when I re-read some o BM thread on eham, I happen to agree with most of what I read and can remember that Dale said. Some of his comments I've agreed with for along time.

I don't see where Henry made and exception to what I remembered about his model of the Vector with radials. He talked about radials right at the feed point. My models were at 14.5" below and another at 3" inches below. There I saw the 3" idea produce different results, but I don't remember the details. He also set the feed point at the bottom, rather than using the gamma match. He did not explain why, and I don't see where he talked about the feed line making some difference either. So, I still am missing the point you're making.

It is not you Bob...I still have a problem with side effects of Covid19, and I fear worse may come. Sometimes I can't work. So, consider that if I say something out-of-line, OK.

Last edited:
yes w8ji said Dominator, the discussion is about that style antenna in general,
booty's homebrew vector & sigma4.

I think the idea is to get the pattern compression that Barkley talks about with the 3/4wave sleeve monopole you need a groundplane,
i don't know if that's true or not

Last edited:
yes w8ji said Dominator, the discussion is about that style antenna in general,
booty's homebrew vector & sigma4.

If it matters, I can remember asking BM about his dimensions and he would not comment. He might have talked about the Dominator on eHam and that is why W8JI might have mentioned Donald's commercial antenna. I did not see the post that W8Ji made where he talked about the Dominator, because the thread is pretty long.

Bob, do you have a link or a post# on that eHam site where W8JI posted?

BM talked a lot about Shockwave's antenna, and I figured he might have made his Vector length 0.82% wavelength. Maybe that is why he never answered my questions that I ask him like, "...how is antenna was working out as to performance.

To be honest I don't remember why I made several models of my Sigma 4 with various radiator leghts at, 325",333",355",379.6". I
haven't posted them, because I'm not sure they are worth posting and what is see it the same'O same'O as I've been posting.

That said however, I did find out what I could do to get a match, as I made the radiator length longer. At some point I had to make the gamma as long as 66" long with the longer radiators models.

I discovered that process while making the simulated gamma (SG) models. This is a pretty simple process, where I look for a point on the radiator some where, that I can place the feed point that is close to a 50 ohm match.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.