• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie Here w/Some DX Questions....

I been looking at a Dr Dipole $ 21 on eBay they say its great for DX . The ham guys been using these for years , all you need is a couple of trees an living in Vermont you should have that covered . They have another one on eBay to $ 10 probably does the same thing .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

You confirm my gut feeling about the 1/4 wave setup. From what I've read, I think it is transmitting more on a figure 8 sort of pattern right now because of the 2 missing wires.

I'm gonna look into the dipole you suggested. I've read a bit about those and they are cheap enough to try. Thanks!

I'm actually @ 6 miles from the Plainfield Ct line so I'm all of that without knowing what town you in I had a place in Ludlow years ago , but I go by RI 1183 on ssb an 357 magnum on am when I'm shooting DX . I can't say I have ever talked to Vermont .

Mother nature controls everything all you can do is be ready when its your turn. Have the radio and antenna set-up the best you can and keep trying and the contacts will come. If you get board with that then look to study for a ham ticket and you can talk all over the world almost any time.

I'm actually @ 6 miles from the Plainfield Ct line so I'm all of that without knowing what town you in I had a place in Ludlow years ago , but I go by RI 1183 on ssb an 357 magnum on am when I'm shooting DX . I can't say I have ever talked to Vermont .

I was originally from the northwest part of CT. Ludlow is about 1/2 hour northeast of me.

You're probably better off not talking to VT. LOL Straaange place! <can not stand it>
I'll listen for ya!
Rooster 974

And make sure your rig is transmitting on frequency. SSB'ers are a snobby bunch, and expect to not have to touch their clarifiers in order to talk to somebody. :blink: Even though that's why SSB rigs have clarifiers.

RT307

And make sure your rig is transmitting on frequency. SSB'ers are a snobby bunch, and expect to not have to touch their clarifiers in order to talk to somebody. :blink: Even though that's why SSB rigs have clarifiers.

RT307

I should fit right in then!:drool:

RT307
This wouldn't be true if the FCC wasn’t stupid and mandate locked clarifier. It is a pain in the arse when talking to several people on SSB and each one is slightly off. It happens on the ham bands just not as much.

Reactions: 1 person
I think tuning people in on SSB is part of the fun. I enjoy that aspect of ssb, you gotta work for the best reception. I call out CQ and turn my clarifier ever so slightly after a few calls when i'm not getting a response.. that way I am covering all the frequencies just in case i'm off a little.
I hear double sided conversations all the time, hasn't made any difference for me, they still can't hear me. I've even tried saying i was from exotic locations trying to pique someones interest enough to call back to me, but that hasn't worked either :p

Something I have noticed is that nearly everyone i hear on ssb talks about running power, even if its just a couple hundred watts. We are going up against these guys on crowded channels like 38 running only 12watts, so that's something to consider.

A simple dipole can give you as much as 8dBi gain in 2 directions if you can get it up high enough.

RT307

If its their frequency and you are calling them, the onus is on you to make sure you're on their frequency.

Nd88 is your clarifier unlocked ? If it is an you keep moving around they might not here you because your changing frequency . I don't know what you have just a thought , not trying to be a know it all .

An I talked to England 3 days ago on just 12 watts so you don't need power all the time . The reason I know this is during my QSO I looked down an realized I forgot to turn my amp on . Lol

Nd88 is your clarifier unlocked ? If it is an you keep moving around they might not here you because your changing frequency . I don't know what you have just a thought , not trying to be a know it all .

No it's just stock, galaxy 959.
I actually was heard today, check out my thread Requirements for DX and check out the story.
No need to apologize, i appreciate all the help I can get, brother.

I think tuning people in on SSB is part of the fun. I enjoy that aspect of ssb, you gotta work for the best reception. I call out CQ and turn my clarifier ever so slightly after a few calls when i'm not getting a response.. that way I am covering all the frequencies just in case i'm off a little.
I hear double sided conversations all the time, hasn't made any difference for me, they still can't hear me. I've even tried saying i was from exotic locations trying to pique someones interest enough to call back to me, but that hasn't worked either :p

Something I have noticed is that nearly everyone i hear on ssb talks about running power, even if its just a couple hundred watts. We are going up against these guys on crowded channels like 38 running only 12watts, so that's something to consider.
\

Last paragraph; I'm getting that impression as well. 12 watts looks to be a royal crap shoot! I know it can be done but I highly doubt it's the norm. I was listening to skip coming in from Germany, UK and the Netherlands this morning and it sounded like they were right next door. Incredible!

Being in Vermont you have to compete with those big stations coming out of Canada I hear them talking to them daily an most of the Canadian stations are hard for me to get to for some reason .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.