• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Next Radio

Im not sure where to go next.. im looking for a ssb capable radio to use in my first base station but im not sure which.

Its gotta be rock solid on ssb and decent on AM. im tired of the drift issues that i have with my 959. Looking to upgrade... some ive been considering... the Uniden PC122XL. I love the looks of this little guy.
RCI 2950... id have to save some cash before getting one, but i like the idea of getting it new and having a warranty, a lottle extra power, and being able to listen on 10m if i wanted to. There are no CB techs in my area so id like to get something thats not going to need work, i want to plug and play right away.

What other radios should i consider? Looking to keep ot under $300.
yes a 959 is a real turd im sending one back to lescomm that i had to wait forever to get then it was crap when i got it. i myself prefer older Philippines made cobras hard to beat but getting hard to find and old, some guys say the optima 5k3 says its awesome and stable on ssb but not loud on am? so thats a good question.

Reactions: 357magnum
The 2950 is such a time proven rig that it's hard to not give it a look. It will sound great on SSB and AM, and if you get your tech ticket, you'll also hear and talk to a bunch of them on 10 meters.

Brett

Reactions: wheelman918
Never had a DX-959 but had a DX-979 that was perfect but still olny had 40 chanels.. Can't beat a good cobra 148 gtl bought a clean Philli 1990's radio paid 175.00 on ebay taking a chance and it's like new with the box and works like the one I had back then.. I liked it so much I took another chance and got lucky on a Uniden washington for 125.00 on ebay.. Another great buy. you can't beat a good clasic radio if you get the right one...The Uniden still had plastic to peal off the face. I have had 2 2950's loved them both and talked around the world with both..I think I got bored and they were not pleasnt on the ears... My newest radio the Alinco DX-10 Is also nice with all possible options....With the stock mic I am told that by some of the locals This is the best they have herd me yet. some very impressed. I ordered a road devil mic to see if I like it better but I think this is one radio that Stock needs no improvement...for the price I would find it hard to beat if you are looking for and export 10-11 meter that does it all.

Reactions: BBB and wheelman918
Never had a DX-959 but had a DX-979 that was perfect but still olny had 40 chanels.. Can't beat a good cobra 148 gtl bought a clean Philli 1990's radio paid 175.00 on ebay taking a chance and it's like new with the box and works like the one I had back then.. I liked it so much I took another chance and got lucky on a Uniden washington for 125.00 on ebay.. Another great buy. you can't beat a good clasic radio if you get the right one...The Uniden still had plastic to peal off the face. I have had 2 2950's loved them both and talked around the world with both..I think I got bored and they were not pleasnt on the ears... My newest radio the Alinco DX-10 Is also nice with all possible options....With the stock mic I am told that by some of the locals This is the best they have herd me yet. some very impressed. I ordered a road devil mic to see if I like it better but I think this is one radio that Stock needs no improvement...for the price I would find it hard to beat if you are looking for and export 10-11 meter that does it all.
cobra 148s rock they will receive way better than a galaxy i have a 148f gtl id never part with

Alright so ive pretty much decided to go with the MK3, literally havent read one bad thing about it. If i can get one ready to go on 11 meters ill be ready to buy after the holidays.

Alright so ive pretty much decided to go with the MK3, literally havent read one bad thing about it. If i can get one ready to go on 11 meters ill be ready to buy after the holidays.
dudes on here told me about them looked good to me i dont want to screw up my cobra in my wheeling toy truck give it shaking baby syndrome ive shook the guts out of a pile of galaxys my cobra about 14yrs ago i rolled a k-5 blazer rig i had and it survived was built for me in 1993 and it hasnt or does it no even need alignment or anything a friend of mine custom built that thing he died 11 yrs ago so i want to keep it safe nowdays and we are doing death valley next nov i want a good radio way out like that. im sure 4g lte isnt happening out there lol

Reactions: Oatmeal
Yeah i pretty much just cant wait any longer to get a nice radio, ill ne ordering the yeticom Optima Mk3 unless someone can convince me otherwise. Seems to be the best in this price range

That or get one off eBay. The Yeticomm one will come with a better mic. I wanna say they are right at $300 shipped from NZ. I looked on eBay as well, type in optima mk3, the seller is cold front sales, $259 shipped, which is a good deal IMO. Radio should be opened up already to freeband mode, cont. vfo coverage from 24.500mhz to 29.999mhz. Also there is one for sale here on the forum. Let me look again and I will tell you who has it or if it's still available.

mroneeyedboh has the optima for sale, go back to last Wednesday. He has the whole package 918! Icom hm-36 mic (the real one), a clone icom mic, ext. Speaker, and it was tuned by DTB radio. This would be the way to go IMO as all the extras are already there. Good luck and hope you get one. I don't think you will be disappointed. But remember, the optima mk3 is made more for SSB use and not AM. Not sayin it sounds bad on AM, just doesn't have the power on AM like SSB. Only time I use AM is to ask about traffic, and no one has ever come back with a "hey that radio sounds bad" report. Just a heads up on this. Now on SSB, 50-60 watts us what they will do. Plenty of power for dxing with the dipole setup you have!!

Reactions: wheelman918
That or get one off eBay. The Yeticomm one will come with a better mic. I wanna say they are right at $300 shipped from NZ. I looked on eBay as well, type in optima mk3, the seller is cold front sales, $259 shipped, which is a good deal IMO. Radio should be opened up already to freeband mode, cont. vfo coverage from 24.500mhz to 29.999mhz. Also there is one for sale here on the forum. Let me look again and I will tell you who has it or if it's still available.

I messaged coldfrontsales about that radio and he said ot has the new mic but it only works on 10 and 12 meters... i sent yeticom an email last night asking if i could get one ready to go for 11 meters, said shipping was like $65! Forget that. Thatd be a $350 radio, 100 more than what most other sellers are asking.

Ill be contacting mroneey to inquire about his radio.

I messaged coldfrontsales about that radio and he said ot has the new mic but it only works on 10 and 12 meters... i sent yeticom an email last night asking if i could get one ready to go for 11 meters, said shipping was like $65! Forget that. Thatd be a $350 radio, 100 more than what most other sellers are asking.

Ill be contacting mroneey to inquire about his radio.

The ones from coldfrontsales require you open the cover and move a jumper to get 11m - about a minute overall.

I'd still suggest you look at the one for sale here first, but if that falls through know that the other is a quick fix.

Scroll down to modes - http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Radio Reviews/Yeticom Optima/Yeticom Optima Overview.htm

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.