• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Next Radio

918Oklahoma

KG5FLM
Dec 5, 2014
Bartlesville, OK
Im not sure where to go next.. im looking for a ssb capable radio to use in my first base station but im not sure which.

Its gotta be rock solid on ssb and decent on AM. im tired of the drift issues that i have with my 959. Looking to upgrade... some ive been considering... the Uniden PC122XL. I love the looks of this little guy.
RCI 2950... id have to save some cash before getting one, but i like the idea of getting it new and having a warranty, a lottle extra power, and being able to listen on 10m if i wanted to. There are no CB techs in my area so id like to get something thats not going to need work, i want to plug and play right away.

What other radios should i consider? Looking to keep ot under $300.

Reactions: Oatmeal

A lot of folks like the new Uniden Bearcat 980SSB.
Yes i was considering that but hate that the roger beep is always going to be on unless i mod it, im not technically inclined enough to do that my own and like i said, no cb shops or techs around to work on my radios. The 980 would be a no brainer if not for that damn beeping.

Anytone At-6666 Nice little radio push a button it goes to 11 meters . A forum member has one an he loves it . It's in your price range . JMO

The 2950 does require expansion for 11m. This "e" chip SHOULD be included in the box. I have heard of some dealers pulling these out and selling them back to the customer for an additional charge. I would recommend DTB radio. This is where one of mine came from and it works well. Dave will open it for 11 and check the alignment before sending it to you. If you want it to SWING and walk the dog on AM...Dave is not the guy. It will however sound clear and loud on am and ssb. As for the optima I'm not sure on what or if a mod is required. I have not owned one yet. They are highly regarded by many guys on this forum and would still be in your price range. As for a ham rig...you might be better off going this route. For a couple hundred $ more you can find a good used IC 718..TS 50..DX70..all of witch are far superior to a 10/11 export rig especially for the ssb guy. Just find one already moded for 11. You can also look in to getting your ham radio license (highly recommend) and really make use of what these radios were intended for.

The 2950 does require expansion for 11m. This "e" chip SHOULD be included in the box. I have heard of some dealers pulling these out and selling them back to the customer for an additional charge. I would recommend DTB radio. This is where one of mine came from and it works well. Dave will open it for 11 and check the alignment before sending it to you. If you want it to SWING and walk the dog on AM...Dave is not the guy. It will however sound clear and loud on am and ssb. As for the optima I'm not sure on what or if a mod is required. I have not owned one yet. They are highly regarded by many guys on this forum and would still be in your price range. As for a ham rig...you might be better off going this route. For a couple hundred $ more you can find a good used IC 718..TS 50..DX70..all of witch are far superior to a 10/11 export rig especially for the ssb guy. Just find one already moded for 11. You can also look in to getting your ham radio license (highly recommend) and really make use of what these radios were intended for.
Thanks for the reference there, i will keep that in mind if I decide to go with the RCI.
And yes, sideband is my thing. There aren't many locals using CB around here from what i can tell, ive only talked to a couple. However, ive made quite a few DX QSOs with 12 watts of power and a wilson mag mount and hopefully many more to come with my new horizontal dipole that is going up (about 30ft up) tomorrow. (y)

I think you have made up my mind, im just going to wait a bit and keep saving for an all band transceiver, i'll need it sooner than later. Especially once the 11m skip dies out.

Would the Uniden PC122XL be a good radio to replace the galaxy 959 in my vehicle with?

Thanks for the reference there, i will keep that in mind if I decide to go with the RCI.
And yes, sideband is my thing. There aren't many locals using CB around here from what i can tell, ive only talked to a couple. However, ive made quite a few DX QSOs with 12 watts of power and a wilson mag mount and hopefully many more to come with my new horizontal dipole that is going up (about 30ft up) tomorrow. (y)

I think you have made up my mind, im just going to wait a bit and keep saving for an all band transceiver, i'll need it sooner than later. Especially once the 11m skip dies out.

Would the Uniden PC122XL be a good radio to replace the galaxy 959 in my vehicle with?

I can't speak for the galaxy but I started out ssb w an old pc122. It was a great rig. Quiet receive and decent audio on ssb and am. I had the clarifier unlocked and an expo channel 40 +\- kit installed and talked a lot with that little radio. I had a 102in fiberglass whip mounted above the TV antenna at my parents house. It actually worked well for what it was...

Reactions: 222DBFL
Yes the pc122xl is a nice little radio if you find one that isn't hacked up. They will do 15-20 watts SSB. Clean and clear audio in a little radio. Have one myself that is a great radio. I used mine with a horizontal dipole and talked to Australia with it. My 2nd time reaching there ever. And this was with 12-15 watts. Just don't over spend on one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.