• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NGP CB antenna

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
Been wondering what is the best NGP CB antenna that can be use either with or without a magnetic mount. Been wondering because it could be handy for use on a motorcycle, atv, utv, or a tractor which I own with extra radios who need a home. And yes I understand that some people think that there is No Such Thing as a Good NGP antenna but amongst a bunch of experience operators I hope to get a majority rules type answer because experimenting with failures ( like radios ) gets expensive.

Thanks
Mike

Most so-called No Ground Plane antennas use the coax shield and the radio as an accidental ground plane. I'd love to see someone sell a CB version of the ham-style end-fed half wave antenna with a step-up transformer and a ferrite-bead balun to keep RF off the radio.

The basic setup is to make the whip a half wavelength, rather than the usual quarter wavelength. Mostly it's done by winding twice as much wire onto a fiberglass core as for a quarter-wave whip. The feedpoint impedance at one end of a half wave radiator is really high, like 600 ohms or more. The NGP coax is cut to an exact length that makes it a step-up transformer. But it does this by NOT connecting the coax shield at the antenna end. This will keep the SWR under control, but makes the coax shield into an accidental radiating element. Try to run any real power and you'll be getting RF burns from the mike, or signal-rectification "squeal" problems.

Never have taken a Shakespeare marine CB antenna apart. Always figured that they use the same trick, just can't say first hand.

Still makes me wonder, if you took a ham step-up transformer meant for an end-fed half wave wire and used it at the feedpoint of a CB NGP whip would it really fix the "hot RF" problem on the radio and coax.

Most so-called No Ground Plane antennas use the coax shield and the radio as an accidental ground plane. I'd love to see someone sell a CB version of the ham-style end-fed half wave antenna with a step-up transformer and a ferrite-bead balun to keep RF off the radio.

The basic setup is to make the whip a half wavelength, rather than the usual quarter wavelength. Mostly it's done by winding twice as much wire onto a fiberglass core as for a quarter-wave whip. The feedpoint impedance at one end of a half wave radiator is really high, like 600 ohms or more. The NGP coax is cut to an exact length that makes it a step-up transformer. But it does this by NOT connecting the coax shield at the antenna end. This will keep the SWR under control, but makes the coax shield into an accidental radiating element. Try to run any real power and you'll be getting RF burns from the mike, or signal-rectification "squeal" problems.

Never have taken a Shakespeare marine CB antenna apart. Always figured that they use the same trick, just can't say first hand.

Still makes me wonder, if you took a ham step-up transformer meant for an end-fed half wave wire and used it at the feedpoint of a CB NGP whip would it really fix the "hot RF" problem on the radio and coax.

Thanks for the reply but it sounds a little over my head. I guess I'll have to do more study.

Walcott has a selection of no ground plane antennas.

Thanks for the input and I'll check them out in Walmart.Com because I have a case of the Ass on for Walcott because when I bought my Lincoln II+ from them I specifically ask them to put on the bench and make sure it was aligned proper which I would have paid for but looks like they failed to do it. And when I got the radio I called them to ask a question and was left with the impression that I was Bothering them. NO MORE Money for Walcott out of my pocket. The other question is did you ever try one of these antenna ?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Thanks for the input and I'll check them out in Walmart.Com because I have a case of the Ass on for Walcott because when I bought my Lincoln II+ from them I specifically ask them to put on the bench and make sure it was aligned proper which I would have paid for but looks like they failed to do it. And when I got the radio I called them to ask a question and was left with the impression that I was Bothering them. NO MORE Money for Walcott out of my pocket. The other question is did you ever try one of these antenna ?
I have never used one of those, but I have used a 9 foot whip on a painters pole. I wound a choke 9 feet down the coax to act as the ground plane, seemed to do quite well.

I have never used one of those, but I have used a 9 foot whip on a painters pole. I wound a choke 9 feet down the coax to act as the ground plane, seemed to do quite well.
I wonder if anybody ever used a 102" SS whip and spring with a NGP Kit. I'm not a real fan of Fiberglas antennas and a 102" whip on the side of a travel trailer sort of rings my chimes. And when you got setup you could release it. Just a thought !

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I wonder if anybody ever used a 102" SS whip and spring with a NGP Kit. I'm not a real fan of Fiberglas antennas and a 102" whip on the side of a travel trailer sort of rings my chimes. And when you got setup you could release it. Just a thought !
By "side" of a trailer do you mean most of it actually being against the side rather than mounted on the Top and on one of the sides? That probably won't work. Vertical antennas mounted directly next to nearby objects causes significant reflections most times also resulting in a high SWR. Vertical antennas, like mobiles, need to be in the free and clear, which usually means mounting on top. I have run 102" whips on a pickup mounted on a bed rail corner behind the cab where only the bottom couple of feet were near the cab and that works okay - the majority of the whip being free and clear.

Reactions: whiteastro
By "side" of a trailer do you mean most of it actually being against the side rather than mounted on the Top and on one of the sides? That probably won't work. Vertical antennas mounted directly next to nearby objects causes significant reflections most times also resulting in a high SWR. Vertical antennas, like mobiles, need to be in the free and clear, which usually means mounting on top. I have run 102" whips on a pickup mounted on a bed rail corner behind the cab where only the bottom couple of feet were near the cab and that works okay - the majority of the whip being free and clear.
Your right in the side of the trailer installation would be a bad choice of placement. I most of the time prefer the center of the roof that's why all my mobile antenna are mag mounts because I refuse to punch a hole in my roof for any reason. Just my opinion which I have a right to. I wonder how a side mount would be for a whip in the front of the trailer on center so you would have ground plane to the rear with the trailer roof and ground plane to the front with towing vehicle. You could bend it and tie it down while traveling and release it when you reached your destination. ( Thinking of a camper situation ) A 102 inch whip free on top of a roof would be getting beat to death by objects. Just a thought but I'm sure someone has tried it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.