• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No more free ham ticket?

If you can afford $10,000+ for a radio and antenna just so you can sit there saying "CQ contest, you are 59" all day, $50 / 10 yrs = $5 per year. If thats a problem, i dont know what to tell you...
I have no idea why anyone would want to contest. The whole deal to me is stupid..ask some guy his call and state 10 times and then exchange 59 signal report is bs. Yes those guys can afford it. Butvon qrz they are the ones crying the most for some reason.
My most expensive radio is a 7300 lol. And my loop antenna was made with free wire. I paid $600 for my sb220.
I dont care about the fee. I took all my tests a while ago
Im also pretty sure if you fail they dont usually give you your $ back. And even if they do this is a deterrent for nervous new hams.
Many hams donate their time free. So fuck the fcc. They dont do shit

Reactions: oldtymer and Rwb
I have no idea why anyone would want to contest. The whole deal to me is stupid..ask some guy his call and state 10 times and then exchange 59 signal report is bs. Yes those guys can afford it. Butvon qrz they are the ones crying the most for some reason.
My most expensive radio is a 7300 lol. And my loop antenna was made with free wire. I paid $600 for my sb220.
I dont care about the fee. I took all my tests a while ago
Im also pretty sure if you fail they dont usually give you your $ back. And even if they do this is a deterrent for nervous new hams.
Many hams donate their time free. So fuck the fcc. They dont do shit
yeah i agree,i prefer to talk on my radio,but anymore nobody talks unless you make an error on the air,then they jump down your throat.
Got into it with a jerk other day,was on a small local repeater ,hadnt been on maybe 30 seconds,friend replied n BOOM This jerk got on n said get off the repeater its reserved for emergencys n talking. I keyed up gave callsign n said yes i know,no emergency so im uingg number 2 but if you keep on im thinkin your number 2 n not the choices number 2 but number 2 from south end of noth bound horse.
We finished our visit,that jerk poped off agaun i asked for his callsign n he gave it. I said OH HEY YOU ARE THE GUY THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO MAINTAIN 2 REPEATERS BUT LET EM DIE BECAUSE YOU WERE TOO LAZY TO FIX EM N YOU LOST YOUR POSITION IN YOUR CLUB. He stuttered n grew quiet

Repeaters seem to attract the people who think ham radio is all about walkie talkies and talking like a robot.

A lot of them here upgraded from CB and try so hard to hide it that they can't have a real conversation with anyone.

Repeaters seem to attract the people who think ham radio is all about walkie talkies and talking like a robot.

A lot of them here upgraded from CB and try so hard to hide it that they can't have a real conversation with anyone.
that old grumpy fart is just that. I usually go simplex but my friend is just out of simplex range.
But the pisser ol grumpy never talks unless its to gripe,and if new ham shows up instead of showing them they boobooed he bitches like an old widder woman.
Most of us try to correct em n explane how its done in decent manner.most we helpedd are becoming decent operators.have to remember old hams were new hams at 1 point n im sure they screwed up too

"Dan"????? Oh, you refer to the alcoholic in Tn.

I was at the Shelby (Memphis) swap meet a few years ago, "Dan" was drunk at 10:00AM. Walking around with a large soft drink cup that you could smell the cheap whisky from 10 feet away.
That RED SOLO CUP song his theme song?

He needs to "go away".

I wouldn't mind paying but they literally do nothing for us anymore. They can't even send you a paper copy of your license but they want $50 to list you in a computer? Just get UPS to pay double for the 220 band they never even used and went to 800 anyhow.

Reactions: 543_Dallas and Rwb
I wouldn't mind paying but they literally do nothing for us anymore. They can't even send you a paper copy of your license but they want $50 to list you in a computer? Just get UPS to pay double for the 220 band they never even used and went to 800 anyhow.
F.C.C.= GOLDIE DIGGER

So lets imagine a gentleman that is living on a fixed income. His medicine costs $250 a month. He once earned $70000 a year, had it all, but is now disabled. Every dime he gets is stretched. The only pleasure he gets out of his miserable life now is his radio. Its the middle of summer, and he realizes his license expired. He will no longer be able to broadcast until he coughs up an extra $50. This could be until next February at tax time.... I still believe its a bummer.

Reactions: Rwb
So lets imagine a gentleman that is living on a fixed income. His medicine costs $250 a month. He once earned $70000 a year, had it all, but is now disabled. Every dime he gets is stretched. The only pleasure he gets out of his miserable life now is his radio. Its the middle of summer, and he realizes his license expired. He will no longer be able to broadcast until he coughs up an extra $50. This could be until next February at tax time.... I still believe its a bummer.
you sir are 100% correct. What i dont get people set n whine about prices but think $50.00fees are ok. They set back never sayin a word to stop prices but think increases are ok,im in the retired low income group due to medical also,i work part time and will turn 66 in january

Plenty of prople are on salary or get a a set amount of work hours per week. Is that so much different?

Plenty of prople are on salary or get a a set amount of work hours per week. Is that so much different?
I agree 110% Thats why all of us should file an opinion at the fcc website. keep it at $10, and the other ones that WANT to pay $50 can. get all your freinds involved as well....
Repeaters seem to attract the people who think ham radio is all about walkie talkies
Thanks to the price of the baofeng, it has made ham radio more attractive.

It's too hard. It's too cheap. Baofeng ruined ham radio. It's too easy. It's too expensive. Cheap radios are good.

Go to your room if you are going to whine, and close the door because I d.... err sorry, you sounded like my kids

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated