• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Noise Cancelling Headphones

Rabbid Possum

Jul 26, 2021
Tennessee
I am a complete newbie to this hobby, and wanting to learn as much as I can. Can you use noise cancelling headphones with a CB? Would I just need to find a 3.5mm female to 4 pin adapter? I know this is probably a stupid question but trying to learn as much as I can

Would I just need to find a 3.5mm female to 4 pin adapter?

Welcome Senor Possum,
Am thinking those are pretty scarce. That might require some homebrewing. Finding a VOX headset might be a bit easier.

What radio are you planning to use? Some have 3.5mm receptacles for VOX headsets.

Last edited:
If it is a headset with a mic then it would need a four pin adapter with a push button to key the transmitter.
Now that I think about it, the mic element might be electret (condenser) for computer use. Would need a source of power then. Something like this might be available for ham radios. Get one for a Yaesu 4 pin and it would work on a Cobra style radio.

Reactions: Crawdad
Yes the issue on most CB rigs is the "sound" has to come from back of radio, where audio and PTT control must come thru the microphone plug jack.
Where most HAM/some better designed CB rigs have headphone jack on front panels.

Reactions: 144inBama
Welcome! It would probably work, just plug it into the external speaker jack in the back of the radio.
I don't know spec's of a CB speaker output jack but its rated in watts and headphones need only milliwatts to drive them.

Common practice is to never plug headphones into speaker sources which are rated in watts.

An easy way around to get a headphone jack would go with an external speaker like this with a headphone jack built in. That's the Cobra HG S500 high gear CB speakers wich sells for about $30.00

Cobra-HG-S500-Highgear-CB-Speaker-reviews-and-user-guide-282x300.jpg

Reactions: Crawdad
There isn't "noise cancelling" headphones I know of, just speakers with noise filters on them that do have headphone jacks but they get expensive. The West Mountain radio speaker has the better if not best DSP filtering but it's a $200.00 speaker.

51sWdsIE8+L._AC_SX425_.jpg

The OP needs to be more specific if he's just wanting to use headphones or a headset(mic/headphones).

It is possible to rig up a CB to use a headset but it's going to take some ingenuity to do so.

An entry level Ham rig would be so much easier though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.