• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Noise toy wire up

dozerman

hello, its me again
Dec 16, 2013
milan tennessee
I've got a noise toy that I pulled out of a radio some years ago and have forgotten how to wire it back up. It's a 4 wire hookup. Blue, white, grey and brown. It looks like blue-white are the audio in and out. Grey looks like power in and grey to ptt on the mike or a switch but it doesn't work this way. Thoughts?

Ok,
Gray, I'm pretty sure is "GROUND"
White pretty sure is going to audio pin on mic socket.
Brown, I'm thinking would go to transmit pin on mic socket?
Blue pretty sure would go to 12VDC? or may even work on a 9 volt source?

Can't be 100% sure and I will take the 5th if I'm wrong.

Plead the 5th? that's comforting I will get it wired that way in a bit. working on another signal sampler to use in testing, at the moment. Thank you sir!

Plead the 5th? that's comforting I will get it wired that way in a bit. working on another signal sampler to use in testing, at the moment. Thank you, sir!
Well, we must both be on the same wavelength I'm working on a sampler for the bench that will feed my scope, spectrum analyzer, frequency counter, and link the 6060B gen. making all the feeds adjustable and able to be switched to ground.

From my bench file dated 2005:

Blue is +12 Volts. A close look should reveal that it connects to the right-hand leg of a 78L05 chip.

Gray is ground.

White is audio.

Brown is the activate line. The toy plays while this wire is grounded. A pushbutton switch to ground will do. Pretty sure they meant for it to also work connected to the radio's transmit pin of the mike socket. All radios are not created equal in this department, but it should not damage the radio to hook this wire to the mike socket's transmit pin.

You can make this toy edge-triggered rather than level-triggered. The way it's built the sound stops when you break the ground connection to the brown wire. Only plays while the switch is held closed.

To make it start playing when the switch is closed, and finish the whole sound clip if the switch is released:

Cut the trace between pin 23 and the diode connected to pin 23. Jumper the anode end (not banded end) to pin 24. Pin 24 should already have a 100k resistor connected there, and to 5 Volts at the other end. They call this a "pull up" resistor.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
From my bench file dated 2005:

Blue is +12 Volts. A close look should reveal that it connects to the right-hand leg of a 78L05 chip.

Gray is ground.

White is audio.

Brown is the activated line. The toy plays while this wire is grounded. A pushbutton switch to ground will do. Pretty sure they mean it to also work connected to the radio's transmit pin of the mike socket. All radios are not created equal in this department, but it should not damage the radio to hook this wire to the mike socket's transmit pin.

You can make this toy edge-triggered rather than level-triggered. The way it's built the sound stops when you break the ground connection to the brown wire. Only plays while the switch is held closed.

To make it start playing when the switch is closed, and finish the whole sound clip if the switch is released:

Cut the trace between pin 23 and the diode connected to pin 23. Jumper the anode end (not banded end) to pin 24. Pin 24 should already have a 100k resistor connected there, and to 5 Volts at the other end. They call this a "pull up" resistor.

Ok there you go Dozerman, Nomad has confirmed my post and added some additional information it's been a few years since I have messed with these chips I think they are APR9301V2 or some equivalent, I will have to look that up and see my memory isn't what it used to be. These are being used in there most basic form as Nomad explained there are many ways to configure these and can be a lot of fun to play with it.

The chip is one of the original ISD1000-series analog sound-storage chips. Never figured out exactly which chip of this series they used.

Here's the data files for the original versions.

Attachments

• ISD1000.pdf
    391 KB · Views: 15
  • ISD1100.pdf
    265.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.