1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Non conductive masts. What do you use?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by Mudfoot, Aug 12, 2019.

1. binrat

binrat WDX Club Coordinator
    Staff Member

I don't really keep track but I think the highest hike up is around 8500 feet in Canada so far, around 8200 in Az.
    I've been experimenting with 2 element yagi's that are about 6' off of the ground on mountain tops. Seems that the rock has little effect on the antenna. Add soil and things go south real quick.
    2 meter contacts from HT to a mobile is regularly 85 km. Furthest is 265 km, HT with EDZ on a mast to a mobile.

2. Rob_MA

Rob_MA Active Member

Depending upon the application, wind loading, and length schedule 80 PVC pipe works well. The grey version holds up to UV better.

Christopher17 and Mudfoot like this.
  3. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

PVC sleeved over the top of the mast at the antenna boom clamp works well too without compromising strength. Just pick a PVC diameter close to the metal pipe and slice it down the side so the clamps compress it around the mast tightly.

357magnum and sp5it like this.
  4. Beetle

Beetle Sr. Member

That closet rod will have come from a Douglas fir, and there's your answer. Plant a tree right where you want the mast. Water it and protect it from hard freezes. Your mast will arrive in due course. You're welcome.:whistle::rolleyes:

5. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

LOL, I found an online source, but shipping is high.

357magnum likes this.
  6. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

:whistle:(y):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: