• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Non-typical repeater application.

radiolearner

Sep 13, 2022
I know I have asked this before. But, now I have more details.
I have an alert signal (motion-alert from dakotaalert.com, with about a 5second-long
alert message) automatically going into a Baofeng uv-R5 (call this radio #1). I have a maze of very tall obstacles that I must communicate
through/around. I cannot make a tower tall enough that I will get line-of-sight (LOS) --- not
going to happen in my application. I have 20+ feet tall mounds of dirt all over but I do have passageways in between these mounds of dirt
(like a mouse traveling through a maze if that is a useful analogy).
Now, what I am imagining in my head is this: I am going to manually set "communicators" (whose details I am asking your help on)
along a sequence of physical locations, A, B, C, D, E, F, G. A has LOS to B. B has LOS to C. C has LOS to D. D has LOS to E.
E has LOS to F. F has LOS to G. (I am located at G and I want to hear the alert at A from radio #1).
Radio #1 above communicates to "something" at B. B sends it to C. C sends it to D. E send it to F. F sends it to G.
Again I am at G and want to hear the alert.)
What I wish to know is what equipment is needed to accomplish the above task.
This is not a traditional repeater situation where you put a huge tower on the top of some mountain; that is
not going to happen in my application.
One suggestion that has come up is simplex-repeaters (presumably six of them for the above A-G setup). My nominal concern with that is this: The message gets
'repeated' about 6 times, 5seconds being the length of the message, for a total of 30seconds of delay. In my application I can only tolerate about 15seconds worth of delay, absolute maximum; so, 30seconds would be too much. Maybe simplexes could work out if the message-length can be cropped by the simplex-repeater down to about 1.5seconds. 6*1.5seconds = 9seconds, which is a delay-size (9sec) that my application can tolerate.
Great thanks in advance for all the help.
Again the end goal is to hear the alert. I know some will ask why not put a huge set of speakers at location A. One reason
that would not work out is that it would "SCARE" the person who has tripped the alert in the first place. I am not trying to scare;
I am just trying to be alerted/informed. :)
(Going on a month now trying to get this solved).

I'm not quite 100% sure I understand what you are trying to do or the distances involved. I own several Dakota Alert MURS Alert devices and the detectors all have an external antenna jack so that you can increase the range by adding a better antenna. All you need at those individual locations are receivers like the Baofeng. I get well over a mile in very hilly terrain with my DA driveway alarm.

If I am not getting what you are trying to do, please let me know.

Reactions: radiolearner
I'm not quite 100% sure I understand what you are trying to do or the distances involved. I own several Dakota Alert MURS Alert devices and the detectors all have an external antenna jack so that you can increase the range by adding a better antenna. All you need at those individual locations are receivers like the Baofeng. I get well over a mile in very hilly terrain with my ]DA driveway alarm.

Here is the type of geometry/distances I am talking about:
A is the alert location.
I am located at G.
The blue lines are 20-30ft tall mounds of dirt. The mounds of dirt are up to 30ft thick.
The distance between A and G is 325yards.
qx6f9s.png

I have tried the MURS-base antenna at A and it could not get to G.
The stock antenna even has trouble even getting from A to B, even though it is line-of-sight, except for some 6ft tall grass.
I also tried tying a rope to the receiver and throwing it up to the top of the mound at point Z. The stock antenna STILL could not get a communication to that receiver on the top of the dirt-mound (could not accomplish A-to-Z-to-G communication.)
nuwryx.png
[/URL]

Last edited:
Beam antenna in a tree? There must be an easier answer. What is the distance?
There are absolutely no trees. There is a tall silo in the upper left of the picture I posted in the post above. But I am not really supposed to be climbing up on it. Also, even though it is tall, it is still not tall enough to get line-of-sight to location G.

On top of all of the above, I have tried putting a tall pole on the top of my vehicle at G, a total of 11.5ft off the ground atop of which I placed the receiver radio. Still a fail in getting from A to G (that's with or without the MURS-base antenna at A). The pole was a hollow metal broomstick if that matters.
I tried duct-taping uv-5R's together with VOX on one of each pair, trying to get the repeater effect --it did not make it past point B. (I had an intermediate pair about half-way between A and B.)
I have tried zillions of things, but not the right thing, at least not yet.

The only thing I have not yet tried with the equipment I have right now, since I only just got the amplifier partly running two days ago, is to run the amplifier with the MURS-base antenna at point A.
I am not optimistic. I don't think you can penetrate 30ft of dirt just by using an off-shelf-amplifier, at least not with 2meter wavelength.

Last edited:
I'm not quite 100% sure I understand what you are trying to do or the distances involved. I own several Dakota Alert MURS Alert devices and the detectors all have an external antenna jack so that you can increase the range by adding a better antenna. All you need at those individual locations are receivers like the Baofeng. I get well over a mile in very hilly terrain with my DA driveway alarm.

I bet you don't have 30ft mounds of dirt in between.

If I had no perimeter obstructions like that, I would shoot a laser beam or three around the whole place.

...and then I would modulate it at 800Hz so I could detect the beam being replaced with another laser source without it being visibly obvious to the intruder :)

Trying to solve a problem here, not turn the thread into an FCC part whatever discussion...

Put a cross band repeater using two baofengs at location X (well, a little south of that, picture too small). Repeater at X receives MURS and transmits on FRS.
nuwryx 2.jpg

Trying to solve a problem here, not turn the thread into an FCC part whatever discussion...

Put a cross band repeater using two baofengs at location X (well, a little south of that, picture too small). Repeater at X receives MURS and transmits on FRS.
View attachment 60735
What cable would you use to connect the two baofengs. I ordered the below ebay cable a few days ago, but hasn't arrived yet. The below amazon cable did not work -- it made the TX-radio of the pair transmit constantly (although it seemed to work fine for connecting the Dakota radio to the baofeng uv-5R). Hopefully my base-antenna (new one just ordered) and Btech amp (amp-v25 vhf analog amplifier) will get me from A to X.

Amazon product ASIN B07QLFNKTF

Last edited:

View attachment 60735
Also, here below is a bigger picture. I will have to check to see if point X is in cropfields where I cannot walk....

tzhlro.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?