1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

NXP

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by kopcicle, Jun 18, 2019.

1. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

...well to answer that question and others that were not asked.
    mrf300_screenshot.jpg
    This is my investigation into the MRF300AN/BN devices.
    Any similarity to the NXP MRFX1K80H is purely intentional
    board_pg7-.jpg
    I figured it's good enough for the designers and manufacturers of the 65V 1600w+ device it's probably a good place to start for a pair of 300w devices from the same manufacturer.

mill.jpg
    Enter the above Sainsmart 3018. This is actually a whole subject unto it's own and will or will not be covered elsewhere depending on interest. What little CNC experience I acquired over the years did not in any significant way prepare me for this. It's been a steep learning curve accompanied by copious amounts of quality craft beer from ...
    FUT PRIM LOGO._01_5.png
    ...and a variety of single malt Scotch's . (I prefer Laphroaig, hint, hint)

Back to the amplifier...
    It starts out in Gimp, a cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and more operating systems. Any image can be opened and manipulated to whatever you need and saved as a .bmp.
    Inkscape is professional quality vector graphics software which runs on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows desktop computers. The .bmp is opened and scaled appropriately in Inkscape and a .svg file is saved.
    http://jscut.org/
    Not nearly self explanatory but for most of what I do it works. I have other tools from licensed software but I wanted this explanation to cover just what is freely available.
    Screenshot at 2020-01-18 16-01-44.png
    I'm using LinuxCNC to proof and edit my work after the gcode generation from jscut.

The unfortunate boggle to my process at the moment is having to switch to Micro$hit Winblow$ to control my router. However DrufelCNC just works. I've not yet seen an excuse or reason to fork over the $$ to Mach3 for additional support. What I really need is a real time LinuxOS and a parallel port driven controller for the router but with what I have it works for now .
    mrf300_screenshot_Drufel.jpg
    Just another reason I want to dump Winblow$. It wouldn't let me take a screenshot so you get a crappy cellphone pic.

It all started with this
    MXP-MRF101-configuration-large.jpg
    or
    RF-MRF101AN-13.56MHz-board.jpg
    or
    amp_board_chassis.jpeg
    then
    IMG_0011.JPG
    These being for the MRF101AN/BN for the uBitx mobile project covered elsewhere.

Schematics, artwork, gcode, Bill of materials and other parts sources, and even some support is freely available on request. As a consequence of the steep (for me anyway) learning curve I'm more than accepting any help or suggestions.

...and so it goes

#16 kopcicle, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020

2. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

I have all kinds of sources for heatsinks. Most are not that economical. In fact some of the prices are down right comical. However, like all that I do I've been exhaustively scouring the interwebz for a consistent source other than non repeatable surplus.

Going forward I'll include sources north of the border so shipping isn't a deal breaker even if it would suxors for me.

The real challenge has been finding copper heat spreader material.

I have the input and output transformers set as well as the BOM for the bias circuitry.

I kinda figured as I went into some depth someone would ask the obvious (y)

Rwb likes this.
  3. Klondike Mike

Klondike Mike Sr. Member

Key words that I have run into as well.

Rwb likes this.
  4. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Actually - you're doing fine on your own - I don't want to detract (derail) your train of thought...

Please Continue!

Rwb likes this.
  5. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

Honestly Andy I do very little on "my own". Many have contributed and hopefully many will. The path I chose was my own but many others have contributed. Updates as they happen, film at 11:00, batteries not included, dealer prep and license not included, only your psychic knows for sure, not available in stores, the surgeon general reports that some Californians may contract halitosis from the inhalation of rosin flux fumes, and, YMMV.

#20 kopcicle, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Rwb, LeapFrog, Slowmover and 2 others like this.
  6. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

I've been using HeatsinkUSA for the heatsinks. They are expensive but they offer the largest heatsinks available in the USA. The copper spreaders have been purchased on eBay. One seller was offering 5'' x 5'' x 1/4'' copper plate at a reasonable price. It cuts well on the table saw with a carbide tip blade and some oil.

Rwb likes this.
  7. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

Kop,are you n edgar back on speaking terms?

8. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

mrf300_cutout_test.jpg

latest. The gcode(s) is/are available if you know the magic word(s)
    YMMV

Attached Files:

9. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

email on the way to the usual suspects. All others can pay the usual fee and PM an email addy.

Rwb likes this.
  10. ExitThirteen

ExitThirteen Grumpy and Cranky

Woid.

~Cheers~

Rwb likes this.
  11. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

MRF300_Done.JPG
    That took for ever.

Next...

and so it goes

12. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

(y)(y)

Rwb likes this.
  13. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Rock on!

Way ahead o'me on this one.

Rwb likes this.
  14. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

IMG_0019.JPG
    Santa Claus in a DHL suit, minutes ago.
    That takes care of the 200w version spurs.
    Although designed for a 100w radio It should do just fine if AM/FM & digital modes are backed off a bit.

Rwb likes this.
  15. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

RF-MRFX1K80H-27MHz-board.jpg

Attached Files: