• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OK All U Beam Antenna Freaks.....

I've been through Rutland many times, I used to have a customer in Burlington. In fact, isn't there a Denny's right south as you head out of town? I've eaten there several times as well, lol.

Yup, I was just North of Denny's. Denny's is still there.

polarization doesnt matter for dx, the only advantage you would have is ground gain being horizontal. polarization matter's a great deal for ground wave, so if your talking local and your horizontal and the other party is vertical you will see around a 20db loss or just over 3s unit.

Carl, you lost me. I am pretty much ignorant when it comes to this antenna stuff. Would you see that kind of loss non-local, DX'ing if the other party was running a vertical? Once you bounce on a skip lets say, to Europe, would it make any difference if the other party was vertical or horizontal? I am assuming you are referring to "local" only. Correct?

Skywave signals aka DX, arrive at all polarization angles regardless of the originating polarity. It twists and rotates along the path. The only best polarity to use is both. I used to run dual polarity beams and often had to switch back and forth during a single contact just to maintain communications even though the other station remained on a constant polarity.

Reactions: 1 person
Skywave signals aka DX, arrive at all polarization angles regardless of the originating polarity. It twists and rotates along the path. The only best polarity to use is both. I used to run dual polarity beams and often had to switch back and forth during a single contact just to maintain communications even though the other station remained on a constant polarity.
One thing ot note ....... A horizontal beam has a max gain edge on the same bean at vertical. BUT, the vertical doesn't have the deep nulls which may allow you to hit "skip zones".

Isn't most noise vertically polarized? It would seem to me that having a horizontally polarized antenna would make for quieter operation.

What do I know, I've never had a beam

One thing ot note ....... A horizontal beam has a max gain edge on the same bean at vertical. BUT, the vertical doesn't have the deep nulls which may allow you to hit "skip zones".

Isn't most noise vertically polarized? It would seem to me that having a horizontally polarized antenna would make for quieter operation.

What do I know, I've never had a beam

Thanks for this info! I was listening to a guy last week from the UK that was using a Moxon. He wasn't coming thru as hot as everyone else and I know that could be because of a variety of factors. A member mentioned the Sirio Tornado whip and was curious if anyone had experience with them. I'm also thinking about moving the 102 to dead center in the roof and using the 40x28 foot metal roof as the ground plane. I think by doing so it would balance everything out better as the 102 is mounted to the end of the house gable currently. Is this a correct assumption?

Also, would a simple dipole work as a directional beam if I could mount it say 25-30' and have it rotate?

Thanks for this info! I was listening to a guy last week from the UK that was using a Moxon. He wasn't coming thru as hot as everyone else and I know that could be because of a variety of factors. A member mentioned the Sirio Tornado whip and was curious if anyone had experience with them. I'm also thinking about moving the 102 to dead center in the roof and using the 40x28 foot metal roof as the ground plane. I think by doing so it would balance everything out better as the 102 is mounted to the end of the house gable currently. Is this a correct assumption?

Also, would a simple dipole work as a directional beam if I could mount it say 25-30' and have it rotate?
Keep in mind that the 102" whip is only a 1/4 wave antenna and therefore not much in the way of gain. You would do better replacing it with one of higher gain and then using a beam for long distance work.

Yes there are rotatable dipoles. They are a bi-directional antenna.

Keep in mind that the 102" whip is only a 1/4 wave antenna and therefore not much in the way of gain. You would do better replacing it with one of higher gain and then using a beam for long distance work.

IF they're mounted up high and in the clear. Below about one full wavelength, or surrounded by buildings they tend to be pretty much omnidirectional or NVIS.

You are referring to a bi-directional dipole as being either vertical or horizontal correct? Sorry again for my ignorance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.