• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OK All U Beam Antenna Freaks.....

The moxon is up. Low, but up and working. That thing freakin' rocks. I do have some issues however. I need to get it up into the back yard and will need at least a 100' run of lmr400 to get there. It's too close to the house right now and that metal roof is reaking havoc with the swr's. Shoot towards europe and the swr's go up .1-.2 so I know it isn't good. Not much but it is having an effect. Gonna wait a week or so until the weather warms a bit to move it.

Spent about a half hour dxing with someone in AL today and hit FL as well. Reports were boomin' baby! I have to say the rejection of other stations off axis with the beam is incredible. It's allowing me to pull out stations with ease now and now can really appreciate the advantages of a beam antenna. So much nicer than having the barrage of stations coming in from 360 deg'. Once I get it up 30+ feet and away from this house I'll really be in business. The contacts I have made so far have been running 40-100 watts and I have come boomin' in barefoot out of the "Ditch". Just goes to prove that an amp won't solve a problem but a good antenna just might! Once again, they couldn't believe I was barefoot.

I am also hearing stations that I never heard before. it's cheap and worth it. Plus you get to appreciate something you built from scratch. (y)

Reactions: 2 people
Yep, beams are cool now; aren't they.

Moxons doesn't as much gain as a four element Yagi does, but they still have some real gain. They also have some usable directionality. Side and rear rejection. Now, you too are a beam freak; but now you know why . . .

Reactions: 1 person
Cool , glad it worked out my old 99 seems fine talked to Mia in Scotland for 10 mins an hooked up some guy in Budapest running bare foot also .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

Yep, beams are cool now; aren't they.

Moxons doesn't as much gain as a four element Yagi does, but they still have some real gain. They also have some usable directionality. Side and rear rejection. Now, you too are a beam freak; but now you know why . . .

Funny, I wanted to just order the Sirio 4 element Yagi but were back ordered for at least 2 months. Bummer!

Cool , glad it worked out my old 99 seems fine talked to Mia in Scotland for 10 mins an hooked up some guy in Budapest running bare foot also .

I heard that guy from Budapest today. The skip is so strange here sometimes. It rolls in and out. I hear a station(UK etc.) that's talking to someone in Mass' saying they are 20-30 over and all of a sudden they're gone. It happens all the time. I would hear a cq come boomin' in and by the time I get a word out of my mouth the signal fades just like someone is slowly turning down the volume. Happened a bunch of times today. Had a good hold on a station from Santa Barbara CA and all of a sudden, they were gone. Same with Italy. Even Japan and Hawaii. Crazy. Was able to punch thru to 2 stations in Ireland even firing right into the metal roof. Ireland and Scotland have been a problem here for me. I can get Italy, UK, So' coast of France, Germany but not northern UK. Go figure. The beam solved that issue so now gotta get it in the right place. Gotta get this done 'cause the work in the greenhouse and the garden will be starting soon.:drool:

Last edited:
i am so jealous hobie. grrr.

I was hearing lots of european stations today. lots of UK and Ireland.

yea, the UK was raging and then Ireland blew the roof off the house this afternoon. I don't know what they were running for power (most do at least 40-60 watts) but I heard guys switching from the vertical antennas to beams and back. I was playing with that today. The F/B is so extreme (even better than a Yagi) on the Moxon that I literally can't hear whats going on a lot of the time except where the beam is pointed. So, when things got eerily quiet I would switch back to the vertical. I pick out the QTH of the strongest stations and just turn the beam to them. While it's rotating I switch to the beam antenna. I don't have an actual switch yet so I do it manually.

I used this; Find your QTH locator (or your grid square) with GoogleMaps to get the Azimuth for the different zones I communicate with. I then rotate the antenna to the degrees from the QTH locator using a compass in my hand. Then I put a "sticky" on the rotator dial. (i.e. UK from my location, the antenna is turned to 53 degrees) Slicker than a barnyard of fresh turd on a 110 degree hot summer day!:blink:

Hobie don't forget to point down my way , an yes it's getting close to " Farming Time " an when that starts I have to try an make time for the radio .

The contacts I have made so far have been running 40-100 watts and I have come boomin' in barefoot out of the "Ditch". Just goes to prove that an amp won't solve a problem but a good antenna just might!

Glad you've finally got there.

I am also hearing stations that I never heard before. it's cheap and worth it. Plus you get to appreciate something you built from scratch. (y)

I do believe we have another convert to the Church of Moxon.(y)

Hobie don't forget to point down my way , an yes it's getting close to " Farming Time " an when that starts I have to try an make time for the radio .

Will do 357! I heard stations that were close by too yesterday. Upstate NY and south Hartford CT. They were faint but they were there. I was talking to an owner of a local store a few days ago and he told me the pipes are frozen in the village. have been for guite a while. Said the frost is 7 feet deep anywhere there isn't snow covering the ground. If we didn't have snow cover we'd all be screwed as our water lines would have been solid ice for the past couple of months. His were even insulated and they still locked up. This is a stupid place to live!

Glad you've finally got there.

I do believe we have another convert to the Church of Moxon.(y)
:laugh:

Use this to generate an azimuth map you can print out. Put your grid square in as the location.

NS6T's Azimuthal Map

Thanks for this!(y)

I think once you Tweak it we may have a shot I'm in line with Plainfield CT if that helps you . You might have to swing that creation of yours a little further towards the coast . PS now my amp is causing me grief ! I might have to give you a land line to explain .

I think once you Tweak it we may have a shot I'm in line with Plainfield CT if that helps you . You might have to swing that creation of yours a little further towards the coast . PS now my amp is causing me grief ! I might have to give you a land line to explain .

That's a bummer with the amp. I will be around tomorrow pretty much all day if you wanna give me shout.

Think I got it figured it out had my modulation to high an I think it was over driving even though I had it set @ 2 watts I cut the modulation Way back an its been fine all day . Keeping my fingers crossed that was the problem . Talk all over today but the 777 in Arkansas was getting on my nerves with his bible songs .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.