• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ok this is my stupid question...

Carl said:
that was my first try sence they redid everything.they did away all the technical questions. you dont need to know anything about electronics now.

:cry: :evil: :cry: And that is why we will continue to hear "I would really like to get on the 40m (or whatever) band but I can't figure out how to make a dipole for it". :x :x Don't laugh I have heard extras say that. No technical background at all means not knowing how to operate a clean station in a LOT of cases. :cry:

I will admit to being a bit biased on this issue I guess.My background is commercial broadcast engineering as most of you know.I wrote the old exams and scored 100% on the technical and 98% on the rules and regs without cracking a book and finished 40 minutes early. ;)

Re: DONT NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING

K8PG said:
I GUESS SEE YOUR NAME IN THE OBITS AND A LOT OF OTHERS
:( :( :( :(

PAUL -K8PG
Very helpful indeed........ "And that is why we will continue to hear "I would really like to get on the 40m (or whatever) band but I can't figure out how to make a dipole for it". Don't laugh I have heard extras say that. No technical background at all means not knowing how to operate a clean station in a LOT of cases." QRN, well said.

Well... the practice test I have been taking are QUITE technical. So I don't think its been dumbed down that much.

But this may be different because the one I have used so far is the one linked on eHam.

http://www.eham.net/exams/

I think the question pool it is using is the 2004 and perhaps 2005 question pools. And one set of them is the 2003 pool and the 2004 exam itself.

I hesitate to sign up for the ARRL one yet. Because this one is free and I figure until I am past learning some from the free one I might as well not start the clock ticking on the ARRL one yet. May not even end up needing to buy it. Might get enough out of the Book and the eHam tests and might even end up getting to go to this class. Will take it one day at a time.

But if the 2003 - 2005 questions are any indication, there is a mix of Technical and regulatory and even safety in each exam and pretty evenly too.

The latest Tech question pool became effective in July of this year.

The current question pools in use are:

Technician Class - Element 2 Question Pool - Effective July 1, 2006 until June 30, 2010

General Class - Element 3 Question Pool - Effective July 1, 2004 until June 30, 2007

Extra Class - Element 4 Question Pool - Effective July 1, 2002 until June 30, 2008

Here is a free site to take practice tests and they are using the current pools.

QRZ Practice Tests

Rich

has anyone done the "Amateur Radio License Course - EC-010" which is the ARRL's online course?

According to the ARRL's locator South Carolina is a wasteland of courses and test sites. It may be that they are just not kept up because there are some clubs in the area but I do not know how active they are. There are none right on top of me but a town closeby. Not sure they meet at all though. They don't seem to have much listed at ARRL site anyway.

no i havent look at that course. you need to use the qrz tests. the ehams are out of date, the fcc redoes them every 3 years and the ehams expired in july.

go here and practice from now on. http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

Well... has anyone? Just want to know if its worth the money.

Yes, I wasn't too worried about them being "out of date" so much as I was using them as an example of the type of questions I might see. I mean, out of date or not, they are still probably typical of the format and the types of questions. But.... yes... I will move around and try some others.

Re: tHERE YOU GO AGAIN PLUFFO

K8PG said:
AT LEAST 20 AMATEURS GET KILLED A YR BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT COMPATENT ENOUGH TO KNOW THE SAFETY GUIDELINE.
...............actually, I was in agreement with QRN and you....just QRN was more tactful about it, that's all. Also CBers are also killed as well and worth mentioning. My apologies to the Mods and the group for straying off topic, I just believe it's better to educate than to belittle someone.

Hamin' X said:
The latest Tech question pool became effective in July of this year.

The current question pools in use are:

Technician Class - Element 2 Question Pool - Effective July 1, 2006 until June 30, 2010

General Class - Element 3 Question Pool - Effective July 1, 2004 until June 30, 2007

Extra Class - Element 4 Question Pool - Effective July 1, 2002 until June 30, 2008

Here is a free site to take practice tests and they are using the current pools.

QRZ Practice Tests

Rich

Well... I had been studying using the older 2003 and 2004 pool. And today I was studying taking practice tests from the new July 2006 Tech pool. Of note: There are no diagrams. Which I kind of enjoyed. The technical level of the things is similar otherwise. They seem to do a bit more regulation overall but I don't really see that much let off technicaly other than the matching or labeling of parts of set ups and parts in electrical diagrams. They seem to have filled that void with more electronics questions and perhaps some more difficult Antenna and frequency questions. A bit more basic "Radio Functionality" rather than "Radio building" is the way I see it.

cphilip said:
Well... I had been studying using the older 2003 and 2004 pool. And today I was studying taking practice tests from the new July 2006 Tech pool. Of note: There are no diagrams. Which I kind of enjoyed. The technical level of the things is similar otherwise. They seem to do a bit more regulation overall but I don't really see that much let off technicaly other than the matching or labeling of parts of set ups and parts in electrical diagrams. They seem to have filled that void with more electronics questions and perhaps some more difficult Antenna and frequency questions. A bit more basic "Radio Functionality" rather than "Radio building" is the way I see it.

You could be correct, as it has been many years since I have looked at the questions. When I took my Novice exam in '66, it was a whole nuther ball game.

I'm glad that you are using the newer version though. Gud luk.

Rich

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.