• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old SBE Console II 23 channel, freq. expansion

Yes, got it working on ch 36, 37, 38, and 40, but the clarifier was cranked to the left and I was a tiny bit off frequency, this was in the newer of the 2 radios. Took it to a local shop The Radio Shop in ontario, ca and had everything aligned, worked great, was getting good reports on air, then started intermittent cutting out on some channels, key the mic no transmit. back to the shop, they located a bad 7.8025 mhz crystal that was the issue, that was replaced and they said all good. I still need to pick it up. Thinking of getting a VFO for the other one. Really loving using these vintage radios, they fixed my D104 too.

Last edited:
That's good to hear! I just recently picked up one of these radios too and I love it. Mine seems to work ok and I get good reports on the air. However, It is a little low on power and the Sideband is a little low. Everyone tells me that it sounds on frequency and is nice and clear. Just wish I knew someone who could give it a good tuneup and going over. I don't have those skills. Mine has the original microphone and manual and someone has replaced the 23 channel selector knob with a 40 and added a bank of crystals.... must be a conversion from back in the day. Thanks for the reply. Also it has a unlocked clarifier.

Low audio is probably one or more small electrolytic caps in audio circuits.

The chemistry used inside an aluminum electrolytic capacitor cause them to die from old age even when the mileage is low.
The advice you'll hear to "re-cap" a radio this old fixes this, no matter which ones are causing trouble now. A shotgun approach.

So long as your aim is good, this tends to fix problems all at once.

So long as all of the get turned the right way. Polarity is marked on the part for a reason.

And so long as you don't accidentally "bridge" a tiny hair of solder across the gap between foil traces.

Or, you can play electronic "whack-a-mole" and troubleshoot each symptom so you can replace just the cap that's bad.

Today.

The tuneup for a 20 year-old radio is simpler than for one twice that age or more.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Low audio is probably one or more small electrolytic caps in audio circuits.

The chemistry used inside an aluminum electrolytic capacitor cause them to die from old age even when the mileage is low.
The advice you'll hear to "re-cap" a radio this old fixes this, no matter which ones are causing trouble now. A shotgun approach.

So long as your aim is good, this tends to fix problems all at once.

So long as all of the get turned the right way. Polarity is marked on the part for a reason.

And so long as you don't accidentally "bridge" a tiny hair of solder across the gap between foil traces.

Or, you can play electronic "whack-a-mole" and troubleshoot each symptom so you can replace just the cap that's bad.

Today.

The tuneup for a 20 year-old radio is simpler than for one twice that age or more.

Where do you buy the capacitors at. Thanks Ducmike

Where do you buy the capacitors at. Thanks Ducmike
Electronics components distributor. I would not attempt doing this unless you are pretty well versed in electronics repair at this level. Things can go wrong really fast. Find a good tech to do this work. Perhaps a power mic would help mask the problem until you find a good tech, that will actually work on that radio. I had a hell of a time finding one that would work on mine. The Big Name tech like Nomad Radio and Mike don’t really take in mailed in work so unless you can drop off you will need to find someone who will touch it and out here in CA most won’t. Both my SBE radios work, for now, lol. It fun to use them but I am not sure what I am gonna do if I need real work like a recap done. Perhaps catch a flight to Nomad or Mike in Philadelphia and drop it off and fly back to pick it up, lol.

Klondike Mike, a member here, sells capacitor kits.

Don't know if the Console 2 is on his list of models, but a pm to him would be the way to find out.

Mike uses good-quality capacitors. There are bottom-dollar parts from China that are not so good. Rather than start with the radio's parts list and finding them that way, a complete kit is the way to go.

Reactions: Klondike Mike
Electronics components distributor. I would not attempt doing this unless you are pretty well versed in electronics repair at this level. Things can go wrong really fast. Find a good tech to do this work. Perhaps a power mic would help mask the problem until you find a good tech, that will actually work on that radio. I had a hell of a time finding one that would work on mine. The Big Name tech like Nomad Radio and Mike don’t really take in mailed in work so unless you can drop off you will need to find someone who will touch it and out here in CA most won’t. Both my SBE radios work, for now, lol. It fun to use them but I am not sure what I am gonna do if I need real work like a recap done. Perhaps catch a flight to Nomad or Mike in Philadelphia and drop it off and fly back to pick it up, lol.
Maybe we can find a "Handler" in the area to send the equipment to so they could take it to the shop? I would be willing to pay for that service.

Reactions: Dmans
Yeah you are probably right. I mean it talks and listens now so I may just keep rocking it! If it decides to quit working in the future or gets worse I could just try it then. If i screw it up I'll make a door stop out of it. Im only in the thing for less than $30. Thanks for the sound advice. No pun intended. Ducmike

Nomad and Mike, I will pay for your services, I am not Bill Gates but I do make a very good living and will pay for top notch tech service to keep my vintage radios working, yeah, it’s that important to me. Nomad Radio has been very open about helping me out so I give him some props!

... Klondike Mike, a member here, sells capacitor kits. Don't know if the Console 2 is on his list of models, but a pm to him would be the way to find out.
Thanks for the plug nomadradio. I do have a kit for the Console II. See link below;

Electrolytic capacitor kit for SBE-16CB (Console II, 23 channel)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142958015737

s-l1600.jpg

I may just have to order those caps. I was watching a video on You Tube about the Console 2 and the guy said that it was a bit of a job to recap a Console 2. He was saying that the components are through hole and have there leads bent over and then soldered to the board. He stated that desoldering was the pain.

Well got one of the SBE CIIs back, all in order, clarifier is centered, no more cut outs, it was one of the bad 7.8025MHz crystals. Working great and getting great reports, this radio really prefers the turner Super SideKick over the D104. Thing seems to be working well, only the very slightest transformer hum when I have the squelch turn up and it quiet. Thinking of leaving this one alone until I can find somebody to recap it. Then I think if it ain’t broke, right! Dropped my other one off to fix a slightly sticking S meter.

Update, well SBE#1 is having the same issues. It drifting off frequency and intermittently not transmitting or receiving on only some channels??

When it’s not working there is no tx or rx on the following channels:
7, 11, 15, 19 and then 38 (which is the crystal slot for ch 3). So there is a pattern here, every 4th ch is having the issue.

So the socket for ch. 3, 7,11,15,19 go out intermittently.

Any thoughts before it gets recycled.

Well, after messing with this all day I found the problem. Looking those channels I as having problems with are controlled by the 7.4625mhz crystal. Since I have two of these radios, I swapped that crystal, guess what, problem gone, another bad crystal. I am ordering a couple replacements for the other radio. Glad I have two of these SBE radios.

Let’s hope This was the end of it.

Nomad, question, is the trimmer pot “CV6” what is adjusted to center the clarifier on the crystal bank for ch. 1-4. Thinking if that’s how I center the clairifier I might give it a try on the other radio. Without a scope or freq counter I assume I ca listen to a QSO and adjust the pot with the clairifier know at dead center and get it as close as possible? I assume this is how to center it. Will this pot affect the TX also?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated